Vancouver Info if needed

Putterdude, I am up to $100.00 on Priceline now. Still not accepted. I checked the box for 3 rooms. Does this mean we will be guaranteed to be at the same hotel? Once we are accepted is it possible to ask for a room with two double beds instead of one bed?

In all candor, I have never booked more than one room so I would be inclined to contact Princeline and ask them your first question. As for the number of beds, they only guarantee a double room, it may two twins or one double bed, I have never had a problem contacting the hotel and getting a change as my DW requires and accessible room....but there are no guarantees on that. As for the bidding, I would set it aside for a week or so then start again, you have lots of time.

• 4 weeks later...

You should go by what the cruise line recommends .

Personally I wouldn't have a flight out of Vancouver (YVR) much before

12:30 if to the US or Canada. Depending on how you will transfer from the

ship to the airport it could be up to 60 minutes from downtown Vancouver

to YVR . If you take the Canada Line , it could as little as 30 minutes.

Downtown Vancouver traffic can be bad depending on the number of ships

at Canada Place at the same time.

We will be arriving into Vancouver on Sunday 5/6 off the Pearl at 8 AM. What is our realistic time to get to YVR and what would be safe for a flight time out?

Unlike almost every other airport in the world, in addition to check-in and security, you need to pass through US immigration/customs prior to boarding your flight (assuming you're flying to the USA). This can add up to an hour

So I would say you want to be at the airport

60-90 minutes prior for domestic

120 minutes prior for international

120-150 minutes prior for trans-border (USA)

factor in 45 minutes from downtown to the airport (Skytrain is the fastest way), and the fact you need to clear Canada Immigration/Customs off the ship; and the fact that unloading rarely happens as soon as you dock.

So, all of that I wouldn't want a transboarder flight before noon at all, 1pm would be safer

Keep in mind that is the morning of the Vancouver Marathon and while the new course route doesn`t directly pass the cruise terminal it is only a couple of blocks away - the finish line is near the new Convention center so there might be some delays with taxis etc so you should probably add an hour to the time frame that Scott indicated.

Cheers

Dennis

We have to get back to the East Coast. I see flights around 1:45 which wil probably be ok. Fares have been stuck at $325 for months on that flight. For all those that complain about US taxes, the flight home is $250 with $75 in taxes and fees. WOW.

We have to get back to the East Coast. I see flights around 1:45 which wil probably be ok. Fares have been stuck at $325 for months on that flight. For all those that complain about US taxes, the flight home is $250 with $75 in taxes and fees. WOW.

Yes, the US charge a lot of fees for entering by air. Immigration Fee, Agriculture Inspection etc etc

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder if shoppie started this thread some 5 1/2 years ago if he or she thought it would still be running today.

In any event, as we will be on a cruise over the holidays I would take this opportunity to which all the "Vancouverites" and those who have participated in this thread all the peace and joy of Christmas season.

I've been reading many of the postings and have learned a lot, several of my questions have already been answered. The info on the time needed for YVR was really appreciated.

We will be arriving in Vancouver on HAL on Sept 9, 2012, but start our Alaska trip on Aug 26th. I have the Days Inn reserved but would like to do better price or quality wise. When do you recommend that I start checking Hotwire or bidding on Priceline? I've used both sites for car rentals, but not hotels. For cars, I do it about two weeks out.

Thanks so much

I've been reading many of the postings and have learned a lot, several of my questions have already been answered. The info on the time needed for YVR was really appreciated.

We will be arriving in Vancouver on HAL on Sept 9, 2012, but start our Alaska trip on Aug 26th. I have the Days Inn reserved but would like to do better price or quality wise. When do you recommend that I start checking Hotwire or bidding on Priceline? I've used both sites for car rentals, but not hotels. For cars, I do it about two weeks out.

Thanks so much

I have yet to use Priceline.

Anytime I have used Hotwire for hotels I have done similar to you. 2 weeks max. That seems kinda tight for a long planned out holiday...doesn't it :) Good lUck

Could anyone tell me which is the superior location for being able to get to various attractions in Vancouver easily, either the Best Western Downtown or the Sunset Inn? I have never been to Vancouver so I am coming in a couple of days early for my cruise to visit the sites.

Thanks for any help you can give me. Like so many of you have already stated, I am already spending quite alot on the cruise so I wanted a centrally located moderate priced hotel.

Thanks Again,

Linda

Could anyone tell me which is the superior location for being able to get to various attractions in Vancouver easily, either the Best Western Downtown or the Sunset Inn? I have never been to Vancouver so I am coming in a couple of days early for my cruise to visit the sites.

Thanks for any help you can give me. Like so many of you have already stated, I am already spending quite alot on the cruise so I wanted a centrally located moderate priced hotel.

Thanks Again,

Linda

the best western drake is marginnally closer to transportation, but we're talking not a lot of distance between them. If you're looking to save money, best thing is buy some local transit tickets and/or all day passes, and take a pass on organized tours and do it yourself. The local transit system goes to all the tourist spots, and more frequently than the Ho Hos

Thanks so much

My experience with Hotwire is to start looking almost anytime, for instance presently right now Hotwire is showing a 4* hotel on your dates for $149. My guess is that is the Sheraton at Wall Centre....last season it was being had for about $135. With Priceline I would begin bidding perhaps sometime next month and just stay at it every other week until you get a hotel at a price you want.

Thanks Again,

Linda

You have got time on your side to look. I would guess that the rack rate for the hotels you have mentioned is about $200 for $50 less you should have no problem finding a 4* hotel closer into the downtown core. I would watch the likes of Priceline and Hotwire as well as advanced booking discounts on the websites for Hyatt, Sheraton, and Marriott. While transit is certainly an option, they are not a tour whereas the HOHO's do provide narration so you understand what you are seeing.

You have got time on your side to look. I would guess that the rack rate for the hotels you have mentioned is about $200 for $50 less you should have no problem finding a 4* hotel closer into the downtown core. I would watch the likes of Priceline and Hotwire as well as advanced booking discounts on the websites for Hyatt, Sheraton, and Marriott. While transit is certainly an option, they are not a tour whereas the HOHO's do provide narration so you understand what you are seeing.

Putter dude,

The Best Western is $127. I'm always afraid to do bidding process, although I've done it a bunch. Since I'm going with another couple I feel the pressure to get everything right.

Thanks Again,

Linda

Putter dude,

The Best Western is $127. I'm always afraid to do bidding process, although I've done it a bunch. Since I'm going with another couple I feel the pressure to get everything right.

Thanks Again,

Linda

You are more than welcome and if you have the Best Western - Downtown on Drake St. at that kind of rate then by all means stick with it, you are not likely to do any better.

We will arrive in Vancouver May 6 off NCL Pearl. Did I read an earlier post correctly that there will be a marathon that day? If so, do you happen to know the times? We will need to get from Canada Place to our downtown hotel...not exactly sure which one yet, tho.

Thanks!

We will arrive in Vancouver May 6 off NCL Pearl. Did I read an earlier post correctly that there will be a marathon that day? If so, do you happen to know the times? We will need to get from Canada Place to our downtown hotel...not exactly sure which one yet, tho.

Thanks!

Yes, Sunday May 6. here's a link to it: http://*******/wwUN4D

The route finishes at the convention centre, a block west of Canada Place, but the route from Canada Place shouldn't be blocked, and neither should the route to most downtown hotels (a notable exception would be the Bayshore)