Train vs car from Anchorage to Seward

misha1

Can anyone sway me one way or the other? My TA strongly suggests the train ride...stating "it's a no hassle way to travel between the two towns." But, she has us booked through Celebrity with their transfers to the rail station in Anchorage and from the rail station to the ship in Seward. I always feel like cattle to slaughter when using the ship transfers. According to my documents that I have now (not the final ones) we would not leave until the afternoon train ride and this gets us to Seward late afternoon. I really like to be on the ship sooner than this. I will feel like I have lost the whole day. If, however, the ride is mountainous and difficult, or finding the peir and parking a car at the pier is "no fun" then I would prefer the train. I am probably overthinking this but we are traveling for the first time in Alaska and we are bringing with us some first time cruisers... and I want their experience to be smooth and enjoyable. Thanks a bunch!

I hear that Anch. - Seward is the best part of the ARR. The highway is very busy, but a nice drive. The drive would be about 2 hours, not counting on delays and scenic stops.

The ARR ride would about 4 hours. I think the afternoon Cruise Train arrive around 5:30pm. There would probably be around a few hundred on the train with you, check-in shouldn't be too bad. Parking at the Seward Terminal isn't bad at all.

You don't need a TA, you found this place! Tell her there is a 6:45am departure from Anch to Seward arriving 11:00am for almost half the price of the cruiseline train transfer. If your staying overnight in Anch, Shipcreek Comfort Inn is a block away from the train depot. She is right on the train not being a hassle and it is a nice relaxing ride, the way I suggest going.

Once in Seward it is easy to hop in a taxi for $5 to drop off luggage. Then you can go on a wildlife cruise or visit the Sealife Center, Exit Glacier, 2 kinds of dog sled rides as a start of the things you can do in the afternoon before boarding your ship. I wouldn't be in a hurry to get on. It won't leave till around 9pm and you have the next 7 days to explore it.

Consider Seward as a port of call with many activities. If time allows arrive a day early via the train. :)

Thanks for the info. Can you tell me, are we able to prebook a seat at that time on the ARR? The one benefit to leaving at the later time is we could see a little bit of Anchorage, as we don't arrive until 8 pm the night before. We have rooms at the Clarion. Bad choice? Went by price only and it seemed somewhat centrally located.

Can anyone sway me one way or the other? My TA strongly suggests the train ride...stating "it's a no hassle way to travel between the two towns."

If all you need is transportation, then the train sounds like a fun way to go, easy, scenic, and a good experience. Hopefully you might find time in Seward to explore the Alaska SeaLife Center. Also, maybe a fjord cruise in Seward if you had time.

Thanks for the info. Can you tell me, are we able to prebook a seat at that time on the ARR? The one benefit to leaving at the later time is we could see a little bit of Anchorage, as we don't arrive until 8 pm the night before. We have rooms at the Clarion. Bad choice? Went by price only and it seemed somewhat centrally located.

You can get reservations for the 6:45am train, if that is what your asking. There is a big difference in price from the two times. Early morning leaves from downtown and the "cruise train" leaves from the airport.

Clarion Suites isn't bad. Your not very far from the train depot. I stayed there last fall but I didn't like cause they are all non-smoking.( I didn't pay either.)

You don't state the dates your arriving but you might be able to check out Anch when you arrive. Remember we have those long summer days with lots of light. :)

I suggest you might want to take advantage of your time and get to Kenai fjords, rather than a short time wandering in Anchorage. The regular run of the Alaska RR, allows you time in Seward which is a do not miss gem.

As a suggestion consider the 11:30am Alaska Heritage boat tour, superior glacier viewing and plenty of varied wildlife. http://www.kenaifjords.com

I am now strongly favoring the drive to Seward from Anchorage. It will allow my group to be on our own time schedule. By all indications, the drive is a pleasant one and on good highways. Can anyone tell me the official name of the port in Seward...I want to do a map quest. The fjord tour sounds lovely. Who knew there was so much to do and see in Alaska. I will have to save some for next time cuz I know I won't get to see it all this time!!

There is a map in the Seward visitor guide I believe??? http://www.sewardak.org

Yes the Seward Highway is a well maintained road. Can be overloaded with traffic in summer. Allow 3 hours, at least Anchorage/Seward.

If you haven't already, reserve NOW, only agency is Hertz, expect rates $200/day+++

Would anyone happen to know how far it is from the train depot in Seward to the Sealife Center? Walking distance? Is it closer to walk to from the ship? We are traveling from Anchorage on the am train and have RC transfers.

Would anyone happen to know how far it is from the train depot in Seward to the Sealife Center? Walking distance? Is it closer to walk to from the ship? We are traveling from Anchorage on the am train and have RC transfers.

With no mobility limitations, it is a very nice walk, I've done it several times, probably a two miles. The ship and train depot are closer together, about 1/4-1/2 mile.

If you have "RC" transfers???- to where? If you are taking the "am train"?? Most cruise contracted trains leave early afternoon?

If you have "RC" transfers???- to where? If you are taking the "am train"?? Most cruise contracted trains leave early afternoon?

Ahh, I get it. My transfer is just from the Airport in Anchorage I guess. We are staying over one night and I saw the train departure schedule for 6:45 am and automatically assumed we would be on it! Thanks for the info:)

Are you saying that Hertz is the only car rental agency that does a one-way rental? My TA just told me that there are no agencies that do this in Alaska(but far be it from me to believe this without further investigation).

Great suggestion, I even caught my TA off guard with this one. We are reserved and ready to go. I have another question Glacier Lady. Map quest says that the trip from Anchorage to Seward takes 4 hours and 44 minutes but is only 126 miles. Can you tell my why it takes so long? I live 120 miles south of the twin cities and it takes me 2 hours to get there. Why so long to get to Seward? It's great to have cc members that actually lives in these places. The knowledge and experiences passed along is priceless. Thanks so much.

City limit to city limit can be done in 2 hours with no delays, no stops at all, but during summer that is rare. I always say allow 3 hours travel time. Road construction is going on here and it took me over 30 mins to go 2 miles today. Maybe they figured the times a few years ago or during the summer or during a blizzard. It has taken me over 6 hours before. Accidents are common and can close the road for hours. RV's can slow traffic way down too.

Not to scare you but there has been 36 deaths in less than a year. Two of my friends were almost added to that list 2 months ago. Neither are back to work yet. It wasn't their fault. Another vehicle lost control and came into their lane.

Please drive carefully!

My advice is to take your TA's advice and go with the train. Why take the chance of ruining your vacation and cruise before it has started? You will see and experience plenty of Alaska on the train and reduce the risk you would other wise be exposed to. Driving in Alaska can be hazardous, even during the best season. Sit back, relax, see the sights and leave the driving to someone else. The risks of driving vs. any potential gain are not worth it, in my humble opinion.

I took the train and then toured all over kenai peninsula on my own.

If you have the time, I'd definitely explore Kenai a bit on a driving trip instead of train. Kind of crazy to zip through it unless you have no choice.

Also the kenai fjords boat tours (out of seward) are a must do, really. If your cruise ends in Seward you can easily stroll from the ship to the nearby tour shed.

Wow!!! Who knew? Well, you have given me food for thought. The point was to leave from Anchorage and get to Seward earlier than the train allowed but maybe that would be out the window with this new information. I am accustomed to driving on 4 lane highways with few construction delays so this would not be pleasant at all. Thanks a bunch...again!

Hi. I strongly recommend you travel by car IF you can find one at a reasonable price. We traveled the reverse direction (toured Alaska on our own after cruising to Seward) four years ago and very much enjoyed the drive. Plus, you don't waste an entire day with just train travel. The road is NOT difficult at all. The more winding roads (still not at all frightening & I hate heights) are up north near Denali. I can't remember the name of the car rental but I think there was only Hertz and one other and there was a huge difference in price. Good luck & enjoy your trip. Didi

It has been a few years but this is what We did with Princess. We flew into Anchorage a day ahead of the cruise. Stayed at Marriott. We used transfers Princess offers. This made it quite easy for me. They took care of the luggage at the airport and dropped me at the hotel. The luggage went to the room and the next morning we brought the luggage down (bell hop) they took it and they put it on the train. Bus ride to the train. This was a morning train. At the train they gave us tickets to indicate which car we were on. The cars were almost all four top tables. Great windows and good views. Food and beverage available on the train.

If you smoke you have to get with a conductor and find the platform that they allow smoking on. Good Luck. The train went all the way to the port. We got off the train and walked to the terminal and checked in. Luggage was delivered to the Mini-Suite within 2 hours.

The "other" train goes directly from airport to Seward.

Are you saying that Hertz is the only car rental agency that does a one-way rental? My TA just told me that there are no agencies that do this in Alaska(but far be it from me to believe this without further investigation).

Sorry, your TA is wrong.

Can you please tell me the differnce between the train you are referring to and the airport train? And, Glacier lady, why so many traffic deaths on one stretch of hightway? Is this a two lane highway?

Archived