Cruise to Nowhere

Has anyone done one of these? DH and I are considering going out of Norfolk, VA on the Victory in June. It would be a quick trip and would make our December cruise our platinum cruise, too! We figure that on these types of things you just participate in lots of activities and gamble. Plus, I'm interested in seeing one of the larger ships for comparision.

Any thoughts or input from someone who's actually cruised to nowhere?

Thanks!

I have done a couple of these CTN's and found them to be very enjoyable, but way too short. It is still a nice getaway. You go out about 200 miles and circle back. You still have quite a great cruise experience--formal night with pictures, the Captain's welcome aboard party and lobster for dinner. I would love to do more of these, but the price is going so high that I could do a 3 or 4 night for the same price. However, I don't know if it will count towards your platinum status. My 2 cruises never showed up on my count.

Cruising out of Norfolk is great and I wish they had more cruises.

Yep, I've done it. Wouldn't consider doing it again. To me, it's 'way too much hassle, even though it was a short drive to the port.

For a two night cruise - you're actually on the ship only 1.5 days. Example: boarding at noon on Saturday, off at 8am on Monday. I felt I had just gotten ON the ship when it was time to get OFF. You have to carry your own luggage on and off the ship - which isn't a major problem - how much do you need for that short time?:D

I also felt that the staff/crew weren't nearly as friendly or helpful as on longer cruises. However, the food was just as good, and I was pleasantly surprised that they provided BOTH production shows. The first night was supposed to be formal night, but most were in casual attire. The Captain's party was just like any other, and lobster and prime rib were served at dinner.

Probably would be great for someone wanting a real quick getaway, and able to drive to a port (would really not do for anyone flying in). I'm sure a lot of folks enjoy this type getaway, but it's just not my cuppa tea.

Sorry I can't be more positive about this, but maybe others who have enjoyed this type cruise more will provide you with more positive replies.:)

Thanks for the feedback, both good and bad! I especially appreciate about the cruise not showing on your count! If that's the case, it will lose a bit of it's charm. Going to check with our PVP today.

As for the price, one of the reasons we've never done one that it is usually the same or more than many of the 4 day cruises we've done. Right now the price of an inside isn't too bad and we were looking at using some of our bunch of crap SeaMiles to make it lower and more worthwhile!

:Sigh: We'll figure it out. Maybe we're just antsy to go since December feels so long away!:(

My cruise to nowhere does show up on my count.

I went on two of them.. back when they were cheaper then what they are now. Todays prices for CTN are too high- I can cruise somewhere for the price to go nowhere.

You have to carry on and off your luggage. No porters- no curb side check in. NO smuggling alcohol- it can and willbe confiscated.

A formal night on the seond night.

My cabin steward NEVER came into my cabin the whole time (tips are prepaid with final payment) I didnt get my beds made up nor did I get fresh towels. It was a weekend so it was not a big deal for me.

the food was just as good as on a 7 day one.. the formal menu will get you lobster.

My cruise to nowhere does show up on my count.

I went on two of them.. back when they were cheaper then what they are now. Todays prices for CTN are too high- I can cruise somewhere for the price to go nowhere.

You have to carry on and off your luggage. No porters- no curb side check in. NO smuggling alcohol- it can and willbe confiscated.

A formal night on the seond night.

My cabin steward NEVER came into my cabin the whole time (tips are prepaid with final payment) I didnt get my beds made up nor did I get fresh towels. It was a weekend so it was not a big deal for me.

the food was just as good as on a 7 day one.. the formal menu will get you lobster.

Great! I am hoping it would count. There's no need to smuggle any thing for such a short trip and we could live without getting our beds made. Still leaning to going for it! If we decide to go, I'll be sure to post a review for anyone else that might be interested.

I do appreciate everyone's comments, so keep 'em coming! :)

I suggest that while you are thinking-- book it now-- you can always cancel it before final payment. THe cruise goes up constantly.

(if you want-- look at the price for next year comparing it to this year..)

when the price first comes out its about 199 per person compared to $$$ per person for now.

I piad 199 for an oceanview a year in advance. same cabins were selling for 350 by the time we left.

Hmmm. Serene, my CTN was much different than yours...

My bed was made, ice was provided twice a day, fresh towels like on longer cruises. No difference there. (Oh, there was was no amenity basket in the bathroom.) The cabin steward just wasn't very friendly, rushed me out of the cabin on debarkation morning, bordering on rudeness, so no extra tip for him!

I took one bottle of wine with me. When boarding, they asked if I had any alcohol, and I told them I had one bottle of wine. The guy smiled and said "Enjoy your cruise."

My CTN is listed on my cruise history, so I'm assuming it counts toward platinum.

Is there a specific site that shows these cruise's to nowhere:confused:

If you look on the Carnival site, under destinations it's found under Special Voyages. There are only two ships listed now. I don't know about other lines, but I'd guess they're similar.

I suggest that while you are thinking-- book it now-- you can always cancel it before final payment. THe cruise goes up constantly.

(if you want-- look at the price for next year comparing it to this year..)

when the price first comes out its about 199 per person compared to $$$ per person for now.

I piad 199 for an oceanview a year in advance. same cabins were selling for 350 by the time we left.

Thanks! We'll decide by tonight or tomorrow. DH is waiting to talk to our PVP and our SeaMiles contact to make sure we aren't surprised by anything. And if it goes up by tomorrow, then that will make our decision for us!;)

Is there a specific site that shows these cruise's to nowhere:confused:

go to the place where you BUYCRUISES or any online ageny and go to advance search- find destinations and click on nowhere. there are a few that do one days.. (they costs over 200pp for inside cabins) its month sensitive so you will have to put in months.. june, sept/oct are the season for nowhere.

RCCL was having a ctn on the new freedom of the seas this month but its been sold out for a long time

Thanks everyone for the input! We ended up getting a pretty good deal considering what the prices had been. I'm just excited about the break from work stress!!:D

I know it will be too short, but we will pack lots of fun into that day and a half! I'll post a full review when we get back 6/12 or so!!

Thanks again!

Archived