Expedition Another Question

deec

will we find the signature Celebrity robes in our cabin...or should I bring one purchased from a previous cruise...Of course with no balcony it probably wont be as important.

We had 2 Celebrity robes in our cabins. Sailed March26-April 2 2006.

Since you have done the expedition trip, do you think a veranda is a "must" or does it really matter. We have always enjoyed our veranda on other cruises, but there were sea days and not "full activity days" as this trip appears to be.

Thanks

Barbara

We did not have a veranda and were glad. The ship is small and there are a number of very private places if you wish to sit on deck. But...the real joy were the friends we made (passengers and crew) and the opportunity to relax, talk, drink and laugh with them. We spent very little time in our cabin except to shower, change and, occasionally, nap!

There were indeed plenty of private spaces on deck. We often wondered where everyone was when we were all onboard between excursions.

No need to wonder...during breaks,inspired by Darwin,we worked on contributing to the process of evolution.Didn't you feel the boat rocking?

I'll tell you the downside of a veranda .... true story .... one night my wife discovered a guest in bed with us ... a grasshopper ! We had spotted it on our veranda earlier in the day and apparently we let it in our cabin via the sliding door ... Well, when you're on this cruise you feel guilty if you swat a fly ... so I captured it in a pillow case and put it back on the veranda figuring if it was smart enough to get on our veranda it was smart enough to find its way off .... I probably violated some rule about inter-island species transportation but it seemed the lesser of all evils ...

Frank

Although I don't think the veranda is a "must" -- We really liked our veranda and having floor to ceiling windows. The couch faced the sliding door. We could sit inside our outside and take in the views. We also used it to hang our wet equipment and wetsuits.

We always have a verandah on all our other cruises, but I honestly didn't miss one on this trip.

When we were in the cabin, we were only interested in taking a shower, changing clothes or sleeping. We didn't even spend much time in the lounge chairs on the top deck. Just too much to do.

sheila,

I have quickly tried to search some of the other galapogo threads for your advice about altitude sickness but was unable to locate what Perscription medication is suggested...I am sure that I have just not looked carefully

thanks,

First you should consult your doctor about all prescription medications and whether you have an underlying medical problems that might be a problem at altitude.

You might look here www.nrel.gov/altitude.html (or in more technical terms here www.ismmed.org/np_altitude_tutorial.htm#AMS )for more info about Acute Mountain Sickness which is more likely than full blow altitude sickness at Quito's altitude (~9200 ft).

I travel, camp and hike at or above that elevation several times a year. My suggestion is the same as others have made - go slow, avoid alcohol and eat lightly. The problem is not so much the altitude (Silverton, CO among other places in the US are higher) but, the fact that you will be making a rapid ascent by flying in (assuming you live at a much lower elevation). Since most people arrive late in the day, resting imediately should not be a problem. If you can find coca tea (mate de coca) I suggest a cup of that. We had it in Peru and I thought it did help alleviate my symptoms (headache).

Personally I'm more worried about the gasto intestinal illnesses that have been reported onboard. Everyone keeps acting like it's normal occurance in South America but, we've been to Peru (and weren't super careful) and we didn't get sick or hear reports about any problems.

Archived