Vancouver Info if needed

Only because we will soon be heading to the Alaska cruise season and the fact that there is so much information on this thread .... well am I taking the liberty of "bumping" here.

I thought I'd take advantage of this great thread and get some final opinions.

I'll be taking the Skytrain from YVR to the Vancouver City Centre Station to go to our hotel, the St. Regis.

Two questions

1. Is this the right stop? It looks like it won't be more than a 2 block walk.

2. Can we walk to Canada Place from the St. Regis or would you recommend a cab? It doens't look that far, but I don't know what the terrain is.

I'll be taking the Skytrain from YVR to the Vancouver City Centre Station to go to our hotel, the St. Regis.

Two questions

2. Can we walk to Canada Place from the St. Regis or would you recommend a cab? It doens't look that far, but I don't know what the terrain is.

Yes, that the station I would get off at and it is just a slightly downhill walk of about 2 blocks. By all means if you can handle your luggage by yourself you can easily walk to Canada Place from the St. Regis; it is slightly downhill and about 6 blocks or less. If you think of it when you come back would you post your thoughts on the St. Regis, I am not sure that we have ever heard from anyone who stayed there.

Yes, that the station I would get off at and it is just a slightly downhill walk of about 2 blocks. By all means if you can handle your luggage by yourself you can easily walk to Canada Place from the St. Regis; it is slightly downhill and about 6 blocks or less. If you think of it when you come back would you post your thoughts on the St. Regis, I am not sure that we have ever heard from anyone who stayed there.

Thanks for the info. I'll let you know about the St. Regis. Tripadvisor has them rated very high and it seems like a very nice little "boutique" hotel. The location seems ideal.

Hi Putterdude

We are staying at the Sandman Hotel Georgia Street is the Waterfront Station the nearest exit to take

Thanks for your help

Hi Putterdude

We are staying at the Sandman Hotel Georgia Street is the Waterfront Station the nearest exit to take

Thanks for your help

I am assuming that you are taking the Canada Line from YVR. That being the case I would get off at the City Centre Station and walk the 4 blocks or so east on West Georgia St. To go to Waterfront would be a much longer walk and a bit uphill.

We are two couples who have a late flight out after the cruise. We are looking for an inexpensive hotel downtown to drop off our luggage and freshen up before our flight. We will tour Vancouver for a few hours but after that we have no place to go. Any suggestions?

We are staying at the Days Inn and there are several Sushi restaurants around the area: Urban, Tsunami, Zero One, Komi, Natoi, Miko, etc. Which would recommend? Thanks!

I have enjoyed Tsunami but my fave is Shabusen, which is on the 2nd floor of 765 Burrard.

We are two couples who have a late flight out after the cruise. We are looking for an inexpensive hotel downtown to drop off our luggage and freshen up before our flight. We will tour Vancouver for a few hours but after that we have no place to go. Any suggestions?

The Fairmont at the airport has day rooms but going all the way out there defeats what you want to accomplish. My suggestion would be to contact some of the major hotels in the downtown core and ask them them if them have a day room; I would try the Pan Pacific, Fairmont Waterfront and Hyatt Regency to begin with.

I have enjoyed Tsunami but my fave is Shabusen, which is on the 2nd floor of 765 Burrard.

I have a strange favourite sushi joint; upstairs in the Korean supermarket "H Mart" at the corner of Robson and Seymour. No ambiance whatsoever, but great sushi.

Shabusen is fun because it's an all you can eat sushi (and some other menu items) it's about $15 for lunch, a little more for dinner. However, it's often VERY busy over the lunch time, so try and arrive after 1 if you're going for lunch.

Hi Putterdude

Thanks very much for the info,I will get the map out and mark that route

Help much appreciated

I have the map for you already :o

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100934763039761071004.000467645fcda21dd87b2&ll=49.279481,-123.107429&spn=0.011101,0.033023&z=16

The Sandman is at the Corner of Cambie and West Georgia, the Skytrain Line from the airport (Vancouver City Centre station) is West Georgia and Granville..

I have the map for you already :o

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100934763039761071004.000467645fcda21dd87b2&ll=49.279481,-123.107429&spn=0.011101,0.033023&z=16

The Sandman is at the Corner of Cambie and West Georgia, the Skytrain Line from the airport (Vancouver City Centre station) is West Georgia and Granville..

Hi Scottbee

Thanks very much for you help

• 4 weeks later...

Two questions

Much like the above poster, I'd like to take advantage of this great thread & get some final thoughts on my plans.

We'll be buying a day buspass & take the Skytrain from YVR to the City Centre Station to go to our hotel, the Blue Horizon.

1) Is this the right stop? It looks like it is 5 blocks or so.

2) If it's raining, will there be taxis near the City Centre station?

3) From the Blue Horizon, it looks like I can walk over to W Pender and grab the 19 stanley park bus to Stanley Park. (I'm assuming dropoff will hopefully be near the Aquarium.)

4) It looks like I can take the route 19 bus from the park to get back near the Blue Horizon hotel.

5) If it's not too late, we might try to take the route 5 bus from Blue Horizon to over by gastown(get off near W Hastings). Perhaps dinner at the Steamworks Brewing Co.

6) I would like to try to see Chinatown, but I'm not sure if it's safe to walk from gastown to Chinatown at night.

7) Plan B is: If we're exhausted from Stanley Park, we walk from Blue Horizon to Carderos for dinner.

I will try to answer your questions in the order you have posed them:

1. Yes, you will get off a the City Centre Station, it is closest to to the Blue Horizon.

2. No, it is not likely that you will find a cab outside the station but you could nip into London Drugs and ask them to call you a cab.

3. The #19 bus is the one you want...tell the bus driver what you want and he will get you as close as he can. There are buses on Burrard north bound that will take you down to Pender..no need to walk. I will attach a trip planner at the end of this.

4.& 5 A #19 bus will get you back to close to the BH, if you want to go direct to Gastown then a transfer to a #3 or #7 would likely be better. A # 5 will get you close to Gastown from your hotel.

6. I would not recommend a walk into or from Chinatown after dark.

7.If Cardero's is it then that is a great choice.

You have worn me out...have a great time.

http://tripplanning.translink.ca/hiwire

thanks so much, Putterdude.

I wish I had more than 20 hrs in Vancouver, but at least I'll get a taste of it this time. It looks like there is a government liquor store on Robson near Blue Horizon and some other ones, so I should be good purchasing my 2 bottles of wines for Celebrity cruise. It sounds like shopping is available on Robson, so I should be good to buy shirt souvenirs for my daughters who will be left at home.:p

PD - they could also walk one block to the Four Seasons where there are usually taxis waiting.

Agree on the short walk from Gastown to Chinatown - although with the new Carrall St Greenway and improved lighting while still scary with the assortment of characters that make that area home they generally while a nuisance tend to leave passerbys alone.

There is a wine merchant - Liberty wines located in the Blue Horizon complex but yes the Government store is close and convenient.

The #19 bus ends just a short walk to the Aquarium at the end of the line so no need to worry which stop it is.

Hope this further helps

Cheers

Dennis

• 3 weeks later...

I have searched this thread, so if this question has been asked please forgive me. What would be our best bet for transportation from YVR to the Westin Bayshore? I'm not crazy about manhandling all my luggage, so I'd like the simplest solution. How much would a cab cost? BTW, this thread is a wealth of information. Thanks so much for all the time you put into it.

Edited by cleophus12

I have searched this thread, so if this question has been asked please forgive me. What would be our best bet for transportation from YVR to the Westin Bayshore? I'm not crazy about manhandling all my luggage, so I'd like the simplest solution. How much would a cab cost? BTW, this thread is a wealth of information. Thanks so much for all the time you put into it.

Given those parameters...and I understand, your best option would be a cab. Depending upon time of day and traffic conditions your cab fare will be in the $35 to $40 range with it likely being at the higher end of the scale latter in the afternoon. There are also limos at the curb at YVR and your fare would be $47 plus taxes and tip. The cab fare from the Bayshore to Canada Place will run you $10 to $12.

Thanks for your kind remarks, the pleasure is all ours...have a great time in the city and a wonderful cruise.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Any suggestions for precruise hotel for 4 nights for family of 4. Mid price range, close to hop on hop off bus and in safe location. Need 2 double beds to sleep, don't care about pool, parking or any other amenities.

Here is a list in no particular order, there are others but this should be a good start:

Times Square Hotel link

Sandman Hotel Downtown link

Hampton Inn and Suites link

Rosedale on Robson link

Holiday Inn and Suites link

The Cascadia link

The Landis link

I just came across this thread and was pleasantly surprised to see my question about accommodation answered.

I notice prices are often quoted to 30th September. Is this because prices drop in October, being the start of the off season? We're looking at a couple of nights from Wednesday, 13th October - a couple and a single - so would need two bedrooms.

Can you see any problem with waiting until closer to the date?