traveling with young children

mj-brat

In August 2006 we will be taking our first cruise with our two young daughters on the Rhapsody. I was wondering if anyone has ever had any safety concerns while on the ship or on excursions that they can share. I am also wanting to know what to do if you have a child that still needs to be in a car seat. Do you need a car seat for the air plane and excursions? I would hate to have to carry a car seat everywhere we go. My daughters are ages 2 and 6. Do you have any great suggestions for traveling with young children? Do you recommend any certain excursions? I truly appriciate your advice and recommendations!!

MJ:rolleyes:

There is a Family Cruising board listed under Special Interest cruising that should be a wealth of information to you...check it out and perhaps re-post your question there.

As for the car seat, unfortunately you will probably need to haul it around IF you want to use one. Most other countries do not have the same awareness or regulatory levels that you are accustomed to in the US, and car seats are not required accessories. There will not be spare car seats or rentable ones for use in most instances. You can use one in an airplane, but it is not a requirement.

You will be able to utilize the camps on Royal for your 6 year old but not your 2 year old. Children need tobe 3 and completely potty trained to use the camps.

---

Roayl carribean does have in cabin babysitting -- make arrangements when you get onboard at the pursers desk.

I haven't been on a cruise yet, but DW and I have traveled a lot with our young son. He's 2 now, but we've been taking him on trips since he was 8 months. You definitely don't need a car seat on the plane. In fact you'll probably have to pay for a seat for your 2 yo. Check the airline's policy though. I've heard there are airlines that don't charge for children under 3, I just haven't researched who they are.

Most excursions through the ship don't take small children, so that will rastically reduce your options. We've cruised with our son since he was 3 1/2 and we rarely do excursions. We usually do our own thing. You can certainly take a cab to areas that you've researched before hand. I don't know what ports you'll be visiting, but for example, in Cozumel, you can take a cab to Paradise Beach. Entry there is free along with the use of lounge chairs and it's very clean. You would purchase what ever food you want there but enjoy a nice beach visit on your own.

Thanks for the great advice. Do you know if any of the dolphin encounters will allow young children? Has anyone ever stayed in an interior room with bunk beds? Is there much space in these rooms? Do the bunk beds have rails for small children?:)

The bunks do have railings. But ask for an extra pillow to prop next to your child ince asleep.

We did an inside cabin for 5 but on carnival. THe cabins are bigger on carnival then on ROyal.

You have young children that will need to nap and the cabin is very dark 24 hours a day so the darkness will come in handy.

There are only three of us, but we've always done an inside cabin. There are railings that are about 4-5" high on teh bunks but a pillow would help. The bunk didn't bother me as much as my DS climbing the ladder. He's not ever fallen, but it still makes me nervous. One of the cutest photos of him on our first cruise is him in only his tighty-whities climbing the ladder. My friends say he'll probably hate that phicture when he's older, but it's adorable!

Archived