Timezone Question

I put this on the Cayman island Board but this one gets more traffic. I hope it is ok.

If my Carnival itineray says port time is 7:00 am to 4:00 pm what time will it be on Cayman Islands. I am trying to book an excursion and I am getting really confused.

Thanks in advance.

I put this on the Cayman island Board but this one gets more traffic. I hope it is ok.

If my Carnival itineray says port time is 7:00 am to 4:00 pm what time will it be on Cayman Islands. I am trying to book an excursion and I am getting really confused.

Thanks in advance.

7:00AM to 4:00PM. Ships use local time. ALWAYS set your watch to the ship clock.

I suggest that you e-mail the excursion company you want to use. They know when the ships come in.

Ships don't always use local time; it is up to each captain if they change or not.

When we were in Cozumel, we met our friends who were on a Carnival ship. We had changed time zones, and they had not.

I suggest that you e-mail the excursion company you want to use. They know when the ships come in.

Ships don't always use local time; it is up to each captain if they change or not.

When we were in Cozumel, we met our friends who were on a Carnival ship. We had changed time zones, and they had not.

Are you telling me this??? ship left Miami at 4:00PM, Miami time. Ship docks in Cozumel-6:00AM, Cozumel time. But the Carnival ship thinks it docked at 8:00AM because the captain didn't change time zones. Going Westbound wouldn't present many problems, in fact, everyone would probably be early returning to the ship. But I can't imagine this happening going Eastbound. You would have half the ship still partying in port-'we have two more hours'.

I have never been on a Caribbean cruise. There is only an hour or two time difference on those cruises between ports. But believe me-on any of our cruises (all "exotics", except one to Alaska), if they used whatever time the ship left the first port as the time, half the ship would still be stuck at the last port. LOL!!!

I have been on well over 20 cruises and the ship always goes with the local time and this is done for the reason that was mentioned. It would be too confusing if the ship went with one time which was different than the local time. And, this included a Carnival cruise that I took many years ago from Los Angeles to Mexico and back to Los Angeles. We changed the clocks each time we went into a new time zone.

Keith

Are you telling me this??? ship left Miami at 4:00PM, Miami time. Ship docks in Cozumel-6:00AM, Cozumel time. But the Carnival ship thinks it docked at 8:00AM because the captain didn't change time zones. Going Westbound wouldn't present many problems, in fact, everyone would probably be early returning to the ship. But I can't imagine this happening going Eastbound. You would have half the ship still partying in port-'we have two more hours'.

I have never been on a Caribbean cruise. There is only an hour or two time difference on those cruises between ports. But believe me-on any of our cruises (all "exotics", except one to Alaska), if they used whatever time the ship left the first port as the time, half the ship would still be stuck at the last port. LOL!!!

I am just telling you what happened to us and our friends. If you don't believe me, oh, well. The OP asked a question and I gave him/her a suggestion and some information.

cruised Princess and they definately change to local times as well. I have to say when I cruised Carnival Triumph (Feb. 2004) they also changed to the local port time.

We have only cruised Celebrity and have cruised the Caribbean several times. On some of our cruises, the ship changed to local time and on some with the same itinerary, the ship stayed on Fort Lauderdale time (the cruise director even made a point of saying that you should set your watch to ship time and don't ask the time in port).

On one way voyages (embark from one port, disembark in another), the ship always changes time to match the time zone.

As a previous poster said, the tour operators know the times the ships are in port. They are even aware of delays or even last minute changes in port times.

On Celebrity, they are very good about letting you know when you have to change times - a notice is put in the daily and a card is left on your bed with your chocolates. Always set your watch to ship time and you won't have a problem.

Archived