Risky Excursions

ldparker

I find it interesting that our society, on one hand, has become very safety conscience when it comes to the workplace, products, packaging, etc. (steel-toed shoes, warning labels, and the like) but at the same time it seems that more risky and adventurous excursions are now available to the general public. As an example, I just read a horrible post about a lady injured by a dolphins' fluke during a "Dolphin Encounter" excursion.

When I review and choose excursions these days, I usually do not really think-through the inherent rist of the excursion. I figure if the curise line or tour operator is offering the adventure, it must be safe. I have also blindly signed waivers associated with whitewater rafting, parasailing, zipline, etc. without really thinking.

Serveral "adventures" that used to be reserved for scientific exploration, or expedition are now available to us common folks. Back-country grizzly bear viewing, open helicopter volcano tours, swim with the sharks, feed the sharks, hike the canyon, etc. I think I will take more care in selecting excursions in the future and skip adventures that just don't seem safe.

What was your most exciting (dangerous) excursion, and would you do it again?

David

We loved the early morning bike ride down Mount Haleakala on Maui.... speeding down the switchbacks from 10,000’ elevation to sea level. Somewhat treacherous as there were no guide rails and we were going at a fast pace; one girl on her honeymoon was put into the van after swerving too close to the edge of the cliff and then swerving into oncoming traffic!

YES!! we would both definitely do it again.

mary

David, interesting question. I have one for you though. Does

exciting have to = dangerous?

I will be totally honest here and say I have no desire to participate

in something that I feel will stress me out. It is not fun for me.

I can't think of a dangerous excursion that I have participated in....

Now as for something fun and exciting? That would be

every cruise:D :)

Oh sorry, you wanted specific excursions.....I will have to think

about it!

I've only had one bad experience on an excursion, and it was only indirectly related to the excursion itself.

We took the ship's excursion to Tulum, and were taken from the ship to Playa del Carmen in a tender for the start of the trip. The ship continued on to Cozumel, and we were to return there on the Yucatan Ferry after our trip. It was a hot day, and there was lots of free beer offered on the way to Tulum and back, with many takers.

On the way back, there was a huge thunderstorm over Playa del Carmen. Thunder, lightning, lashing rain, gusty winds, the works. The ferry standing ready was not one of the modern, swept-up vessels you often see. It was a lumbering, rusty, old scow, pouring out clouds of oily black diesel smoke. Even moored at the dock, it was difficult to board the heaving, bucking ferry. The railings and decks were slippery, and the deckhands had to grab our hands and arms and basically pull us aboard.

The upper deck was open to the sky, so everyone was crammed into the cabin on the lower deck. It was hot and damp in the cabin, with a nasty smell of diesel fumes, and many of the people who had been drinking the free beer began to regret it as the ferry pitched and rolled as we crossed the water.

The crew were urging the sick people to only hang over the railing long enough to do what they had to do, and then come back inside, so that they wouldn't get washed away. I had a seat on the end of a row, and spent my time leaning away from the wet, green-faced passengers lurching up and down the aisle.

Trying to take my mind off the vision of hell in the cabin, I looked up, and noticed that the life jackets were lashed to the roof of the cabin with sturdy twine. There was no way anyone was going to get one in a hurry. Now I started to worry that the ferry might actually sink, and I kept watching the crew to see if they looked worried, but thankfully, they just looked bored.

It was only a short ferry ride, but it was the longest 40 minutes of my life! I've been to Cozumel several times since, but I've managed to avoid the infamous Yucatan Ferry!

Lisa

During the March 17th (Bleach cruise) on Mercury, I did a beach excursion. On that excursion they had a local guy that offered horseback riding....not Randi's happy horses....

I took him up on his offer and had the best time for the first hour or so...on returning to the stable area my horse bolted into a full gallop...Think Kentucky Derby.

As I tried to pull on the reins and stop him he veered off into the groves.

My leg was slammed against a coconut tree, then I was thrown.

It was exciting, frightening, and I'll cross it off my things to do list now.

Returning home, after hobbling around with what I thought was a pulled groin muscle, and a sore back for a week on the rest of the cruise I went to see my physician. my Doctor recommended a MRI.

Well....I'm still paying for that ride.

Compression fracture on L1, herniated disk on L2, fractured Secrum, and fractures in my Superior and inferior pubic bones. The good news is I didn't break my neck:D Although lately I've been thinking I hit my head also...especially after reading some of my rambling posts here.

I think the important thing to remember is that there are inherant risks that we face everyday in life. From possibly slipping in the shower, to tripping down the stairs, to getting hit by a bus at a crosswalk...But We can't not live our lives. We can only be aware of our surroundings and situations and make the best of any moment at any given time.

I may still be limping and a little sore, and yes I have to use a cane right now for the time being, but isn't it soo much 'cooler' to have been thrown by a horse than to simple get injured by falling off a ladder while cleaning your gutters?

Dave:eek:

Hi Dave,

I remember reading about your horseback ride with free-style flight! That was some adventure!! You weren't really planning on an extreme sports day, were you? I hope you feel better soon.

Lisa

During the March 17th (Bleach cruise) on Mercury, I did a beach excursion. On that excursion they had a local guy that offered horseback riding....not Randi's happy horses....

I took him up on his offer and had the best time for the first hour or so...on returning to the stable area my horse bolted into a full gallop...Think Kentucky Derby.

As I tried to pull on the reins and stop him he veered off into the groves.

My leg was slammed against a coconut tree, then I was thrown.

It was exciting, frightening, and I'll cross it off my things to do list now.

Returning home, after hobbling around with what I thought was a pulled groin muscle, and a sore back for a week on the rest of the cruise I went to see my physician. my Doctor recommended a MRI.

Well....I'm still paying for that ride.

Compression fracture on L1, herniated disk on L2, fractured Secrum, and fractures in my Superior and inferior pubic bones. The good news is I didn't break my neck:D Although lately I've been thinking I hit my head also...especially after reading some of my rambling posts here.

I think the important thing to remember is that there are inherant risks that we face everyday in life. From possibly slipping in the shower, to tripping down the stairs, to getting hit by a bus at a crosswalk...But We can't not live our lives. We can only be aware of our surroundings and situations and make the best of any moment at any given time.

I may still be limping and a little sore, and yes I have to use a cane right now for the time being, but isn't it soo much 'cooler' to have been thrown by a horse than to simple get injured by falling off a ladder while cleaning your gutters?

Dave:eek:

Oh My Dave!!!!! I also remember reading about your trip after

you returned~I am so sorry to hear the damage was so

extensive!

Yes, we risk things every day but sometimes (for me at least)

doing what I consider a dangerous excursion isn't fun.

Of course that is why we are all different:)

Example, I have no desire to ride a horse...not because of your

experience, but it is just something I don't care to do.

And cleaning gutters isn't on my list either:)....LOL

Anyway, please FEEL BETTER SOON!

This is a very interesting post and one which people should really consider, especially when they have children with them..

In December we were on Princess and I saw a young lady( under 21) lose her life on a SCUBA tour..They brought her back to the ship.

I cannot tell you how much pain that I and my family felt for the parents of the young lady.. WE had our son and daughter with us( about her age) and it really made you think about the activiites offered..and the fact that you really need to be careful..

Just because you on vacation, doesn't mean that bad things cannot happen..

Have fun BUT always evaluate the risks...

We were in St. Thomas and went on a snorkeling excursion. I had never been snorkeling before, and I was really nervous. The excursion when we got there had a special for people to try scuba. My husband decided he wanted to try it, and left me with a group of people to start snorkeling. I did not venture far off and I kept the instructor in my sight at all times. Finally I decided that I would go a little bit further...The next thing I knew someone was dragging me under the water and I was unable to get back up....A person who was rather large, panicked when his snorkel filled up with water, and grabbed me. Thank goodness the instructor was there within seconds, but it felt like hours!

Another excursion was in Alaska. We decided to go horsebackriding. The horses were not well behaved, the ground was wet and squishy and the horses kept stumbling, and how no one was hurt I will never know.

Having said that I have been on 14 cruises and out of the probably 50 or more excursions I have been on, I have been hurt on one, and have maybe not liked 5...I am pretty happy with those averages :) The one excursion I am surprised we don't hear about deaths is climbing Dunns Rivers Falls, something I would never do again....

Yea, climbing Dunns River Falls is the one that came to mind for me! I am not sure that I climbed the falls actually - it was more like the guy ahead of me pulled me up with him. I am glad I did it but I would not attempt it again.

What was your most exciting (dangerous) excursion, and would you do it again?

David

On our Panama cruise, we took sea Kayaks across the opening to the harbor at Cabo San Lucas to lands end. The trip was fun and somewhat scary. When we left the water was pretty good, but on the way back the water had 2-3 foot swells and wind was blowing hard. WE had to "right paddle" just to stay on course to the beach. Had we not been somewhat experienced we would have capsided (spelling) many times. Would we do it again yes for sure as the views were well worth it. Just few less fishing boats, tenders, and water taxis would be good. :)

You know what is more dangerous and deadly than any cruise excursion is renting a motor scooter in an unfamiliar place. Way more people get mashed and die on those than scuba or whatever. The statistics for Bermuda motorscooters for example are astounding.

You see people taking chances in vacation spots they never would at home, it's like the danger somehow doesn't count because they are on vacation...

Gee, my excursion problem doesn't seem so bad compared to all of the ones I've been reading here. But in December I went on a Dolphin Encounter in Tortola. I had the proper water shoes on and held on to the railing as I was climbing down the steel stairs leading to the platform to "encounter." Well, I slipped on algae (not unlike slipping on mud) and never made it any further. I broke a bone in my ankle and dislocated my shoulder and ultimately injured my whole left side. Would I do this again? Not on your life! From now on, nothing remotely dangerous!:(

Esther

As X sports increase in popularity it does make the "informed consent" issue interesting...

Cruise lines try to "separate" the shore excursions from their responsibility-liability. Nonetheless, I'm a little surprised the lines so enthusiastically offer "resort course" SCUBA. This type of quicky training is universally derided by the major certification organizations, and their derision is supported by injury/fatality statistics.

To this day, one of the best - but unplanned RADICAL - experiences I've had was horseback riding in Aruba. I told the rancheros I knew how to ride... So I was given a horse that was "lively". Once he had galloped, that's ALL he wanted to do. That animal just TORE across those hard stony flats out in the national park. To this day, it ranks right up there in the top couple of fear/adrenaline rushes I've had... and it wasn't planned... no more than the metal I have in my ankle from a mishap in the Hobacks at Jackson Hole a couple months ago...

Archived