Vancouver Info if needed

I thought you could use your credit card to pay for a Canada Line ticket as long as your are at a Canada Line or Skytrain station.

Yes, most stations offer this feature...I am not sure where in this thread it was suggested to the contrary? However, some US credit card companies and banks will will charge a foreign transaction fee almost equal to the cost of a fare.

I thought you could use your credit card to pay for a Canada Line ticket as long as your are at a Canada Line or Skytrain station.

All the ticket machines take credit cards. It's only on a bus you can't do that.

I'm sure this question has been answered somewhere in this long thread - I tried to search and didn't find my answer, so I apologize if it is here somewhere......

I currently have a room booked pre-cruise at Blue Horizon on Robson St. The main decision to stay there was so we could check out the shopping, etc on Robson St and then taxi to Canada Place morning of cruise. Now, I see that Pan Pacific has dropped prices, and am rethinking - it would sure be nice morning of cruise to just take the elevator downstairs!!

So, question is - if we decide to stay at Pan - is the walk doable/safe for 2 middle aged 'girls' to hit Robson St in the afternoon? We would be back at hotel before dark.

thank you!

So, question is - if we decide to stay at Pan - is the walk doable/safe for 2 middle aged 'girls' to hit Robson St in the afternoon? We would be back at hotel before dark.

thank you!

By all means it's doable. It will entail a walk of about 7 blocks to Robson St. .... just a bit uphill and then a gentle downhill walk back. Safe and fun.

All the ticket machines take credit cards. It's only on a bus you can't do that.

You may find this information directly from the Translink site interesting; not all the machines in stations accept credit or debit cards yet.

Paying on the SkyTrain

Before entering the Fare Paid Zone, pay for your ticket at the ticket vending machines. These machines accept coins (except pennies) and bills (up to $20). Debit and credit cards are accepted at most SkyTrain stations.

Hi there..I live in Vancouver and have worked at several of the hotels in the city..and have also worked on cruise ships before, so I've done more Alaska cruises than I care to admit..I'll gladly answer any questions about the city, cruising or what have you! :)

Is it possible to take public transportation from the Seaport to the Airport? Could you recommend the best way to do it? I'm not in a particular hurry since I have a lot of time between my disembarkation and flight home.

Is it possible to take public transportation from the Seaport to the Airport? Could you recommend the best way to do it? I'm not in a particular hurry since I have a lot of time between my disembarkation and flight home.

Yes, very much so. There is the Canada Line which runs from Waterfront Station which is the red brick building you will see on the left as you exit Canada Place; it's about a 3 block walk. You fare will be $3.75 (CDN) each and the actual travel time on the line will 25 mins, the ticket machines in addition to cash will take most credit cards and ATM cards. Two trains make up the Canada Line and the one you want is going to YVR/Airport Station.

http://tripplanning.translink.ca/hiwire?.a=iScheduleLookupSearch&LineAbbr=980

Yes it is possible and widely use - it is called the Canada Line and is part of our rapid transit system - the downtown terminal is about two blocks from the seaport and at the airport you arrive near the international terminal and then a short walk to the US terminal.

This system was designed for the airport traveler as there is plenty of room for your luggage - depending on your day and time of travel it will be either $2.50 or 3.75 per person and takes around 30 minutes. The trains run about every 3 minutes with every other train going to the airport so six minutes is the longest you should have to wait.

Hope this helps and there are a couple of other locals who use it much more than me who will provide you with more info if necessary.

Cheers

Dennis

Exit the cruise terminal, walk one block ahead to your left, past the escalators that tempt you by saying "SKYTRAIN" (but they lead to the wrong platform). Turn left on Cordova street, 2 blocks and into the big brick building on your left. Once your in, to your left is the escalator and elevators down to Skytrain's CANADA LINE, which takes you to the airport.

Ticket machines take C$, debit and credit cards, and the cost to the airport will be $2.50 or $3.75 (M-F til 6:30pm). Board a train marked "YVR Airport", not the ones marked "Richmond Brighouse"

HI can you clear this up for me my TA told us to get US dollars for our trip to Vancouver and Alaska I see in your post you need Canada dollars for on the Trollies thank you ,will they take US dollars?

Perhaps you should give your TA a gentle friendly reminder that while US $$$ are widely accepted in Vancouver and most of Canada they are not a legal currency and don't have to be accepted - if you are referring to the public transportation system you won't be able to use US $$$ - if you are referring to our HOHO buses - yes as a tourist operator they will accept US $$$$.

Enjoy your visit and Alaska cruise.

Cheers

Dennis

Hi, we're on a Princess cruise arriving in Vancouver at 7:30 am August 1. I need to book air, and I see that there are 2 good flights that leave about 11:20- 11:30. My question is whether there will be sufficient time to disembark and get to the airport by about 9:45 or 10:00 latest. I've been on cruises before, but many years ago, so don't remember how long disembarkation is likely to take. Also don't know how far the airport is from the port. Thanks for any advice!

Hi, we're on a Princess cruise arriving in Vancouver at 7:30 am August 1. I need to book air, and I see that there are 2 good flights that leave about 11:20- 11:30. My question is whether there will be sufficient time to disembark and get to the airport by about 9:45 or 10:00 latest. I've been on cruises before, but many years ago, so don't remember how long disembarkation is likely to take. Also don't know how far the airport is from the port. Thanks for any advice!

Your cutting it very close . If you going to the US you probably won't make it . Aug 1 is holiday week end in Canada . 12 - 1PM is probably better .

If you have only carry off bags you might make it. With checked bags no way.:mad:

If you can handle all your own luggage and can self-disembark you can make an 1130 flight; with that you should clear Canadian customs and be on the curb at Canada Place by 0830 latest. The real key is the fact that you need to be at YVR a full 2 hours before flight time to clear US customs and of course security then to that you need to add a full 35 mins to get to YVR from Canada Place. So if you can't self disembark you will find it a lot less stressful to find a flight in the early afternoon.

Thinking of heading to Stanley Park prior to boarding our ship. Want to be at the park by 9am, and we are staying at the Pan Pacific. Any breakfast suggestions, quick and not too pricey (Less than $12 CDN per person would be good) and not a fast food restaurant (McDonalds and the like) that would be on our route to the park?

Thank you in advance! This board has been so helpful! :)

thank you!

Most definitely!

Thinking of heading to Stanley Park prior to boarding our ship. Want to be at the park by 9am, and we are staying at the Pan Pacific. Any breakfast suggestions, quick and not too pricey (Less than $12 CDN per person would be good) and not a fast food restaurant (McDonalds and the like) that would be on our route to the park?

Thank you in advance! This board has been so helpful! :)

Moose's Down Under. Located 830 W.Pender, near Hornby. It's basement level, so there's a set of steps down from street level, but a great place for breakfast. http://www.moosesdownunder.com/

You may find this information directly from the Translink site interesting; not all the machines in stations accept credit or debit cards yet.

Paying on the SkyTrain

Before entering the Fare Paid Zone, pay for your ticket at the ticket vending machines. These machines accept coins (except pennies) and bills (up to $20). Debit and credit cards are accepted at most SkyTrain stations.

I can't say I've ever seen [in my daily commute on Skytrain], a ticket machine that doesn't take credit or debit cards. I'm 100% sure that the stations a tourist would be interested in (Waterfront, YVR, Stadium, City Hall, Metrotown) all accept debit/credit cards and our visitors to our city should not be concerned about running across one that doesn't.

However, there's your challenge, next time you visit Vancouver, find the mysterious machine that doesn't take plastic.

There cruise is on a Saturday so I assume that is the day that they want breakfast so I checked the moosesdownunder web site so kindly provided by one of the locals and here is what it has to say about operating hours:

"Moose's is now open Saturdays from 5pm. Come on down and catch an AFL Game and NRL game.

We also open for Breakfast at 7am Monday to Friday.

So it doesn't appear that they could get breakfast even they wanted to walk about a dozen blocks.

Cheers

Dennis

There cruise is on a Saturday so I assume that is the day that they want breakfast so I checked the moosesdownunder web site so kindly provided by one of the locals and here is what it has to say about operating hours:

So it doesn't appear that they could get breakfast even they wanted to walk about a dozen blocks.

There you have it, not appropriate for a Saturday. Good thing I posted a link to the website.

However... "a dozen blocks"? Canada Place to Hornby & W.Pender is 3 blocks, or did they move Canada Place when I wasn't paying attention :D

Paying on the SkyTrain

I can't say I've ever seen [in my daily commute on Skytrain], a ticket machine that doesn't take credit or debit cards. I'm 100% sure that the stations a tourist would be interested in (Waterfront, YVR, Stadium, City Hall, Metrotown) all accept debit/credit cards and our visitors to our city should not be concerned about running across one that doesn't.

However, there's your challenge, next time you visit Vancouver, find the mysterious machine that doesn't take plastic.

The point is that in a attempt to correct a post of mine you did so with what was obviously erroneous information. Who are you to say where tourists get on and off SkyTrain and the Canada Line?

Frankly, I don't need anymore challenges.