What's Your Favorite Bar in Key West

theotherchad

Alright here's the deal. I've done some research, but I'd rather listen to people (customers) who've been there rather than to a marketing website.

What is your favorite bar in Key West? If you don't like bars, don't drink, or don't have a wide experience of bars, please do not reply! :D

As for my preferences, I prefer a daytime bar to be open to the air, or at least the light, rather than a dark low ceilinged joint. I like a lively crowd, interesting characters and decor and good beer prices never hurt.

Let me have it, folks. I'm all ears! And thanks in advance for your kind advice!

As for my preferences, I prefer a daytime bar to be open to the air, or at least the light, rather than a dark low ceilinged joint. I like a lively crowd, interesting characters and decor and good beer prices never hurt.

Well, I was doing okay until I got to the last two criteria. Decor and good beer prices are pretty much non-existant in Key West.

Everyone will have their own opinion of course; but my suggestions would be The Schooner Wharf (for a more touristy place) or The Garden Bar at LaTeDa for more of a locals atmosphere.

Mike:)

The Green Parrot on Whitehead St & Southard Street - plenty of characters, an outstanding juke box, pool tables, darts, and some of the best live music in Key West. Their motto is:

No Cover

No Minimum

No Wonder

This is an institution amongst the Key West bars. Their "decor" is definitely interesting, with a huge parachute covering the ceiling and a collection of strange yet charming paintings.

Another quote from them is: "Your Southernmost Center for Culture. Maybe it's not for the cultural elite, but it's certainly for the culturally deprived. Just a short crawl off Duval on the corner of Southard and Whitehead."

For me, the Green Parrot is a favorite.

I will agree with Southernmost on The Green Parrot. It may be a little dark; but don't let that bother you, just charge on in. And you will certainly see the characters there.

This is a great place for beer drinkers.

Well, I was doing okay until I got to the last two criteria. Decor and good beer prices are pretty much non-existant in Key West.

Well, I had my vain little hopes! Don't worry, I'm prpared to spend whatever it takes.

Thanks Mike, lusyrsgirl & Southernmost. I will probably take a little bit of each suggestion, and do a mini-bar crawl. I say "mini" only because I do have to be back on the boat before midnight or I turn into a pumpkin. A stranded pumpkin.

Thanks again!

The most touristy place is probably Sloppy Joe's. I enjoyed it a good bit when I went. It is crowded and hard to find a table sometime but there is always loud music and loud people. The place is one of if not THE most famous bar in Key West. When i was there I went to the Hog's Breath, Captain Tony's, Sloppy Joe's, Irish Kevin's, and Fat Tuesday's. The first three most fit the open-air criteria for me. As for the decor, just sroll into Captain Tony's and see the fifty year old buisiness cards and underwear hung up on all the walls. Literally millions of them. I didn't go into the Green Parrot but it looked very interesting and it's history is not to be denied. Have fun and bottom's up!

Everyone will have their own opinion of course; but my suggestions would be The Schooner Wharf (for a more touristy place) or The Garden Bar at LaTeDa for more of a locals atmosphere.

OMG, Mike - I was going to recommend the very same two!!! Nothing like a beer (or whatever) at the Wharf & a Cosmo with a sidecar at La Te Da!;)

I am leaving for Key West in 13 days and I can't wait!! This will be my 10th trip in the last 8 years!

Our favorites are : Fat Tuesdays - they have the best drinks, good prices and a great party atmosphere.

Irish Kevins - You never know what will happen or what you will see here, also they have performers that get the crowd going so it gets pretty rowdy.

Bear Bottoms - my favorite performer Adrian is here- he used to be at Irish Kevins- also they have great drink prices.

Sloppy Joes- we only go in to see Pete and Wayne- they have a great show! However it can get crowded and the drink prices are high!

I hear they have 2 new bars -Rum Barrel and Island Dogs- I looked at there sites, they look fun but seem very corporate.

Rum Barrel has a balcony that is popular. We were driving past and noticed Rum Barrel appeared to have some roof top action also.

But for some really unusual roof top action, the roof top bar at the Bull and Whistle is clothing optional. Bull and Whistle also has a popular balcony over Duval Street, but you will need clothing, at least some clothing, to sit up there.

A popular open air place for drinks and snacks is the pier at Ocean Key Resort. I'm not sure if it is open yet because it was so badly damaged during Wilma. If it is reopened, check it out. It is right on the water. It is completely open air. No walls. The tables are covered with umbrellas. You will be able to see the sunset. There is a great band or one-man band playing there. He's not there in the day, but the place is still hopping.

Thanks to everyone. I have a direction now! :cool:

We leave for Galveston in the morning and we ship out on Sunday, so this is my last shout online until I return in a week. I think that all things considered, I'll hit Sloppy Joes, purely out of respect for Papa Hemmingway (I'm a big fan) and then head to the Schooner Wharf, LaTeDa and/or Green Parrot. Also, I'll have my brother and my cousin's husband with me so they might have their own ideas, but I'll check back in when we return to let ya'll know how things went. Muchas gracias to evereyone!;)

I had the greatest time at Irish Kevins!! The entertainment here was fabulous and we drank and laughed and had the best time! But it does not have the open air atmosphere.

Hogs Breath has a more open air type space, very interesting decor and the entertainment was good as well ...and of course the drinks....we had Hogs Breath beer and a Hogarita which were fun.

You can see some of my photos of both places that I mentioned on my photo link below in the album titled Carnival Glory - Sunday.

Serious drinking with live music outside - Schooner Wharf bar

Serious drinking no live music - Green Parrot, Captain Tony's

Serious martinis semi-outside with live jazz music - Virgillios (Right behind La Tatteria restaurant 1/2 block off duval)

Serious music with some drinking - Sloppy Joes or Hogsbreath

Serious music and semi-serious drinking - Bull and Whistle

The rest, didn't get that far! :O) BTW, compiled after years of KW experience.

Randall

Atlantic Shores is very much still there. Others in the alternative category are Aqua, Bootlegger's, LaTeDa, and Bobby's Monkey Bar.

There are plenty of bars in Key West to suit most anyone.

• 2 weeks later...
We leave for Galveston in the morning and we ship out on Sunday, so this is my last shout online until I return in a week. I think that all things considered, I'll hit Sloppy Joes, purely out of respect for Papa Hemmingway (I'm a big fan) ;)

I know you've already left but... Captain Tony's is the original Sloppy Joes and the owner was Hemmingway's fishing and drinking buddy. Hemmingway never ever had a drink at the now Sloppy Joes Bar. Not sure what happened but whatever it was happened during the middle of the night and the next morning Sloppy Joes was on Duval Street and Captain Tony's was in its present day locale.

Captain Tony's and Green Parrott are my two favorites.

Not sure what happened but whatever it was happened during the middle of the night and the next morning Sloppy Joes was on Duval Street

The owner went up on the rent $1 per week so they (and the customers) just picked up the tableschairs and moved everything to a vacant building on Duval. The story is that they never even stopped serving that evening.

Mike

It looks like others know of the Green Parrot. I met my husband in 1978. We went to the Green Parrot that month so I could meet his friend John. John was an everyday, long haired hippy back then and also the manager of the Green Parrot. His hair is short now, but our friend John is still the manager of the Green Parrot.

We used to drive the 3 hours south to see him all those years ago. Now we prefer to take a cruise and make it easyon ourselves. We will be there again in August.

The Green Parrot is for locals. If you are interested in tourist traps, go to one of the big names.

Say hi to John.:)

The green parrot has a web site, too. It should be easy to find. It's greenparrot with the usual www and com

• 2 weeks later...

Archived