Straying to Holland America due to itinerary how does it compare to Celebrity?

katiebeth

We have booked our first cruise on Holland America because we like the itinerary. We will be sailing on the Zuiderdam for a 7 night Caribbean cruise

that includes Grand Turk, Turks, and Caicos, Tortola, St. Thomas and Half Moon Cay, Bahamas.

Has anyone sailed this particular ship and itinerary? If so how did you enjoy it? We are Celebrity loyalists and wondering how Holland Americas Vista class ships compare to Celebrity's "M"class ships.

We are so spoiled by Celebrity, I am wondering what we can expect as far as differences. I am assuming there are areas where one line excels over the other. I am wondering about the food and overall service on Holland America. We have booked a verendah suite that includes access to their Neptune lounge. (don't know how much of a perk this is or how much we will use it).

As far as their dinner seatings it looks like they offer early and main (upper and lower) Does anyone know what upper and lower mean and which is preferred? (if either)

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Nancy

Katiebeth ~ we just did the same thing, although we booked Veendam (a smaller ship). I'm expecting we will thoroughly enjoy our cruise on HAL. I've read a lot on both boards (HAL and Celebrity) and feel we'll enjoy the Veendam a great deal.

The "upper" and "lower" refers to the level of the dining room (there are two levels -- an upper dining room and a lower dining room just like the M-class ships). HAL does their seating a bit differently in that they vary the start times of their upper and lower dining rooms. I don't think it matters much which one your are on. We'll choose the time we like best, probably the 8:00 PM seating instead of the 8:30 for the late choices.

Hope you have a great time.

We sailed on the Westerdam in February. Celebrity had been our favourite cruise line up to then. Now, we think we like Holland America slightly better. Both lines are almost equal. Food and service was great on the Westerdam, very attentive. The T-pool on the M class ships is free, while on Holland America there was a charge. There is no Aqua Spa area or Aqua Spa cafe on HA. I think that if you like one, then you will like the other.

Shelley

Nancy - We are generally X cruisers, but sailed on the Zuiderdam two years ago as we saw a really good price on a balcony cabin for a 7-day Caribbean cruise. You can read my review here, which contains some comparisons with our Celebrity experiences: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=5929

In retrospect, I guess our big-picture thoughts were that the hardware was impressive, but the software was lacking. By hardware, I mean the ship was generally beautiful, our cabin was the nicest "standard" balcony we've ever had, the various lounges and public areas (the library, the gym and spa, etc.) were mostly elegant, impressive, and comfortable. I loved the gym and especially the private T-pool, not open to everyone like on Celebrity's M-class ships. By software, we mean that the service was generally lacking compared to X. Our cabin steward frequently didn't make up our room until the afternoon - on X they scurry into our room when we leave to go to the gym at 7 a.m. Our waiter and asst waiter hardly said five words to our table all week they were so overwhelmed, and the sommelier seemed to be serving the entire lower level she was so busy. We also had constant problems with language, which has never been a concern on Celebrity - bar stewards, etc. seemed to have trouble understanding or speaking English! Their version of a coffee bar is more like a Starbucks: coffee is served in cardboard cups and you have to stand in line to get it, nothing like the Cova Cafes we're used to.

The food itself was good although the portions were too big (I know that food and appropriate portion size is VERY subjective!), the entertainment both in the theaters and the lounges was top-notch, and the ship and cabins were generally elegant. Many nice touches such as candy and mints as you leave the dining room; hot hors d'ouvres in lounges before dinner; chilled towels in the gym; elegant room service china (hot things are served on a warmer - I've never seen that outside of a Ritz-Carlton); a tub in all cabins.

I've understood that the Zuiderdam is "HAL lite" in that the service is somewhat less than that on all HAL's other ships, perhaps since it only stays in the Caribbean where it has to compete more on price than service. We do plan to give HAL another try but will try one of their smaller ships on a different itinerary.

I'm sure you'll have a nice time, especially in a suite with extra services. Enjoy!

We love Celebrity but have sailed the Zuiderdam 3x's in a Deluxe Verandah Suite. On Celebrity we always travel in the CC class. We love Holland's suite and the verandah that goes with it. You will have two chairs with ottomans, small side table, large dining table with chairs. The Neptune Lounge is a real plus. They always have non alcoholic drinks and snacks available throughout the day until around 8pm when they close. The concierge is very helpful in booking any excursions, Pinnacle reservations, special requests and handling paperwork and money exchanges for you so you do not need to go to the front desk. I have seen them deal with some very difficult passengers and they are always quite professional. You will love the free laundry, pressing and drycleaning service that comes with your suite. Use it, it makes your trip less stressful with all those wrinkles. Beds in the Suite are absolutely, with no exception IMO, the best beds at sea. The bath is great with two sinks, separate shower area and a large tub. I cannot say enough about the comfort level I find the suite and it's amenities provides. You will love it.

We have always dined on the upper level on the rail as we request a table for 2. We enjoy this location. Holland has four seatings, 5:45 upper, 6:15 lower, 8:00 upper and 8:30 lower, I think. I might be off 15 minutes here or there. Service is always delivered with a smile. I do find Celebrity service a little more formal (European). Both are good, just a little different. Food IMO is pretty much the same. Some items on Holland we like better and some on Celebrity we enjoy more. Do make sure you try their bread pudding in the lido.

I do miss the aqua spa and the deck ten aft dining that we enjoy so much on the M class ships. I think the M class ships are prettier but my DH thinks they are both about the same. Entertainment about the same and room stewards service the same. As I mentioned above, we love both lines. If you have any other specific questions, please ask, someone will try to help. Enjoy your planning and have a great cruise!!!

We have cruised Zuiderdam and Westerdam, I think it is better to go with the upper dining area, we had the late lower on Zuiderdam and when they increased the ships speed, the vibration is really bad, like base drums...I preffered X food more european, service great on both, wine service better on X, and more varied nationalities of staff. Cabin are great on HAL, room service excellent, had it every am. X had interactive TV, HAL order on card and hang on door. All in all both have great cruises.

We also fell in love with Celebrity on our Infinity cruise this past February. We were going to do the Constellation next winter, but the 11 day was stretching our budget too thin. So we're going on HAL Westerdam. I loved the itinerary...7 day cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale with port stops in Half Moon Cay, Aruba, and Curacao. It's very unusual to see a 7 day cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale that does the southern Caribbean. I'm anxious to see how the two cruiselines compare.

We also fell in love with Celebrity on our Infinity cruise this past February. We were going to do the Constellation next winter, but the 11 day was stretching our budget too thin. So we're going on HAL Westerdam. I loved the itinerary...7 day cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale with port stops in Half Moon Cay, Aruba, and Curacao. It's very unusual to see a 7 day cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale that does the southern Caribbean. I'm anxious to see how the two cruiselines compare.

Jerseygirl3,

We are huge Celebrity fans, but will jump to a HAL ship in a heart beat. We have one Celebrity cruise coming up and two cruises on the Westerdam. We are doing the same itinerary as you; we leave in March on that 7 day cruise to the deep Caribbean (HMC, Aruba and Curacao). Sounds like a high speed trip!:rolleyes: :)

Celebrity is the best, but HAL has some great itineraries!

Enjoy!

Kel

Thanks everyone for posting. I think we will really enjoy HAL and are very much looking forward to our cruise.

Since my original post we have switched to the Westerdam 7 day Eastern Caribbean Christmas cruise. Kelmac ....it looks like we are on the same cruise!

We were originally on the Thanksgiving sailing on Zuiderdam and waitlisted for the Dec. 16 sailing (in either an SA or SB category) but a couple of conflicts in our childrens' and husbands schedule came up over the weekend. Consequently, we are now on the Westerdam Christmas cruise.

I do have a question for those that have sailed with HAL before. We are waitlisted for the early lower (6:15 p.m. seating). The only seating that is currently available is the 8:30 p.m. which is really too late for our children (ages 10 and 12). How accomodating is HAL in terms of trying to honor seating requests?

Based on the category of our stateroom, one of the perks offered by HAL is preference in terms of dining times and table size. However, the HAL agent wasn't terribly reassuring in terms of whether we would be accomodated or not. She basically indicated that HAL would give it consideration.

Would love to hear from those who have sailed HAL in terms of your experiences with the dining times and being waitlisted.

Thanks again to everyone who has taken the time to post.

Nancy

Thanks everyone for posting. I think we will really enjoy HAL and are very much looking forward to our cruise.

Since my original post we have switched to the Westerdam 7 day Eastern Caribbean Christmas cruise. Kelmac ....it looks like we are on the same cruise!

We were originally on the Thanksgiving sailing on Zuiderdam and waitlisted for the Dec. 16 sailing (in either an SA or SB category) but a couple of conflicts in our childrens' and husbands schedule came up over the weekend. Consequently, we are now on the Westerdam Christmas cruise.

I do have a question for those that have sailed with HAL before. We are waitlisted for the early lower (6:15 p.m. seating). The only seating that is currently available is the 8:30 p.m. which is really too late for our children (ages 10 and 12). How accomodating is HAL in terms of trying to honor seating requests

Hi Nancy!

Welcome to the Westerdam holiday cruise! We have a roll call going on over on that board, come join us. :)

Not sure how the wait listing works? I do like the fact that on Holland America I can request a specific table in the dining room. We are in the 5:45 upper seating because we like eating early and we prefer the upper portion of the dining room. I have a seating map if you have any requests.

Once again, welcome to the Westerdam.

Kel

HAL is usually pretty good about trying to accomodate dining requests. After you board the ship and settle in go see the Maitre 'd and he should be able to do some shuffling around.

What I like better about HAL:

- The beds: AMAZING!

- The service overall (except in the dining room)

- Cabins overall are very nicely appointed

- Elemis amenities now on most ships

- The Suites and suite perks; spoiled me big time~

What I like better about X:

- The Aqua Spa Cafe

- The decor and flow of the M class ships

- Main dining room food and service

- Live music and nightlife

- The Martini's

I did not like the layout of the ZUI, nor did I care for the decor. I also missed having a central atrium of a decent size and a lobby bar. Actually, the Crow's Nest was pretty but not used much on our cruise. We ended up in the PG when we wanted a good martini or nice glass of wine.

Holland America is a nice line, thank goodness that even though Carnival owns them, they are run independently.

If you like Celebrity I believe you will like Holland America also.

One thing I noticed was the people tend to be older on Holland America. That didn't bother us at all, but it is noticable.

We had great service, the ships are elegant like Celebrity, not flashy like Carnival. Everyone was very nice.

Good Luck and enjoy your cruise, which ever line you choose.

Thanks to all who replied.

Kelmac: Thanks for the invite to join you on the HAL roll call for the Holiday cruise. I will definitely look into it. Also, I did not know that you could request a specific table on HAL. How does that work and how do you know which table to request (is there a diagram of the dining room)?

Crofton Bill: Thanks for the great tip on the speciality dining on the first night. What a great deal! We really want to try the Pinacle Grill. Do you have to wait until you board to make reservations?

Looking forward to our sailing.

Thanks,

nancy

Thanks to all who replied.

Kelmac: Thanks for the invite to join you on the HAL roll call for the Holiday cruise. I will definitely look into it. Also, I did not know that you could request a specific table on HAL. How does that work and how do you know which table to request (is there a diagram of the dining room)?

Nancy,

email me = mccoyote@msn.com and I will forward the dining room map to you. Just locate the table (upper or lower) you want and request it by contacting HAL on their website. (see contact link at the bottom of their website page)

Enjoy!

Kel

HAL is usually pretty good about trying to accomodate dining requests. After you board the ship and settle in go see the Maitre 'd and he should be able to do some shuffling around.

If you are in a deluxe suite, I'd go to the Neptune Lounge immediately upon boarding and ask their help. They were very accomodating to us in January on the Oosterdam when we absolutely hated our table mates the first night. (Let's just say they were from a different colored state than ours and insisted on talking politics all during dinner).

I was on the Volendam in March and we had pre-booked the first night of the cruise in the Pinnacle. Credit card was charged the normal amount, but when we boarded the ship the Pinnacle was being advertised as half-price that night. My cabinmate took the confirmation showing we had pre-paid the regular rate and was given a credit for the difference.....

Claudia

I was on the Volendam in March and we had pre-booked the first night of the cruise in the Pinnacle. Credit card was charged the normal amount, but when we boarded the ship the Pinnacle was being advertised as half-price that night. My cabinmate took the confirmation showing we had pre-paid the regular rate and was given a credit for the difference.....

Claudia

HAL needs to their act together on this. I called to make reservations in Feb for my some in my group as well as myself for a 3/25 sailing as was told it was stopped fleetwide as of 2/1.

Then I called to book for my OS sailing coming up and asked the question and was told the same thing.

Consistency is always appreciated as I really hate to provide my clients with incorrect info.

The half price Pinnicle deal was stopped--it is a shame but I believe that it is still $20pp, compared to $30ppfor Celebrity. I love these threads because I'm a HAL loyalist who just jumped to my first Celebrity cruise because of itinerary.

We like the smaller HAL ships better than the Vista ships, having sailed the Oosterdam on a 13 day trans-canal, but since we are booked on the Millennium, I am assuming that the size and experience will be similar to the HAL vistas.

I'm encouraged because the overall wisdom seems to be that other than some small differences the two lines are the same. As for me--I'm looking forward to welcome champagne, but I'll miss the bathtub and the beds on HAL.

I'm always fascinated why people list the bathtub found in HAL cabins as one of the upsides. The term "small" would be an understatement. Think shower bottom with high sides. For a person over 6 ft tall, getting any portion of your anatomy other than your feet and ankles into the water would be a major accomplishment worthy of a circus contortionist.

Let's put it this way: if having a jacuzzi footbath is important to your cruise experience, the tub is an asset!

That said, HAL's mattresses are to die for -- at least figurately...

George+

Archived