Vancouver Info if needed

We're considering staying at the Pan Pacific in Vancouver at the END of a cruise. Do they have pretty early check in times? Any additional info about the Food Fair (Food Court?) that is nearby and how near is the train to the International Airport (and cost?). Can you walk to the station and would it be easy to travel with one bag and two carry-on bags? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

During the summer the occupancy rates of Vancouver hotels is very high and that would certainly be the case with the the Pan Pacific. While it is not likely that you could walk off the ship into your hotel room, you never know and certainly nobody could predict that for you. However, the bell desk will certainly take your luggage and hold it while you go off to explore the city.

Here is a link to the food court in the adjoining Waterfront Centre .

http://www.thewaterfrontproperties.ca/en/food/Pages/Food.aspx

With respect to Waterfront Station where the Canada Line to YVR departs from, you are about a 3 block walk and your fare will be $3.75 pp CDN funds only. The travel time to YVR is about 24 minutes but allow about 40/45 mins to walk over, pay fare, walk to platform and then walk from YVR station into the airport. As to whether a person can handle can handle the amount of luggage describe, it is difficult to answer, it really depends on your physical ability.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a shout out to us locals that the downtown sea plane terminal used by Harbour and West Coast air et al has moved to the site at the Convention center - they have already removed the trailers housing the offices etc and once a couple more planes are moved the floats are likely to be removed as well.

Once this is finished both walkers and cyclists will have a completely separated path all the way to Stanley Park.

Cheers

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

I have been reading for 2 days and have at last reached page 98:D. This is an amazing document containing so much wonderful information - thanks to everyone who has contributed.

DH and I are taking our 2 grandchildren (9 & 13) on an Alaskan cruisetour sailing out of Vancouver on May 26th. Our plane arrives around 7PM Sat. the 25th. I know we will be too tired for anything but dinner and bed when we get to our hotel, but we should be up very early on Sun. morning. I would appreciate suggestions on hotels and what to do in our limited time Sun. morning. If nothing is open, should we get a hotel near the park and walk there, or would we be better off really close to Canada Place?

Any suggestions welcome.

I have been reading for 2 days and have at last reached page 98:D. This is an amazing document containing so much wonderful information - thanks to everyone who has contributed.

DH and I are taking our 2 grandchildren (9 & 13) on an Alaskan cruisetour sailing out of Vancouver on May 26th. Our plane arrives around 7PM Sat. the 25th. I know we will be too tired for anything but dinner and bed when we get to our hotel' date=' but we should be up very early on Sun. morning. I would appreciate suggestions on hotels and what to do in our limited time Sun. morning. If nothing is open, should we get a hotel near the park and walk there, or would we be better off really close to Canada Place?

Any suggestions welcome.[/quote']

Downtown Vancouver is quite compact and the distance from Canada Place or almost any downtown hotel is scarcely a mile so location in the selection of a hotel is not terribly critical.

Two hotels close to Stanley Park include Times Square Hotel which has family suites and then there is the Westin Bayshore Inn.

Here is a partial list of hotels within 6 to 8 blocks of Canada Place that I can recommend:

The Pan Pacific (part of Canada Place)

Fairmont Waterfront (across the street from Canada Place)

Fairmont Pacific Rim

Marriott Pinnacle

Renaissance

Hyatt Regency

Fairmont Vancouver

Tower at the Terminal City Club

Coast Coal Harbour

Delta Suites

Metropolitan

Four Seasons

Rosewood Georgia

Sutton Place

Sheraton at the Wall Centre

le Soleil

The Wedgewood

With a hotel close to Canada Place you have the option of walking along the seawall to Stanley Park, walking into Gastown and perhaps going up the Vancouver Lookout.

Thanks PD. The Times Square is full(already?) so I will check out the others. I am not clear on the distances involved - is Stanley Park within walking distance of the downtown hotels? I was thinking we could get out and walk around and visit the tower, and then come back and check out and go to the port. What is open on Sun. mornings? Would any of the craft places be open?

Thanks PD. The Times Square is full(already?) so I will check out the others. I am not clear on the distances involved - is Stanley Park within walking distance of the downtown hotels? I was thinking we could get out and walk around and visit the tower' date=' and then come back and check out and go to the port. What is open on Sun. mornings? Would any of the craft places be open?[/quote']

If you are looking for a family suite type hotel at a reasonable price then check out the Rosedale on Robson St. Most downtown hotels are about a mile from Stanley Park so it really depends your walking ability...it is also accessible by a # 19 transit bus along Pender St. If you go into Gastown you will find that many shops will be open on Sunday after about 0930.

Unfortunately there is not shuttle or transit around Stanley Park at that time of the year....so what you see will be on "shanks mare".

Crafts....sorry I am not going to be able to help.

9:30 is earlier than I expected, and a mile is fine as long as I don't have suitcases. Would the aquarium be open on Sunday? I think the kids might enjoy Stanley Park, and I hate to do a formal tour before leaving on a cruise where we will have tours almost every day. Thanks for your help. I will let you know what I book, and maybe you can help with places to eat.

9:30 is earlier than I expected' date=' and a mile is fine as long as I don't have suitcases. Would the aquarium be open on Sunday? I think the kids might enjoy Stanley Park, and I hate to do a formal tour before leaving on a cruise where we will have tours almost every day. Thanks for your help. I will let you know what I book, and maybe you can help with places to eat.[/quote']

The Vancouver Aquarium opens at 9:30 am. Depending on where you stay, walking the seawall to Stanley Park and going to the aquarium would be a great way to spend Sunday morning.

Wow, this thread has now been running for some 5 1/2 years. I note that CC has been shutting down some of the larger threads and this thread may well fall victim to the this policy soon.

So with that in mind and the fact we have DGC arriving in a few hours for the holidays, this is probably a good time to wish all posters and contributors to this thread a Very Merry Christmas.

• 1 month later...

Hi We are planning on renting an Avis car from Vancouver as soon as we come off our cruise at Canada Place. I have read posts, albeit some years ago, that Avis run a shuttle to pick you up at Canada Place Is this still the case and if so what is the nearest Avis location? If they don't is the Hornby Street location walkable from the ship or would there be plenty of taxis as we disembark?

Hertz actually has an office upstairs in the lobby of the Pan Pacific Hotel just a short elevator ride up from the cruise ship terminal level.

AS to the Avis location on Hornby it would be a long walk hauling luggage and slightly uphill - probably about 6 blocks (long)..

Yes there are taxis available but usually a long line when a ship is in

How to avoid the line.. walk out the doors of the terminal (you are then in a parkade) walk to your right and straight ahead to where it says Convention Centre & Hotel - (there will also be signs directing you to downtown Vancouver) enter these doors and ride the elevator up 1 level to the lobby/entrance (main floor) of the Hotel Pan Pacific and get the door man to put you in a taxi - you will be on your way in minutes.

Hertz actually has an office upstairs in the lobby of the Pan Pacific Hotel just a short elevator ride up from the cruise ship terminal level.

AS to the Avis location on Hornby it would be a long walk hauling luggage and slightly uphill - probably about 6 blocks (long)..

Yes there are taxis available but usually a long line when a ship is in

How to avoid the line.. walk out the doors of the terminal (you are then in a parkade) walk to your right and straight ahead to where it says Convention Centre & Hotel - (there will also be signs directing you to downtown Vancouver) enter these doors and ride the elevator up 1 level to the lobby/entrance (main floor) of the Hotel Pan Pacific and get the door man to put you in a taxi - you will be on your way in minutes.

Hi We will be staying in the Day's Inn Downtown in late August! Would like to visit Stanley Park in the afternoon of our Sunday arrival. What is the best way to get there and are the main attractions within easy walking distance. When I was here 15 years ago we had a car and enjoyed the park. We will be returning in early September and intend to see the local sites, Granville Island, China Town and Gas Town. We can walk to China Town and Gas Town, but need info on getting to Granville Island. We will be staying in the Victorian Hotel on our return

Thanks

Dave

Hi We will be staying in the Day's Inn Downtown in late August! Would like to visit Stanley Park in the afternoon of our Sunday arrival. What is the best way to get there and are the main attractions within easy walking distance. When I was here 15 years ago we had a car and enjoyed the park. We will be returning in early September and intend to see the local sites, Granville Island, China Town and Gas Town. We can walk to China Town and Gas Town, but need info on getting to Granville Island. We will be staying in the Victorian Hotel on our return

Thanks

Dave

I'll do this one backwards - you could walk straight down Homer Street from the Victorian, which ends at David Lam Park just over 1 mile away. One of the Aquabus ferry stops is at the park - it's just one leg, the next stop westbound is Granville Island. Or you could finish your Chinatown walk by heading to the new Athlete's Village area - that will certainly be a big change for you from 15 years ago - and get the Aquabus there which will take you all the way along False Creek to the island. On a nice day it's a pleasant little cruise.

The HoHo tours, if you're interested in them, do have stops just off Granville Island - and at least the Vancouver Trolley includes a one-shot Ferry ticket, possibly the others do too. Local transit buses will also get you close to, but not onto, the island. Get on the #50 bus at Granville & Pender - it'll take you right over the island on Granville Bridge, then swoop back around. Stop 58661 at Anderson Street & 2nd Avenue is the closest one to the island - the HoHo stops are also on 2nd Ave, about a block further away opposite Mariner Walk.

As to Stanley Park from the Days Inn Downtown - go check out the other main Vancouver Thread in the West Coast Departures forum. There have been a flurry of 'getting to and around the park' questions answered recently. Likely the quickest way to the park from this hotel is the #19 bus, which stops on Pender within a block of your hotel (walk either direction and you'll find a stop).

I'll do this one backwards - you could walk straight down Homer Street from the Victorian, which ends at David Lam Park just over 1 mile away. One of the Aquabus ferry stops is at the park - it's just one leg, the next stop westbound is Granville Island. Or you could finish your Chinatown walk by heading to the new Athlete's Village area - that will certainly be a big change for you from 15 years ago - and get the Aquabus there which will take you all the way along False Creek to the island. On a nice day it's a pleasant little cruise.

The HoHo tours, if you're interested in them, do have stops just off Granville Island - and at least the Vancouver Trolley includes a one-shot Ferry ticket, possibly the others do too. Local transit buses will also get you close to, but not onto, the island. Get on the #50 bus at Granville & Pender - it'll take you right over the island on Granville Bridge, then swoop back around. Stop 58661 at Anderson Street & 2nd Avenue is the closest one to the island - the HoHo stops are also on 2nd Ave, about a block further away opposite Mariner Walk.

As to Stanley Park from the Days Inn Downtown - go check out the other main Vancouver Thread in the West Coast Departures forum. There have been a flurry of 'getting to and around the park' questions answered recently. Likely the quickest way to the park from this hotel is the #19 bus, which stops on Pender within a block of your hotel (walk either direction and you'll find a stop).

Thanks for the comprehensive reply! I checked the local bus routes today for both directions. This is the cheapest means of transportationto the park or island.

Dave

Hi We are planning on renting an Avis car from Vancouver as soon as we come off our cruise at Canada Place. I have read posts, albeit some years ago, that Avis run a shuttle to pick you up at Canada Place Is this still the case and if so what is the nearest Avis location? If they don't is the Hornby Street location walkable from the ship or would there be plenty of taxis as we disembark?

Avis ordinarily offers a shuttle between their Hornby St. location and Canada Place but I would double check directly with the location. It is about a 7 block walk from the location to Canada Place, all downhill. One idea would be to drop your luggage off with the porters at the pier, drive to the location, drop the car then walk or take a cab back if a shuttle is no longer offered.

My DH and I are booked for two nights post cruise, at the Westin Grand Hotel at Robson St. & Homer, in mid July. We are not renting a car. We would like to see Stanley Park, Gastown, and the Capilano Bridge. Are any of these within walking distance of the hotel? If not, are there buses or shuttles that go to them. Is the hotel too far from Canada Place to walk with suitcases? I'm pretty sure it is...is a taxi the best bet??? Also, when we fly home on Monday, is it possible to take the Skytrain, or should we just take a Taxi? I like to save money, "within reason", but I don't want to be stupid about it! :o

Thanks for any help you're willing to give....

Linda

The Westin Grand is a terrific hotel, I have stayed there in recent memory.

Gastown is an easy walk, Stanley Park is an 18 or so block walk and that only gets you to the entrance of the 1,000 acre park. Transit will get you into the park but not around it. The Vancouver Trolley do operate a HOHO around the park in the summer months and is a good investment. The Capilano Suspension Bridge does offer a free shuttle to and from the bridge link albeit their summer sked is not up yet. The walk from hotel to Canada Place is about 12 blocks, all slightly downhill or a cab fare will fun you about $10. Your walk from hotel to the Vancouver Centre station of the Canada Line is about 4 blocks, all level.

Thank you so much Putterdude, you have been so helpful to me, and to MANY, MANY others...so please take my thank you, a thousand fold!!!

I booked the Westin Grand on Hotwire (blindly) last night. They had two four star hotels...one "Downtown" shopping and entertainment, and one "Downtown" Coal Harbour-Stanley Park. I would have taken the Coal Harbour Hotel, but the shopping and enter. one was non-smoking, and that was important to us.

I'm sure I'll have more questions as July gets closer :)

• 2 weeks later...
I was wondering if taking the train from downtown Vancouver (Burrard) to the airport is eay and possible with luggage, or just take a taxi?

The Burrard St. station is a SkyTrain station not a Canada Line station. If you want to take SkyTrain to the Waterfront Station and then transfer to the Canada Line that is indeed possible but it is just as easy to walk the 3 blocks over to Georgia and Granville Sts. to the Vancouver Centre station and catch the Canada Line there. The walk is level with curb let-downs at each intersection....so it really comes down to how much luggage you have and if you want to schlep it around....if not then a cab fare from the downtown area to YVR will run about $35.

Has anyone purchased from Hotwire the Vancouver City Passport-Guidebook and Travel Savings? It offers 2 for 1 deals or savings up to 50%. Looking to see if it might be worth the $25 for it.

The current edition is good until May 31, 2013.....then comes the new one. You will likely get a voucher from hotwire to redeem at on of a couple pick up locations. The Ramada Inn on Granville is one of the few hotels licensed to sell and package with them. Pop in when you arrive...We sell them for $5 off at this point until the new edition comes out. Visit the City Passport website for all the deals.

I was wondering if taking the train from downtown Vancouver (Burrard) to the airport is eay and possible with luggage, or just take a taxi?

The "BURRARD" station is on the EXPO & MILLENIUM lines, not the line which goes to the airport which is called the CANADA LINE. However, the Vancouver City Centre station (which is on the Canada Line) is only a couple of blocks from there. Where are you staying?