Vancouver Info if needed

All three are part of our vibrant downtown core - all three are well served by public transportation.

Downtown West will have the better selection of hotels - Yaletown is more noted for its restaurants than its hotels and the Entertainment district is about a six block area of Granville Street that is home to many bars and restaurants and is very lively on weekends or after big sporting events - the hotels in the Entertainment District tend to be older properties that the big chains brought a number of years ago and have fixed help.

You should be able to get a good property in downtown West for the price that you show.

Hope this helps

Enjoy your visit

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis for your information. I have been reading lots of positive reviews on Trip Advisor about a hotel called Blue Horizon on Robson St. It said not fancy but newer, very clean, great views from higher rooms and located in the heart of Robson street and the HOHO stop out front. The price for the Blue Horizon has me concerned about the property; it looks too good to be true at $151 a night!

Am I assuming Robson St. is the place to be? I see a lot of reference to Robson and shopping. :D

I am also looking at Sheraton Wall and Sutton. Are these all in the same area as the Blue Horizon. I see a 4* listed on Hotwire for $154. So I am thinking maybe it could be Sutton or Sheraton. In this case, would you recommend taking chance on Hotwore rather than going for the Blue Horizon.

Hello all; I am confused about the meaning of "downtown location". When trying to search for a hotel room I see Downtown, Downtown West, Downtown Yaletown, and Entertainment District. I want to be sure I choose the correct downtown! :eek:

We will be staying two nights post cruise in early June; along with another couple. We want to stay at a hotel where we can just walk out the door (a block or so) and have public transportation, restaurants/pubs. Probably $250 max on price. Of course we will continue checking Priceline and Hotwire as soon as we know the "right" downtown to choose when putting in a bid or booking.

Thank you bunches!!!

I would be inclined to recommend staying out of the Entertainment District, it can be a bit rowdy at night and personally would focus on the Vancouver Downtown-West when bidding on Priceline. At the present time Hotwire is showing a 4* hotel in Downtown - West for a mid-July date at $156 which I suspect is the Sheraton at Wall Centre which is a good hotel but maybe a block or two out of the mix. The Hyatt Regency, which in my mind is about as close to centre ice as you can be in Vancouver is showing July rate of $228 on a pre-paid, non-refundable basis.

Thanks Dennis for your information. I have been reading lots of positive reviews on Trip Advisor about a hotel called Blue Horizon on Robson St. It said not fancy but newer, very clean, great views from higher rooms and located in the heart of Robson street and the HOHO stop out front. The price for the Blue Horizon has me concerned about the property; it looks too good to be true at $151 a night!

Am I assuming Robson St. is the place to be? I see a lot of reference to Robson and shopping. :D

I am also looking at Sheraton Wall and Sutton. Are these all in the same area as the Blue Horizon. I see a 4* listed on Hotwire for $154. So I am thinking maybe it could be Sutton or Sheraton. In this case, would you recommend taking chance on Hotwore rather than going for the Blue Horizon.

I would have absolutely no problem with recommending the Blue Horizon. Robson St. is a trendy urban shopping street with lots of restaurants and a great area to stay in. On Hotwire the Sheraton tends to show up as the 4* and Sutton Place as a 5* ... so I think you are looking at the Sheraton. The Sutton Place is just around the corner from Robson St. on Burrard St. while the Sheraton about two blocks further south on Burrard St.

Thanks Putterdude for the information. So there is close access to public transit from all 4 of these hotels? Shopping and places to eat and drink?

Being familiar with the area, in your HO, which would you recommend for 2 couples in early 50's that love to dine and drink at local dives just as much as fine restaurants. Likes live music (easy listening, blues, oldies). Prefer an area where can just take a stroll and stop at places that look interesting. And, where we can still jump on public transit nearby and go see the sights during the day.

All four are on transit here is a link to our transit system. The club scene...well I am a little out of touch on that. Moderately priced restauarants....here is a short list that I am sure that others will add to.

http://tripplanning.translink.ca/

http://www.steamworks.com/

http://www.vancouverdine.com/carderos/home.html

http://www.boathouserestaurants.ca/vancouver-restaurant-locations.php

http://www.fishhousestanleypark.com/

www.joefortes.ca/

http://www.kegsteakhouse.com/en/

We just booked our Alaskan cruise with Disney Cruise Line for July, 2013. Because we will be flying in from NJ, we are planning on flying in the day before the cruise. We will be traveling with our daughter who is in a wheelchair and has a service dog. Will we be able to get a taxi with a wheelchair ramp or lift to take us from the airport to the hotel? We are looking at the Pan Pacific Hotel. Is that at the cruise terminal where the Disney Wonder will dock? Can someone tell me anything about the hotel? I know our cruise is a long way off but I'm a planner.

Yes, the Pan Pacific forms part of Canada Place where the cruise terminal is and the Wonder will dock. It is a lovely hotel, obviously on the water and would be considered one of the city's top 6 or 7 hotels. As the hotel extends out over the water it is possible that you may see your ship tie up but as the port sked for 2013 is not available there is no way of knowing right now which side of the terminal the Wonder will tie up on. The hotel has several restaurants including the 5 Sails restaurant. It also connects with a food court where you will find any number of other restaurants and fast food establishments.

The terminal is right downtown and the city is very accessible if you want to get out a see a few sights...some close by sights would include historic Gastown, the Vancouver Lookout and the cauldron from the 2010 Winter Olympics.

Just under 20% of the city's cab feet is mini-vans and many of they are ramp equipped so getting a cab will not be a problem, you just may have to wait a few extra minutes. Your fare should run about $35.

No, however even with the added NCL and Princess ships I would be inclined to think that there is still sufficient capacity to handle the Wonder at Canada Place as long as it is not a weekend. Last season we used to watch for Mickey Mouse on Tuesday evenings. I think the port will do everything possible to keep Ballantyne as an overflow for those few hectic days at the beginning and end of the season.

No, however even with the added NCL and Princess ships I would be inclined to think that there is still sufficient capacity to handle the Wonder at Canada Place as long as it is not a weekend. Last season we used to watch for Mickey Mouse on Tuesday evenings. I think the port will do everything possible to keep Ballantyne as an overflow for those few hectic days at the beginning and end of the season.

The Wonder will be departing & arriving on Mondays.

Thanks for that information...Mondays tend to be one of the slowest days of the week. Last season except for the occasional pocket cruiser there were no cruise ships in port on Mondays.

7-Night Alaskan Cruise

2013 Sail Dates: 5/27, 6/3, 6/10, 6/17, 6/24, 7/1, 7/8, 7/15, 7/22, 7/29, 8/5, 8/12, 8/19, 8/26, 9/2

Monday Vancouver, Canada

Tuesday At Sea

Wednesday Tracy Arm, Alaska

Thursday Skagway, Alaska

Friday Juneau, Alaska

Saturday Ketchikan, Alaska

Sunday At Sea

Monday Vancouver, Canada

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies, martincath and scottbee! I've got some followups.

Yes, a 90 minute ticket is just that, 90 minutes; good in any direction. From Canada Place, walk 1/2 block ahead and you'll see escalators down to Expo/Millenium Line Skytrain. Ticket machines are at the bottom of the 1st escalator.

Silly question but how do they keep track? Is there a turnstile you go through before reaching the boarding platform that triggers it? Is it just a time stamp and honor system?

It's possible to go by Skytrain/bus as well. Check http://translink.ca/ for more details. A taxi from the night market it probably $35 ea way (similar to the airport), but you could take canada line skytrain to bridgeport and taxi or bus from there to greatly reduce the cost.

Thanks. I've looked at the public transportation options briefly, but nothing is ideal. I'll have to figure out something that works for us if we go.

Miniature train I was thoroughly unimpressed by when I had a go - it's not much to look at and the route just winds around through trees no different than in the rest of the park. Even having additional entertainment during the ride (we went during Klahowya Village time so there are people dressed up while the commentary tells a traditional story) it was dubious value - just to *look* at the train isn't worth the detour IMO unless someone in your party is a train fanatic!

Thanks for your thoughts on the train. It did look like a longer detour on the map than the rose garden and I was leaning toward a no since neither of us are that into trains, so this confirms it.

Poutine - no offence to Costco, I shop there frequently, but I would never assume that their poutine (or any other food from their cafe) is indicative of an entire food concept! Just go to either of the restos you mentioned, or even Frenchies at 425 Dunsmuir St, and buy the smallest size basic poutine they offer - I think you can get something for c.$5 in any of the three. I've yet to meet anyone who likes the component parts of poutine that has not enjoyed the combo...

If you then want to do an actual Poutine dinner, walking back and hitting a super market en route, then I'd say go to La Belle Patate rather than Fritz. They're very comparable in quality, but LBP is right next to Super Valu supermarket on Davie and a straight shot up Bute to your hotel (without the uphill part of Davie from Fritz to Thurlow too!).

Well, we're always curious what regional items are served in chain places. We might peek into a McDonald's if we pass by one, too. :)

But you're right, it's hard to imagine we wouldn't not like poutine, since we have no objections to any of the ingredients in a standard one. We will probably go La Belle Patate since I found a coupon for buy one get one free.

Non-US snacks & candy - I can't think of anything you won't be able to find in the US somewhere!

I know there's a number of candies that can't be found in the US. The names escape me right now but I know some Canadian cruisers bring them for gift exchanges. As a specific example, Lay's Ketchup chips aren't available for sale in the US.

A daypass is almost certainly going to be better value - and a 2 Zone pass also gets you to Richmond for the night market (you could take a cab to & from Bridgeport Skytrain station to avoid bus transfers - this is probably faster than cabbing all the way too unless there's no traffic).

We have considered a daypass. With our current plans, it doesn't make sense for us to get it because even if we stay longer at Metrotown then planned, it's still only $10 for the two of us. The $8 we save will pay for that poutine. :)

A few more questions now.

- We're considering going to Lynn Canyon Park to check out the suspension bridge. I have to ask if it's worth going to since it's an hour commute each way. I've been on the Capilano one, but my fiancee hasn't. I'm thinking about going for his sake. He doesn't want to pay $30 to go, so this is the next best option.

This is super tentative since I want to be back on the ship by 5:00 PM at the latest and everything I asked about previously has a higher priority on our list. I figure this activity is going to be at least 3 hours.

- One of our flight options is a 3:20 flight out of YVR. I've read a lot of about allowing extra time for customs. Is there a time frame? Usually I aim to get to the airport 2 hours early. Should I allow 3 hours? We would be taking the Canada Line Skytrain, what time should we actually get on the train from Canada Place?

Edited by tomoyo

Silly question but how do they keep track? Is there a turnstile you go through before reaching the boarding platform that triggers it? Is it just a time stamp and honor system?

Tickets are time-stamped, and there are occasional fare inspections on the trains. They're switching over to a turnstile system, and there's some minor construction going on at some of the stations right now.

We have considered a daypass. With our current plans, it doesn't make sense for us to get it because even if we stay longer at Metrotown then planned, it's still only $10 for the two of us. The $8 we save will pay for that poutine. :)

Books of 10 two-zone tickets are $31.50; just remmeber to stamp your ticket in the blue validator prior to boarding Skytrain/Seabus (or on the bus there's a validator when you board)

- We're considering going to Lynn Canyon Park to check out the suspension bridge. I have to ask if it's worth going to since it's an hour commute each way. I've been on the Capilano one, but my fiancee hasn't. I'm thinking about going for his sake. He doesn't want to pay $30 to go, so this is the next best option.

I actually like it more, it's darker and more 'rainforesty' (for lack of a better description). Easily accessible from downtown via Seabus/bus (see above about transit tickets)

One of our flight options is a 3:20 flight out of YVR. I've read a lot of about allowing extra time for customs. Is there a time frame? Usually I aim to get to the airport 2 hours early. Should I allow 3 hours? We would be taking the Canada Line Skytrain, what time should we actually get on the train from Canada Place?

If you aim to be there 2hrs early, just add another 20-30 minutes. I've breezed through US I&C in 2 minutes, and I've stood in line for an hour; never seem to be able to plan it. Waterfront Station (2 blocks east of Canada Place) to YVR takes about 25 minutes, trains every 2-3 minutes (and only every OTHER train goes to YVR). Make sure you get on a train marked "YVR Airport" and not "Richmond Brighouse" (line splits just before airport)

Add all of that up, and I'd want to be getting on the train 3 hrs prior to my flight. Now I know YVR and the system and everything pretty well, and tend to avoid the busiest times, but 3 hours would be pretty safe.

BONUS: You can check in for your flight at Waterfront station priot to getting on the train, there are machines there for airport check-in :-)

Nothing to add to Scottbee's replies above, but on the daypass/pay-as-you-go value issue - given how much puttering around it sounds like you want to do, the ability to jump on and off any transit you like will shave valuable *time* off your short, walkable trips around town. For example, the 19 bus goes right into Stanley Park - unless you want to do the whole circuit of the Seawall including the English Bay/False Creek side and the Coal Harbour side you're going to be repeating your route to and from the park, so why not jump on the bus and spend the extra time elsewhere? Likewise there are several Skytrain stations dotted around the downtown area - that Costco trip from your hotel becomes quicker if you hop on at Burrard and get off at Stadium...

It's your time and your money - but I personally cannot imagine ever regretting the $ difference on a daypass for the flexibility offered. That's the last you'll hear from me on the issue, honest! :)

Hi there..I live in Vancouver and have worked at several of the hotels in the city..and have also worked on cruise ships before, so I've done more Alaska cruises than I care to admit..I'll gladly answer any questions about the city, cruising or what have you! :)

I see that I have to use pay parking in order to drop my partner and our luggage at the terminal before returning the rental car. Any idea how much it will cost?

Also, I see that some hotels in the city (Landis, for example) offer free shuttle service, as do some airport hotels with cruise packages. Do the hotel shuttles have to pay to enter the terminal & drop off passengers? Or do they drop their pax off OUTSIDE?

I have never had to pay to enter Canada Place to be droped off, you just drive down the ramp, dorp people and luggage off then go. No the hotel shuttles do pay to enter Canada Place to drop of passengers (please don't give them any ideas:)). As for getting back from car rental location, some will shuttle you back, some are and easy walk back and as long as the location is downtown a cab fare would not exceed $10.

We are flying into Seattle then driving rental car to Vancouver on 5/21. Embark 5/23 Canada Place. We want to stay downtown within a mile of the terminal so we can hopefully walk there. Hoping to book at one of the Marriotts as we have points to use but they are currently full. Looking at the Quality Inn (Inn on False Creek?). But open to other options that will not cost a fortune for two nights and near the pier.

We want to turn in the car after arrival and use public transportation to get around. Is the "trolley" and the "Big Red Bus" the same thing? It seems they are both hop on/hop off. Plan to spend Tuesday seeing the sights and go to the suspension bridge park. Seems there is a shuttle in season.

Any info and advice greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Looking forward to seeing this beautiful city.

The Quality Inn on False Creek is some 13/14 blocks from Canada Place which may be a bit of a hike with luggage. Hotwire often shows a 4* downtown for about $135/$150 which I suspect is the Sheraton at Wall Centre. You could also try bidding on Priceline, you want to stick to the Downtown-West where you should pick up a 3*+/4* for <$150. The Blue Horizon on Robson St. is very popular with cruisers, the Hampton Inn on Robson has a free breakfast and shuttle to the Canada Place.

The Vancouver Trolley and the Red Bus are to separate entities but do essentially the same thing. The good thing about them is that they are a tour, include Granville Island, the Maritime Museum and a tour around Stanley Park. I tend to recommend the Trolley as the narration is live where as the Red Bus' is canned. Yes there is a free shuttle to the Capilano Suspension Bridge during the season and it is operated by the Vancouver Trolley people.

I have never had to pay to enter Canada Place to be droped off, you just drive down the ramp, dorp people and luggage off then go. No the hotel shuttles do pay to enter Canada Place to drop of passengers (please don't give them any ideas:)). As for getting back from car rental location, some will shuttle you back, some are and easy walk back and as long as the location is downtown a cab fare would not exceed $10.

Thanks for the info. If I drop my wife and the luggage, does the luggage go directly from the drop-off point to the ship, or will she have to hire a porter to get the luggage transferred to the ship?

Also, will she be able to wait for me somewhere in that drop-off area or nearby while I return the car, or will she have to go somewhere else in the complex to wait for me?

You will be directed to back into a parking spot within 15 ft of a cage where luggage goes for loading on the ship. A porter will take the luggage from you, put it in the cage and then it goes directly to the ship and your cabin ... there are signs say tipping is not necessary....but....

Yes, she will be able to wait for you just inside the terminal doors, there is not always chair available though. There is a little "C" type store just inside the terminal that sells coffee and that might be a good place for you to meet.

Nothing to add to Scottbee's replies above, but on the daypass/pay-as-you-go value issue - given how much puttering around it sounds like you want to do, the ability to jump on and off any transit you like will shave valuable *time* off your short, walkable trips around town. For example, the 19 bus goes right into Stanley Park - unless you want to do the whole circuit of the Seawall including the English Bay/False Creek side and the Coal Harbour side you're going to be repeating your route to and from the park, so why not jump on the bus and spend the extra time elsewhere? Likewise there are several Skytrain stations dotted around the downtown area - that Costco trip from your hotel becomes quicker if you hop on at Burrard and get off at Stadium...

It's your time and your money - but I personally cannot imagine ever regretting the $ difference on a daypass for the flexibility offered. That's the last you'll hear from me on the issue, honest! :)

The advantage for two visitors using a faresavers [10 pack] books is that a lot of people arrive day one, and do nothing more than airport->downtown (that's 2 tickets), spend day 2 going around town (let's image they use 3 tickets ea), and then 2 more getting back to the airport. That's 10 rides, for $31.50, whereas 3 days of day passes would be $54, and even going purchase/daypass/purchase will cost you $21.50/ea.

The advantage for two visitors using a faresavers [10 pack] books is that a lot of people arrive day one, and do nothing more than airport->downtown (that's 2 tickets), spend day 2 going around town (let's image they use 3 tickets ea), and then 2 more getting back to the airport. That's 10 rides, for $31.50, whereas 3 days of day passes would be $54, and even going purchase/daypass/purchase will cost you $21.50/ea.

Totally agree - if 10 transit trips total over more than 2 days works for your visit then a Faresaver pack is ideal. What if you need 8 or 12 trips though? Or don't know how many trips you'll need because your day is not completely planned? Of course there are situations where a Daypass is not the *cheapest* option - again I have to say that any day I'm playing tourist using transit I have never regretted the *flexibility* of a Daypass.

For those more-planned trips where Faresaver packs work I'd only ever buy 1 zone packs ($21) for tourist sights though, it's virtually guaranteed to be cheaper upgrading for $1.25 per zone as needed - certainly for weekend trips where a 1 zone ticket gets you anywhere. Upgrading a 1 zone Faresaver at the airport even avoids the $5 inbound YVR Addfare - it's specifically stated on the FAQ document.

Unless at least 9 of your 10 trips are through 2 zones it's always cheaper to use 1 zone than 2 zone Faresaver packs ($10.50 price diff > 8 $1.25 Addfares). Given how many hotels & tourist sights are inside the Yellow Zone it's really just weekday Commuters who get value from 2/3 zone Faresavers...