Vancouver Info if needed

Arriving on train from Seattle at 11:40a on embarkation day. Business class is sold out on train. Have read that is the best way to arrive as they are first off the train.

Will we be o.k. time wise to get a cab and get to pier in a timely manner?

Arriving on train from Seattle at 11:40a on embarkation day. Business class is sold out on train. Have read that is the best way to arrive as they are first off the train.

Will we be o.k. time wise to get a cab and get to pier in a timely manner?

You will have no problem what so ever. The difference between Biz and Coach is about 10 minutes or so and you are not more the 10 mins by taxi to Canada Place....there will be a cab line at the station. If you wish you can walk across the street to the Main St. station of SkyTrain and take the ELS to Waterfront Station from where you will have a short 2 block walk to Canada Place.

Will be coming in Friday morning early of course - thought we would see if there is anywhere in canada place that we can stow our luggage for a few hours and I would just show DH downtown robson etc - we think we will be probably too tired after 13 days of sightseeing alaska to sightsee so just walk around maybe gastown and china town as well (that is if we can stow our luggage somewhere - then we want to at least spend friday night at riverrock, walk over to richmond night market to sample some different food and people watch. Unsure yet if will stay Sat or fly home Sat and just relax at home. From what I have read the night market seems like it would be something totally different and we think fun

fluffy terry: I'd go for the riverrock and the night market that is closest to it (a very short walk). what nights of the week will you be in town?
Edited by Fluffy Terry

Will be coming in Friday morning early of course - thought we would see if there is anywhere in canada place that we can stow our luggage for a few hours and I would just show DH downtown robson etc - we think we will be probably too tired after 13 days of sightseeing alaska to sightsee so just walk around maybe gastown and china town as well (that is if we can stow our luggage somewhere - then we want to at least spend friday night at riverrock, walk over to richmond night market to sample some different food and people watch. Unsure yet if will stay Sat or fly home Sat and just relax at home. From what I have read the night market seems like it would be something totally different and we think fun

There is a commercial luggage check at Canada Place called Priority Baggage Service or you could take it to the Pan Pacific or Fairmont Waterfront and give the bell desk a nice tip to hold it for you.

http://www.prioritybaggage.ca/

We are flying in from Oregon, to board our ship same day and since we will take a taxi or shuttle from the airport, I would still like to buy some water and pepsi prior to boarding. Is there somewhere we can do that?

Thanks for the help!

If taking a cab you could stop at the Safeway at 70th and Granville. Once downtown, I would check my luggage with the porters at the pier and then walk over to the Urban Fare on Bute at Cordova Sts, about 4.5 blocks. Other options would include Shoppers Drugs in the 600 Blk of Granville, about a 6 block walk or London Drugs at the corner of Granville and W. Georgia, about 7 blocks. The best pricing will likely be had at London Drugs but if you are just purchasing a small amount I would go to the Urban Fare.

We are a group of 6 arriving into vancouver 1 day prior to our cruise. We have an opportunity to stay at either the Blue Horizon or Sunset Inn & Suites. Can anyone tell me which they would prefer? Pricing is about the same for either hotel.

Thanks!

We are flying in from Oregon, to board our ship same day and since we will take a taxi or shuttle from the airport, I would still like to buy some water and pepsi prior to boarding. Is there somewhere we can do that?

Thanks for the help!

There's a 7-11 inside the airport if you're looking to do it without having to really stop somewhere.

Alternately, If you take the Skytrain (subway) from the airport to downtown, exit at Waterfront (using the elevator on the platform marked "exit to Granville street") and there's a Pharmasave ½ block up Granville (away from the water).

We are a group of 6 arriving into vancouver 1 day prior to our cruise. We have an opportunity to stay at either the Blue Horizon or Sunset Inn & Suites. Can anyone tell me which they would prefer? Pricing is about the same for either hotel.

Thanks!

Sunset Inn and Suites is an apartment hotel .... in fact it is a converted apartment building, nice but a little out to the swim of things. Blue Horizon is well located on Robson St. large rooms, lots of shops and restaurants close by and a real favourite among cruisers....I'd go with the BH if it were my decision.

Take the Blue Horizon - its more central and was built as a hotel - the Sunset Inn is a converted apartment building and while close to restaurants on Davie St is much further to many of the attractions.

Cheers

Dennis

We'll be flying into Vancouver in September for a coastal cruise, Vancouver to Los Angeles. Our daughter and her family are seriously thinking of relocating to Vancouver (to a suburb no more than an hour outside Vancouver). Our daughter has her Canadian citizenship because I was born in Canada. She wants us to look at a few upscale areas. We don't know where to start and you seem so knowledgeable, I thought maybe one or both of you could help us. Thank you for any input!!

Once outside of the City of Vancouver, the closest in upscale areas are the North Shore's North and West Vancouver, then Richmond, Burnaby, Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam and parts of Surrey, White Rock. Here is a link that will help here see what her money will buy in Greater Vancouver.

http://www.realtor.ca/index.aspx?cul=1

There are lovely upscale neighbourhoods in all of Vancouver's suburbs...

The link that Putterdude gave you is excellent. It is the Canadian Real Estate Association Web site and has approximately 95% of ALL of the listings in the Greater Vancouver area shown with photos. Your Daughter can click on the area she wants and type of home (i.e. # of bedrooms, price)

Tell your Daughter good luck with her relocation... Langley is a nice upscale neighbourhood with lots of great restaurants - sports facilities - shopping etc and it is approx an hour from downtown Vancouver - should be quicker once the new bridge opens.

i would stay at the blue horizon. it is centrally located on Robson St. (the best street in town) coffee shop good for breakfast. ask for an upper floor and northshore view. plenty of places to walk to dinner the night you stay. I have been commuting back and forth from Los Angeles to Vancouver for 17 yrs. it is my second home.

Very easy. Greater Vancouver only instead of crap all over the province andcountry.

Still does the same thing and as a matter of fact Realty Link covers the whole province.....but you seem to know all about "crap" so I will leave it at that and consider the source.:eek:

Edited by Putterdude

VANCOUVER has the Third highest-priced real estate in the world.

Number 2 is Sydney, AU and Number 1 is Hong Kong.

I recently learned this when I took an on-line course in order to attend a FAM to Whistler and Vancouver. It is very lovely there and does not get to 105 degrees F. like it is here in L.A.

Question about Canadian currency. We'll be overnighting in Vancouver after arriving from the U.S.. Most of what we'll spend during our 24 hours there can and will be put on a credit card, but what about cab fares, tips, etc? Is it acceptable to use American currency or should we convert some at the airport? I know the exchange rate is virtually even. Thanks.

Edited by ChuckinSC

As a courtesy you should stop at a ATM and get a little Canadian money for the smaller purchases but in reality US $$$ are widely accepted by just about everyone except vending and public transit ticketing machine - also remember you will get Canadian change back - while the currencies are a par there is nothing stopping merchants from discounting US$$$.

Visa , M/C and Amex are widely accepted - the Discovery card less so

Enjoy your stay and cruise.

Cheers

Dennis

Question about Canadian currency. We'll be overnighting in Vancouver after arriving from the U.S.. Most of what we'll spend during our 24 hours there can and will be put on a credit card, but what about cab fares, tips, etc? Is it acceptable to use American currency or should we convert some at the airport? I know the exchange rate is virtually even. Thanks.

I'm spending 3 nights in Vancouver after the cruise .After debarkation, I'm planning on using the ATM at Canada Place to get some Canadian money

before I call a taxi to get to the hotel. Using the ATM at the airport would work for you since you are staying prior to cruise.

Edited by april47

I'm spending 3 nights in Vancouver after the cruise .After debarkation, I'm planning on using the ATM at Canada Place to get some Canadian money

before I call a taxi to get to the hotel. Using the ATM at the airport would work for you since you are staying prior to cruise.

For a 3 day visit to Vancouver it is not a bad idea to get some $CDN but for an overnight stay as Ut has pointed out, it really isn't necessary to go to the trouble.