Vancouver Info if needed

We are coming in on carnival spirit on wed, May 4 at 8 am. Is it possible to catch a flight that is leaving the airport at 10:30 to the US if we do a walk off with our own bags? The flight is on WestJet.

Thanks.

My smart a** answer would be yes on the 5th. Sorry.

If your ship is really timed for 8 am the answer is not very likely. International travel to USA clears at the airport here so along with security traffic getting off the ship in the first place we usually guess at about noon being the earliest for a flt at yvr. Personally I would want after 1PM

Usually I have walked off a Ship in Vancouver about 8:00 A.M. It is then at least 1/2 hour to the airport. So in THEORY you would have enough time. I for 1 would not count on the theory, as if the ship were late and you got off at 8:30 and had a long line to clear Canadian Customs and Immigration, you could be looking at 9:30 at the Airport, and if US Customs and Immigration are busy when you get there, (And I have seen and heard about very long slow lines at YVR for US Customs and Immigration) you could very easily miss a 10:30 A.M. flight.

Hi my friend - you were very helpful on our first visit to Yancouver for our Alaska Cruise in 2009, so I figured you would be the perfect person to ask about a reasonable place to have dinner within walking distance to the Pan Pacific. We have 7 people who have cruised together at various times before, all going on the Celebrity Coastal Wine Cruise leaving on Sept 9. We are coming in on the 8th and all staying at the Pan Pacific. We also hope to be joined by a couple that we cruised with who live in Vancouver. Any place that you can suggest for a reasonably priced reunion get together?:):)

Hi my friend - you were very helpful on our first visit to Yancouver for our Alaska Cruise in 2009, so I figured you would be the perfect person to ask about a reasonable place to have dinner within walking distance to the Pan Pacific. We have 7 people who have cruised together at various times before, all going on the Celebrity Coastal Wine Cruise leaving on Sept 9. We are coming in on the 8th and all staying at the Pan Pacific. We also hope to be joined by a couple that we cruised with who live in Vancouver. Any place that you can suggest for a reasonably priced reunion get together?:):)

Very resonable would be the Olde Spaghetti Factory in Gastown link

You might want to look at the Water St. Cafe in Gastown link

More upscale would be Aqua Riva almost next door to the Pan P. link

A pub style restaurant closeby would be Steamworks: link

Joe Fortes, a bit of walk and a bit upscale link

Cardero's, a marine pub, one of my faves but a bit of a walk.. link

Very resonable would be the Olde Spaghetti Factory in Gastown link

You might want to look at the Water St. Cafe in Gastown link

More upscale would be Aqua Riva almost next door to the Pan P. link

A pub style restaurant closeby would be Steamworks: link

Joe Fortes, a bit of walk and a bit upscale link

Cardero's, a marine pub, one of my faves but a bit of a walk.. link

Thanks - Putterdude!

I highly recommend you visit http://dinehere.ca/ an excellent review site for Vancouver restaurants. There's a large variety (in price and quality) not far from the Pan Pacific, and within the Pan Pacific a very very highly rated (and expensive) restaurant.

Was there a specific type of food you were looking for?

I will agree that Steamworks is an excellent choice for a pub w/ great food (and microbrewery on site), and even closer is there new 'Rogue' in the Waterfront station complex (it's fairly new, Putter might not have returned to Vancouver since it opened).

Lift (just the other side of the Bayshore hotel) is a great choice (near Cardero's); with an amazing patio in the summer.

even closer is there new 'Rogue' in the Waterfront station complex (it's fairly new, Putter might not have returned to Vancouver since it opened).

Actually quite by acident I was there the day after it re-opened under the new handle but found it a bit noisy and more emphasis on the booze then the food...but here is a link, you may care for it. link

I 3rd Steamworks

Cadero's I find too noisy

I agree that Cardero's can be noisy but that tends to be related to time and day....and that applies to Steamworks as well...and almost any pub style enviroment...the Sunshine Coast excepted....there you have to wake people up to get them to order.;)

Please !!! I need some help in the Vancouver/Victoria area. DH and I are booked to sail from Vancouver on Sept 10 for our Alaska cruisetour. We are planning to arrive in Vancouver on Thurs afternoon on Sept.. 8 and plan to stay in the downtown area, altho this can be changed as we haven't booked our hotel yet. We will have the afternoon on Thurs.,all day Friday and Sat morning until we have to board our ship, free to explore. I have been reading about the HO HO buses and am leaning toward that way of seeing Vancouver. Are there better modes of transportion?

Also,it has been suggested that we might like to visit Victoria . Is there a fairly cheap way to get there? And do we have enough time to tour Vancouver and Victoria and be able to enjoy them without being too rushed?

thanks for all the help

With the time you have you will have a problem with going to Victoria...it is on Vancouver Island and is at least 4 hrs in either direction by car and ferry, you can do it by float plane but the fare is north of $150 pp each way. In Vancouver I tend to recommend one of the 2 HOHOs however some like the idea of public transit. Here are links to transit and the HOHOs.

http://www.vancouvertrolley.com/

http://www.bigbus.ca/

http://tripplanning.translink.bc.ca/

With the time you have you will have a problem with going to Victoria...it is on Vancouver Island and is at least 4 hrs in either direction by car and ferry, you can do it by float plane but the fare is north of $150 pp each way. In Vancouver I tend to recommend one of the 2 HOHOs however some like the idea of public transit. Here are links to transit and the HOHOs.

http://www.vancouvertrolley.com/

http://www.bigbus.ca/

http://tripplanning.translink.bc.ca/

thanks, I knew I could count on you and/or Yukon to steer me in the right direction! BTW haven't seen BQ on here lately-hope she is okay.

We will be disembarking in Vancouver and flying out of Seattle. Any transportation from Vancouver to Seattle?

Thanks

Hey what's with this. .. The Super Bowl is in the 4th quarter and it's close. Lol

Search or be patient. Lol

Thanks Shoppie for offering advise. This will be my first time in Vancouver. My husband and I are booked on the Norwegian Pearl May 8th which sails on Sunday 4pm leaving from Vancouver returning to Seattle. I liked the idea of being able to spend a little time in Vancouver. My original thought was to fly roundtrip Seattle, then take the train, Amtrak Cascade to Vancouver. My husband is concerned about train delays. Is this a problem? I haven't booked my flights yet. I know Cascade offers a morning or evening service. Which would be better? The evening train would put us arriving in Vancouver around 11pm. Would it be too dark to enjoy the scenery? If we go this route is there a hotel you could recommed that offers pick up service from the train station and drop off service to the pier? OR would it be better to take the morning train? I appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks

During the cruise season there are seldom any train delays and if there are they really are quite minimal, it is a popular form of transit for cruisers coming and going to Seattle. The evening train will not provide you much in the way of light for sightseeing. As for a hotel, there really are none in the vicinity of the train station and a cab to a downtown hotel will run you less than $10 and a similar amount from hotel to your pier. You could take SkyTrain in the downtown but at 11 pm in a strange city you may not find that appealing. To my knowledge no hotel picks up at the train station and very few offer the service to the pier...the exception being the Best Western-Downtown on Drak St. and the Hampton Inn on Robson St....but for a $10 cab fare I would be more focused on hotel then on shuttle. You will get your best deal for a hotel by bidding on Priceline.com. Go to the bidding screen, select Vancouver-Downtown and then 3*+, I would start bidding at about $95 and be prepared to go to about $135, with that you will get an excellent hotel in a great area...hotels like the Hyatt, Renaissance, Marriott, the Westins, Sutton Place and on occasion even the Pan Pacific.

The train is the train but this One runs pretty well on time all the time. There are the odd washouts in bad weather but the train is always backed up by buses at frequent times. I have travelled it recommend Business class for several reasons the best of which is boarding and dealing with Border Personnel in Canada

On that date sunset is around 8:40 PM so will give you light on the water to your left for a while after that but as PD says will be dark when you get to Vancouver.

• 2 weeks later...

We are taking Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver to go on our Spirit cruise in May. How much is a taxi from the Amtrak station to Canada place? Also we want to stop and get 2 bottles of wine and a 12 pak of cokes, is there any stores near the port or on the way to get these things? Thanks!!