bus vs. moped

almostdoc

We are sailing on Royal Car. in July to Hamilton and St. George. Is it best to get a bus pass for the whole time we are there or rent a scooter for the entire time? Can we take the scooter everywhere we'd want to go? Should we just rent the scooter for one of the days? Thoughts on the buses and mopeds!

We are sailing on Royal Car. in July to Hamilton and St. George. Is it best to get a bus pass for the whole time we are there or rent a scooter for the entire time? Can we take the scooter everywhere we'd want to go? Should we just rent the scooter for one of the days? Thoughts on the buses and mopeds!

Unless you are used to Scooters/Mtorcycle at least and driving on the left-take the bus. every trip someone comes back in bad shape from the scooters. Sand doesn't do well with two wheeled vehicles and its all over the place and you are so used to the right hand side you will look the wrong way. Take the bus IMO. You can read back on this thread about the deaths om the scooters if you do a search.

Please use the busses! Every time we cruise to Bermuda they tell people not to rent the bikes. People do it any way and on the trip home there are always several people in slings, casts, and bandages because they thought it would be fun to rent bikes. The bus transportation is very good. We always buy a three day pass for $28. The pass is good for the bus and the ferry. One year some one was killed from our ship when a husband and wife hit a bus.

Five years ago, I rented a moped and had a great time! You do need to be careful, but it was a very easy way to get around and see the sights! That being said, two years ago I planned on renting a moped, but upon arrival in Bermuda decided against it. Either I've gotten older:) or the amount of traffic has increased tenfold! I decided against it and took taxis or the ferry where I wanted to go. The busses don't excite me...crowded and alot of stops. At some beaches, you have quite a walk once you get off the bus. I payed less for the taxis than I would have for my three day moped rental in the long run. Have a great time in Bermuda! Have my trip planned for May 2007 !

3 years ago we took a cruise to Bermuda and rented the scooter/moped for 3 days. You can lock it up by the ship at night. We had so much fun. We went everywhere and found places we would have never found without the mopeds. BUT... YOU HAVE TO BE CAREFUL!!! Very careful. If you are very careful, you will have a great time.

By the way, just booked Bermuda for June 06 :D and we will defiantley be renting the moped again.

Just be careful!

We just got back yesterday and boy were there some injured people. The worst was a couple, early 40's and had been to Bermuda 2 other times and used the scooters and they had no problems. This time he ended up with broken bones, she ended up with a broken jaw in 3 places in the hospital until Thursday the day we sailed. They were going to fly her home from the hospital but she ended up back on the ship. Total cost of $40,000 and from what her friends said she didn't have travel insurance. We're going to keep in touch with them in case they do a fundraiser for her.

In terms of the moped, you can take the moped pretty much whereever you want. As others had said, everyday some people get hurt riding the mopeds so just keep that in mind. If you rent one, be careful on it. But, other than the safety issue, they make it easy to get around the island and if you do it might be best to rent if just for the day.

You can also use a combination of bus service and taxis to get to other places as well.

I've done both mopeds along with buses/taxis and have been to Bermuda four times, including two times on cruises.

Again, if you get a moped be extra careful.

Keith

Those things are sooooo dangerous!!!! The traffic there can be bad, especially coming back into Hamilton, narrow roads and blind curves. Combine that with driving on the opposite side of the road than you are used to and it can be deadly.

We get the bus pass for $28, enjoy the scenery when traveling around and I would not ride on one of them if you paid me!!

Stick to the bus.

There has been a record number of deaths in Bermuda this year locals and tourists...those on mopeds....PLEASE STICK TO THE BUSES... On our last cruise there were two ambulances waiting for injured passengers... The Government is attempting to force renters to give a more comprehensive training before tourists are allowed to take them out. while we were there a few years ago a tourist was in the hospital with a serious head injury even though he was wearing a helmet... .. a helmet didnt' hellp him when he went into a palm tree.

Thank you Parrot Mom for the warning. We have been to Bermuda many times and find the bus works very well. We were in Bermuda on Oct 2003 and a woman from our ship was killed when she and her husband hit a bus. Hey Marlborough is only about a half hour from where we live. Headed to Bermuda on the Majesty this Sunday.

I have heard quite a few stories about serious injuries due to accidents. The locals we were staying with the first time I went even warned us of the risks. I am heading down to Bermuda in a couple weeks and plan to use the bus a lot.

BTW - from central MA myself!

I just returned from Bermuda last week (land tour, not a cruise unfortunately) and I was hesitant about renting the scooter. We did anyway and had a blast. If you are uneasy about it, dont rent one because you'll be looking for trouble. If you feel comfortable on a motorcycle or moped, you'll be ok as long as you remember the left side thing. Take it easy and slow and have a blast. The gentleman we rented from told us to not let the traffic get to you. The locals are used to the scooters. We took our time and if we had a line of cars behind us making us uneasy we'd just pull off a side street and let them pass us so we didnt feel pressure to go faster. We did not venture into Hamilton proper though. The first day we just stayed close to the house so we could get the feel of them. As far as the people crashing into trees and busses, they either must not have been paying attention or something was up. I never felt out of control and like I was going to hit something. Again, I think the thing is to take your time and go at your pace.

Whichever you choose, its a very beautiful island. Enjoy.

We've been to Bermuda 6 times in the past 10 years, and always rented scooters. However, the last tim we opted for the bus. Traffic (locals) has increased dramatically, and add to that the thousands of cruise ship tourists (many of whom don't know what they're doing on a scooter or moped and are lost most of the time), it just seemed like a better idea to bus it.

Archived