Vancouver Info if needed

re - public transportation - are you referring to Seattle or Vancouver - I know that Seattle's Metro transit system has had some cutbacks whcih might be what your friends are referring to - no such thing here in Vancouver - we just keep raising taxes - especially gas - to keep the system at present levels.

Cheers

Dennis

No, they specifically said the transp from Seattle to Vancouver.

In the past, I had always heard how terrific it was, nice and easy

Anyway. assuming I will take public transp. to Vancouver and leave the car in Seattle, which one do you think is better?

No, they specifically said the transp from Seattle to Vancouver.

In the past, I had always heard how terrific it was, nice and easy

Anyway. assuming I will take public transp. to Vancouver and leave the car in Seattle, which one do you think is better?

Crossing the border (especially southbound) takes a lot longer that it did in the past. As for getting around, I think a car in Vancouver (if you're staying/visiting in the downtown core) is much more of a hinderance. Parking at hotels is expensive ($20/day), parking on the street is $5/hr and hard to find.

Many believe, as do I, the best way to come is via the Amtrak Cascades its only drawback being there are only two trains a day in either direction and their schedule doesn't work for everyone. Amtrak also operate a number of buses as does a company called Quick Shuttle who 11 scheduled trips each way during the cruise season. From a time perspective, when you factor in transfer time from Amtrak, they are all about the same. It is just that the train is quite scenic, about a 1/3 of it is along the water, it has a bistro for snacks or meals as well as comfortable restrooms.

http://www.amtrakcascades.com/

http://www.quickcoach.com/index.htm

More questions:

Do we need to pre-purchase our tickets, or do they get sold out?

Are there car rental returns near the bus or train? If so, when I call to make my reservations, I will inquire which ones are nearby.

One day before i go, I will sit down and read this entire thread. I know there's lots of good info here

Linda

More questions:

Do we need to pre-purchase our tickets, or do they get sold out?

Are there car rental returns near the bus or train? If so, when I call to make my reservations, I will inquire which ones are nearby.

One day before i go, I will sit down and read this entire thread. I know there's lots of good info here

Linda

You do need to make reservations.

Hertz have a kiosk in the Amtrak station but I am certain that the other companies will pick you up as all the big rental companies have locations downtown.

If arriving the day of your cruise you can take the SkyTrain which across the street from the train station to Waterfront station for $2.50 pp and the station is only 3 blocks from the Canada Place cruise terminal. There will be a cab line at the train station and a fare to Canada Place will run you $10/$12.

You do need to make reservations.

Hertz have a kiosk in the Amtrak station but I am certain that the other companies will pick you up as all the big rental companies have locations downtown.

If arriving the day of your cruise you can take the SkyTrain which across the street from the train station to Waterfront station for $2.50 pp and the station is only 3 blocks from the Canada Place cruise terminal. There will be a cab line at the train station and a fare to Canada Place will run you $10/$12.

No, meeting friends at a hotel 2 days precruise

I'm sure this questions has been asked and answered, as this thread is loaded with info, but I didn't see it while skimming the 100's of posts. Do the cabs in Vancouver except charge cards and or US bills?

Thanks

All of Vancouver's taxi's will accept credit cards. They will also accept US currency however as you will receive your change in CDN, I would advise keeping you bills small. As a guide your fare from airport to Canada Place will run about $35 this should give you some idea as to the size of bills you will what to have for your fare.

Just by way of a side bar, many US banks and credit card providers charge a "foreign transaction fee" on charges outside of the US, my experience is B of A is one of the worst. Capital One advertises no such fees but hides the fee in a higher exchange rate...and the others are somewhere in between.

I'm sure this questions has been asked and answered, as this thread is loaded with info, but I didn't see it while skimming the 100's of posts. Do the cabs in Vancouver except charge cards and or US bills?

Thanks

Yes, Vancouver taxis will take Credit Cards, Debit Cards (most), and US$ in addition to C$. If you pay in US$ expect to get C$.90-.95 for a US$, and also expect your change in C$. So if you pay for a $10 taxi ride with a $20, expect to get C$8-$9 in change (before tip). And don't be surprised that the C$1 and $2 are coins.

And don't be surprised that the C$1 and $2 are coins.

Yes, I noticed that on a trip to Nova Scotia. I found a $2 canadian bill from long ago in my foreign money pouch. I plan to spend that this trip just to get rid of it. (I used to save my left over foreign money as a keepsake. Then it just turned into clutter):eek:

Yes, I noticed that on a trip to Nova Scotia. I found a $2 canadian bill from long ago in my foreign money pouch. I plan to spend that this trip just to get rid of it. (I used to save my left over foreign money as a keepsake. Then it just turned into clutter):eek:

While they are still legal tender, I think you will find some clerks in stores who wont know what they are looking at as the move away from the $2 note began in 1996. We have some $1 and $2 notes squirreled away which I guess someday we will give the DGC.

it wouldn't surprise me if merchants refuse to take it, as younger people may not have ever seen one, despite the fact it's still legal tender. In order to exchange it, you're likely going to need to take it to a bank.

I still have tucked away somewhere in the archives a old 25 cent note - called the shin plaster.

Cheers

Dennis

DW has a shin plaster folded. sealed and on her charm bracelet, evidently it is the same note that was put in hand as an infant....some Scottish tradition. But I also think that she few squirreled away as well.

My cousin and I are taking our 80 year old grandparents on an Alaska cruise in a couple of weeks. We are scheduled to arrive in Vacouver the day before the cruise at 3:45 (downtown Comfort Inn). Our ship will leave at 5:00 the next day. My grandparents are unable to walk long distances. Is a HOHO the best way to see Vancouver in the very short amount of time we have? I know they don't run very late, so am trying to decide whether it is worth the $$. Any other suggestions? Any "must-sees"? Good places to eat?

Thank you in advance for any advice. This is our first time to Vancouver, and first cruise, so we are looking forward to it!

Given the time you arrive and by the time you get downtown and settled in your hotel a HOHO would be of no value you to you at all as the stop running just after 5 pm so of little use the day of arrival. Land Sea tours do operate a tour that is designed for cruisers where they pick you an your luggage up at the hotel, conduct the tour and deliver you at Canada Place in time for your cruise. The HOHOs may make some sense in the morning but what is concerning me are grandparents mobility issues...however if you started early and stayed on the trolley or bus except for a stop or two, well it might work. The HOHOs don't take luggage so you would have to come back to the hotel and pick it up or take it down to Canada Place where the porters start accepting luggage just after 9:30 and then get on the HOHO.

There are any number of restaurants around the hotel Ut is more familiar with them then me and I am sure that he will be along shortly.

By the way, you are pretty wonderful grandchildren to be taking your grandparents on a trip like this.:)

http://www.vancouvertours.com/pre-cruise-vancouver-city-tour

"you are pretty wonderful grandchildren to be taking your grandparents on a trip like this.

Well PD if you behave yourself perhaps in a few years your grandchildren might see fit and take you along for a cruise.

As for restaurants - the Comfort Inn is located in the heart of the entertainment district so most of eateries are either the fast food time or pub style - but just a couple of doors from the hotel is a restaurant called the Sanafir - don't know a lot about it - will see if I can find a link.

In your hotel which PD knows well - there is an Irish themed pub called Doolan's - haven't eaten there in a long time but most of pubs serving food in the district are of a reasonable quality and price - down the street in the Best Western Granville is a restaurant lounge called the Edge - know little about it but it seems to be fairly busy with customers which usually means it is doing something right and is a little less noisy on sport event nights - if your grandparents can walk three level blocks then the are likely to enjoy the White Spot - http://www.whitespot.ca in the Best Western downtown on Drake and for a little taste of Greek Food - try the Adonis on Granville before you get to the White spot.

You aren't all that far to Yaletown but the walk is downhill so a short five minute cab ride will get you there.

Hope this helps and will get you started.

Hope you enjoy our city - both Putterdude and myself are native born Vancouverites so we know the city pretty well.

Cheers

Dennis

Hello, I have enjoyed reading the boards for a couple of months now and hope you can help me with a few questions. I will be in Vancouver with my dad on the 31st prior to our cruise (leaving the 2nd). We will arrive at the Westin Bayshore early afternoon. I feel pretty good about our plan for sightseeing and have found several appealing restaurant options in Gastown and Yaletown. However, I did not feel as sucessful when it came to finding restaurants near our hotel.

Does anyone have suggestions for restaurants near the Westin Bayshore? We are not huge seafood fans (but it is not completely out of the question). My dad is also not super fond of Asian (even though I love it all). We both like pub and gastro pub type food as well as Greek and Italian. The restaurant must have beer or wine!

I have purused the link to the BC liquor stores, so I am certain I will find wine to bring on the ship. However, I tried looking at the various restaurant menus to see if there was a good place to sample several glasses of BC wine. While most had a couple of options, do you have any suggestions for a place that might have a more extensive list where I would be able to sample more than one or two? I am sure I will enjoy whatever I find to bring on board, but I do like trying different wines.

I love grocery stores (I once spent over 3 hours in one when I was in Germany). I know some will say the stores in Canada are probably not that different than the ones here, but since I know ther are variances even between the midwest and other parts of the US, I do want to take a look around. I believe I found a Whole Foods and Safeway near our hotel, but are there any other independent stores or chains that I might not be familiar with?

What would the approximate cab fare be from Gastown to our hotel? It appears to be about 1.5 km and while I am willing to walk, I am not certain my dad will be up to it after a day of exploring. Also, would the restaurant call a cab for us or will we be able to find one on the street? We will not have cell service while in Vancouver.

I appreciate your input and can hardly wait for the six days I have left here!!

For general North American style food you can't go wrong with the White Spot http://www.whitespot.ca - it is basically across the street - yes I know there is a large parking lot to walk past first - a block along the seawall adjacent to the hotel is Cardero's - has a varied menu and definitely fish dishes - has somewhat of a pub atmosphere as there is a large sport lounge attached to it.

Urban Fare would be a slightly different grocery experience as it is marketed to a more upscale, affluent cliental and if you can afford some of those condos you see near the hotel you can afford to shop there.

Denman street which is close by has an array of family and ethnic eateries with Olympic Pizza being a lot more than just pizza being one that comes to mind.

Hope this helps and some of the other regulars will likely be around with there.

Cheers

Dennis