So confused here, Which one????

minniemom

I read too many reviews probably, so I am so confused as to which ship to go on. It is my 30th annv. in Aug. So, DH just told me lets go on a last minute cruise to Alaska. I have been on 2 cruises before but only Disney. WE LOVE LOVE Disney, but want to try something different just for a change. Besides we are West Coasters, and I am not sure I could do the Carribean in the summer, so thus Alaska.

Choices...

HAL, even tho we aren't 50 yet??? I have heard they have great beds.

Celebrity, I have heard mixed reviews about it lately.

Princess, I have heard mixed about it as well.

Okay, next criteria

We don't smoke, Drink or Gamble,

DH loves to read, I am a wedding photographer, so I love to take pictures, so we were thinking veranda.

He does have a black suit, so we would be okay with that, but we are simple people, and don't need really fancy, or gourmet food, like sushi bars,we are pretty plain people, like good steaks, shrimp, salads, love deserts. I read too many reviews, and just when I am all set to book a Celebrity, someone comes along, and says, oh no, don't do that, you want Hal. So I start looking at Hal, and then a friend just told me, OH< no, don't do that, you want Princess, they are fantastic.... So, thus.... I am turning to any and all of you past cruisers, who know so much more than I . Would all of you seasoned travelers, please pass on your experience, and knowledge and best advice, for the undecided... Thanks again....

By all means get the verandah. All the lines have them now.

All the lines are good. Based on your criteria (age, dining, etc.) I would probably choose in this order:

Celebrity

HAL

Princess

I'm sure someone else may have other thoughts.

Whichever you choose will probably be fine for you. Get it done and enjoy your cruise.

The veranda is not important for photography. You are better off going up on deck where you can move about the ship for better photo ops. The three cruise lines you mention are really about equal. Go with the cruise that has the best itinerary.

Whether you go out of Seattle on Mercury or Vancouver on Summit or our home away from home, Infinity choose Celebrity.

The service will blow you away. The ships are beautiful and you will fit in perfectly with the wonderful people who sail on Celebrity.

That said, we have sailed on HAL and found (we are in our early 50s, don't gamble, don't smoke but we love our martinis) it was a little older crowd, especially in Alaska.

I would choose the one going to Glacier Bay rather than Hubbard Glacier. Glacier Bay is magnificent. We have been to Alaska twice and have seen both. Other than that I think the lines are about equal. I hear that the bedding on HAL is great. Definitely go for a balcony if you like to take pics. Pat

Thank you all for answering.... We are going to go on Infinity now, and we are doing a balcony. What would you think of concierge service?? They asked me if I wanted that? Having never had it before, would I never want to go back??? Thanks again for the help.....

Last year booked a verandah on Summit to Alaska and loved being able to see the cities from our room and not dealing with the crowds up on deck when we were in the glacier area. You will love it! Hope you will take some extra time either before or after the cruise to visit Seattle, Vancouver & Victoria - great cities! We've also cruised with HAL, Princess & RCL - can't tell any difference with beds. However, if the beds are new we will usually ask for some extra padding so it's not hard as a rock. Still our favorite is Celebrity (except when we can spurlge for Crystal Cruises)

I have done Alaska twice both times on Celebrity - I love to take lots of pictures and used our veranda for most of them. Both times we went into Hubbard Glacier and it is ok but someday will get into Glacier bay.

Try to get an inland passage cruise not one going oneway either up or back from Anchorage as after Hubbard Glacier there was not much to see on way to Anchorage.

We enjoyed our ports, Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway & Sitka. In Juneau we rented a van and spent the day driving all of its 50 miles of road. Saw lots of eagles and 1 bear plus all the great scenery. I took lots of pictures.

In Sitka we went Whale watching and saw so many different mammels, whales, otters, sea lions and lots of birds. You can do that in Juneau too.

You will love your cruise no matter which ship you take. We've been on Celebrity, HAL and Princess. I like all three but preference in X.

If you have any more questions any of us would love to help.

Francine

It is official we are going X, and doing CC, it is our 30th anniversary only once DH said., BUT now.... Where do we stay after? We will probably just fly in early the morning of, there is a direct flight up the coast, but going home, we will miss the connection, so... do we stay near the port, do we stay near the airport, or do we stay downtown. I have been searching hotel sights, but wondered if any of you have any insights, or if there is a previous post, that I could research... Thanks

Archived