The Majesty From Cabin 823

As much as I hate to knock a cruise, especially to relatives and friends, my wife and I had a pretty uneventful one on this ship.

We were on the Apr. 22nd repo cruise out of Charleston, thru the Caribbean and back to Boston.

We found out about this cruise from our in-laws who took it last year and liked it enough to take it again with us. Unfortunately, two weeks prior to departure, my brother-in-law required open heart surgery and couldn't make it.

About three days into the cruise, talking with another couple at our table, we were told that the ship had been cut in half and 110 feet were added to the length of the ship adding more cabins. There were, however, no provisions for the added number of people in dining rooms or the theatre to accommodate. The theatre has a round stage with large poles supporting the deck above all around (which might be right in front of you) and lights all around facing the entertainers. Unfortunately, those lights shine directly into passengers eyes throughout the shows. The ceiling (or upper deck) is so low that with the theatre full of people the temperature was kept very low, uncomfortably low. Now, with the ceiling being low, the incline from the stage is very slight, which means, if you are behind a wide body (and a pole), you might want to bring along a periscope. If you expect to get decent seating (in front of the stage), you'd better get there early.

On the general condition of the ship: I noticed that the rugs on stairways were worn out on the edges. We had mildew in our shower tile and the sink had chips out of the porcelain. For some reason, our faucet would not put out cold enough water. This is a tired ship.

On entertainment: After cruising with other cruise lines and getting Vegas type entertainment, the entertainment was a real let down. I guess if you expect great entertainment this is not the ship for you. I cannot knock the enthusiasm of the entertainers. A couple couldn't carry a tune in a bucket, but danced beautifully. We did have a Flamenco guitarist and a group of dancers come from one of the islands, one evening, and put on one of the best shows I'd seen on a cruise. Rather than fight the crowd for seats, the lighting and air conditioning, we chose not to see most of the shows, so I can't comment on the other entertainment we missed.

On shopping: If you like to shop for jewelry, as my wife does, the shops on the Majesty leave much to be desired. Same old stuff day after day. I say, at least, move it around!

We took a few tours ashore, but were not impressed with the bookings. For example, our tour in San Juan was to be 3 hours long. It lasted exactly two hours and we could barely understand the tour guide. After complaining when we got back, we were refunded a whopping $7.50 per person.

My wife and I both got the flu when we left Nassau and from what I observed in the infirmary while I was waiting to see the doctor, 7 crew members came in for care. I know, at least two of them, were food handlers.

I'd say that 99.9 % of the crew we dealt with were great, a couple exceptional. We did have a couple of waiters that were a bit short. There were instances when we would ask for a particular type of cereal in the morning or anchovies for a salad only to be told that the kitchen had run out. The next day (different waiter or waitress) when we'd ask for these items, they'd have them. Funny, we were at sea and didn't hit port to replenish, to my knowledge!

This is my sad tale of our "Majestic Caribbean" cruise. I'm SURE it was only me!

-Bored

Gee Bored, my DH and I were on this cruise as well, and we had an absolutely phenomenal time. Actually, it was probably the best cruise itinerary we've ever done to say nothing of a what a bargain it was.

I scoured these boards for weeks before the cruise getting all the information I could on the ports as well as the ship itself. I also joined the roll call and met some of the nicest people I've ever encountered on this cruise. I didn't go with high expectations about the ship and ended up being pleasantly surprised. It's a smaller, older ship but clean and comfortable (more like a den at home rather than a formal living room that people are afraid to go into). The staff was friendly, polite, and approachable, the food was just fine-never went hungry, and the entertainment was pretty good too. The theatre is not anything like you'd find on the newer ships like the Dawn, but if you planned accordingly and got there early, good seats were always available. I, too, am a jewely lover and always buy a piece or two on a cruise. I don't plan on finding what I'm looking for on the ship. The islands we visited are jewelry shopping meccas. Did your wife check out the shops in St. Thomas, St. Kitts and Aruba? Incidently, I also bought a couple of pieces on the ship. They had a better selection than I've seen on most of the cruises we've been on both qualitywise and pricewise.

My only disappointment on this cruise was learning that it would not be offered again next April. I would book it again in a heartbeat!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder .......I love this small, classy, mature lady and always manage to do her Bermuda run from Boston every summer. She doesn't have all the " bells and whistles" but she sure brings me a lot of joy ! :) If you sail her, please go not expecting to be on the Jewel or Dawn, that's where people seem to make their first mistake.

I'm sorry but I have to say, if you're going to let a chip in the porcelain of your sink ruin your cruise, you should really think about flying next time. This is the fourth time I've seen someone complain about something as minor as that. Everyone knows the Majesty is not a brand new ship. She's going to have some wear and tear. Give her a break.

I guess that I ruffled a few feathers. I'll try to explain my feelings about this ship.

First of all, this is the first cruise with NCL that we have taken. All other cruises were with other cruise lines. In the past we have had no complaints about the ship, shipboard shops or activities.

Our stateroom was quiet, but not as comfortable as we would have expected. It was difficult to sleep in a bed three feet wide, against a wall and under another bed above (but not in use, which I clobbered my head on). The attendant made every effort to make our stay enjoyable, which we appreciated.

If I wanted to eat out of cans, I would have stayed home. Any kind of food will fill you up. I go on cruises for a variety of choices, and prepared in such a way that I don't have to guess what I'm eating. Come on now, a baked potato as an appetizer?

As for shopping, yes we did shop on the islands. Here's something to think about. Had it been planned out on this particular cruise, we could have gone a different route hitting the islands (3) which were celebrating holidays, those shops just might have been open when we went ashore.

I must admit, my expectations were higher.

Our stateroom was quiet, but not as comfortable as we would have expected. It was difficult to sleep in a bed three feet wide, against a wall and under another bed above (but not in use, which I clobbered my head on). The attendant made every effort to make our stay enjoyable, which we appreciated.

Question: Couldn't the beds be moved together? What do you mean a bed above? These are sincere questions as I've only cruised once before and had an outside cabin with a queen bed--they moved the two beds together.

Thanks to all who had lovely things to say about the Majesty. I'm booked on her for the October 8 sailing from Boston. I know she is smaller and older but that worked for me on the Dream last summer and expect it will work for me on the Majesty as well.

Question: Couldn't the beds be moved together? What do you mean a bed above? These are sincere questions as I've only cruised once before and had an outside cabin with a queen bed--they moved the two beds together.

Thanks to all who had lovely things to say about the Majesty. I'm booked on her for the October 8 sailing from Boston. I know she is smaller and older but that worked for me on the Dream last summer and expect it will work for me on the Majesty as well.

Yes, the beds could be together. Let me explain. Since I have bad shoulders, I constantly turn over and it would disturb my wife. When we got to the stateroom the beds were together, and we asked the attendants to separate them. When they are together, there are two chests of drawers (1 narrow and 1 wider) that are on either side of the head. There is also a refrigerator cabinet that actually touches the corner of the bed on one side. In order to access the bed from the side one must step over this corner. There is also a bracket that sticks out about a foot from the floor, so if you are not careful (as I was not, not seeing it) you can take a chunk out of your leg. When you sit on the side of the bed, and let's say are putting shoes on, and raise up you can hit your head on the bed folded down on the wall. When folded down it sticks out about 6". The bed on the wall is an extra if needed, but when not used, it is folded down parallel to the wall. The staterooms are small, so they sort of cramp things together. I suppose, not seeing other staterooms, that they do vary in size. You may not have this problem. Good sailing!

"Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?"

Bored Cruiser,

Thanks for the clarification and the heads up re the bracklet sticking up. I knew the cabins were small but I'm traveling on my own so it will work. Before your answer I swear I had visions of bunk beds in the cabin! LOL.

Again, thanks for the info.

About three days into the cruise, talking with another couple at our table, we were told that the ship had been cut in half and 110 feet were added to the length of the ship adding more cabins. There were, however, no provisions for the added number of people in dining rooms or the theatre to accommodate.

Do you believe everything you're told? The "stretch" given to Majesty added the areas that are now the Four Seasons and Le Bistro dining rooms. A second swimming pool was also added, as well as additional public spaces. We never had to wait to be served at any meal on our Bermuda cruise last September--with a full ship.

Yes, it's an older ship. But we had a great time on her and are seriously considering repeating the cruise this fall.

BoredCruiser: Don't let your experience on the Majesty turn you off to NCL in general. I feel the same way you do regarding the Majesty. Some people love her but she's just not my thing. I find the ship to be too small for me and not enough to do for my kids. The Dawn on the other hand is amazing. I could live on that ship. So the next time try a bigger, newer ship. I find the cost to sail the Dawn from NY for 10 or 11 days is not that much more than sailing the Majesty for 7 days.

Maybe it will if they enlarge the cut into St. George again. Barb

It's not the size of the Town Cut that limits the size of ships into St. George's Harbor. It's the depth of the Harbor more than anything else. The Harbor is only deep enough for a ship 700 feet long to turn around at the piers. That's why all the cruise ships that enter St. George's Harbor are less than 700 feet long today.

It's likely St. George township will not dredge any more coral for longer ships. The best hope is that Hamilton will, which has a similar length restriction at the piers for ships to turn around.

Hotspur: You're right about that. That's why I've taken the Majesty twice even though I'm not crazy about the ship. Bermuda is beautiful and sailing the Majesty is the only cost effective way (for me) to go to Bermuda for 3 days. Besides, the last time I sailed the Majesty I made it to the pier in 7 minutes.

BoredCruiser:

I agree with you - the Majesty is a floating dump! We were on her 2000 and she was bad then. I love cruises (Carnival, RCCL,Celebrity) and talked my boss into taking the Presidents Club members on a cruise. Was I embarrassed- food not even worth eatting, filthy dirty all over, smokey...40 people and no one had a good time. I guess that is why there are Motel 6's and Marriotts.:(

BoredCruiser:

I agree with you - the Majesty is a floating dump! We were on her 2000 and she was bad then. I love cruises (Carnival, RCCL,Celebrity) and talked my boss into taking the Presidents Club members on a cruise. Was I embarrassed- food not even worth eatting, filthy dirty all over, smokey...40 people and no one had a good time. I guess that is why there are Motel 6's and Marriotts.:(

On the other hand, it could of just been you.........

BoredCruiser:

I'm not surprised those traveling with you did not have a good time.

I have traveled around the world and been on many vacations and cruises - and it's hard for me to have a bad time on a cruise. Not only was the Majesty a dump they changed their course while en route and sent us to Freeport - ANOTHER DUMP!

Guess you are Motel 6 people - remember the light is on - I'm headed to Marriott and RCCL!:o :D

We've cruised on the Majesty - Boston to Bermuda. It is a smaller, older ship. It's problems go beyond that, in my opinion. It was smoky, noisy and dirty. The food was not good. Most staff tried hard but they were working in a difficult environment. Also, lots of baseball hats in the dining room!

I have traveled around the world and been on many vacations and cruises - and it's hard for me to have a bad time on a cruise. Not only was the Majesty a dump they changed their course while en route and sent us to Freeport - ANOTHER DUMP!

Guess you are Motel 6 people - remember the light is on - I'm headed to Marriott and RCCL!:o :D

Guess you'll drag those places down too. I hate people that are full of themselves almost as much as you hate being relegated to having to actually interact with the common folk. Good luck at RCCL. Hopefully someday you can meet a bunch who are just like yourself ;) .

RalphinSC

why would you make such a negative statement about me? "drag them down" ..Maybe your trip on a NCL cruise is a good escape and a step up from your dreary life in SC??? I have been on many great vacations and cruises and the only bad one was NCL- why do you and others take this personally? Do you own the company? If a poster was not satisfiedl with RCCL I would not act so hostile...get a life.:p

Archived