Train vs car from Anchorage to Seward

misha1

It is a two lane hwy. Icy conditions in the winter and excessive speed account for a number of the accidents. Additionally, there are numerous passing lanes but, it seems, there's always someone in a hurry and they simply must pass the car in front of them at all costs.

It is, however, a beautiful drive and one huge advantage to driving is the ability to take your time and to stop for photos or sightseeing along the way. We've driven it many times year round without incident and I would definitely give the drive a big thumbs up.

After our cruise last summer we rented a Pacifica in Anchorage and drove to Seward for the Kenai Fjords 6hr tour (one of the highlights of our Alaska trip) and stayed a few days at the Marina Motel. (had a pleasant stay)

It was a beautiful drive and we almost ran out of gas - so be sure to fill up if driving - there are not a lot of gas stations inbetween. It was nice to be able to stop where and when you want. (Exit Glacier was nice).

After travelling to Talkeetna, we ended up back in Anchorage to return the vehicle - was a great trip - you'll enjoy it.

Graham

Can you please tell me the differnce between the train you are referring to and the airport train? And, Glacier lady, why so many traffic deaths on one stretch of hightway? Is this a two lane highway?

The cruiselines contract with Alaska RR, running their own cars. These trains are considerably more costly than just the regular direct booked Alaska RR. The Anchorage/Denali Park/Fairbanks- all run at the same time. Anchorage/Seward and Anchorage/Whittier have separate train runs- regular run and cruise contracted.

Anytime can be bad for traffic. Very early morning you'll have buses heading to Seward or Whittier to pick up and then return a couple hours later. Afternoon is buses loaded with passengers to drop off and a bit later they return back to Anch empty. Late night you have the semi traffic. During the day is everything else and then some, rv's/tourists,boats with trailers etc. Also alot of people heading towards Soldotna/Homer that don't have the train option.

Alaskancruzr stated well why alot of accidents. Alot of the hwy is 65mph but so many speed beyond that, 80mph is not uncommon. I feel cruise control should be banned.

The drive is really pretty. Sometimes I drive it many times a week and I always enjoy it, even in blizzards. The added ..Are we going to get there element..lmao, can be nerve racking but exciting.

I've also taken the train many times. Unfortunatly it doesn't work for a Seward resident for a day trip to Anch. The scenery is better from the train and a much better chance at seeing wildlife. There isn't all the traffic keeping animals away such as with the hwy. My 1st time I was surprised how quiet the train is.

With the costs of a rental car and gas over $3 a gallon, the train is really a good option. It helps cut down on the road traffic, road wear, pollution from exhaust, parking hassles (don't even try here around 4th of July). Ok, I'll end with that.

If driving, make sure to buy a copy of the Milepost. Gives great detailed mile by mile info. :)

We are planning to go to the Wildlife Conservation Center and Portage Glacier from Anchorage on 5/20. We will be doing this drive on a Saturday. Will we also be in the midst of traffic? Thanks in advance for your response.

If you're just going straight to anchorage, sure take the train.

But if you can get a few more vacation days, how about staying on the Kenai peninsula? So many beautiful spots all over it. I stayed one night in Homer and took ferry to Kodiak island, stayed there for a week.

Several places on the peninsula I want to explore on a future trip...

You shouldn't have much of a traffic problem in May. The majority of the seasonal traffic doesn't begin until after Memorial Day weekend. If you have the time, check out the signs at the pull-outs along Turnagain Arm - they are full of interesting information.

The traffic shouldn't be as bad on Sept. 2nd - most locals head out on Friday but it will be busy. Keep in mind that heavy traffic for us is nothing like heavy traffic many places. It moves along steadily unless the road's been closed down and that's not a common occurance. If you are not in a big hurry, you should have no problem.

Archived