Hotels in Tampa and San Diego

Georgia

I would like to have recommendations for hotels in Tampa and San Diego for next Janaury. We will be taking the Panama Canal cruise on January 5 on the Ryndam.

Thanks,

Georgia

We live twenty minutes from the cruise ship dock in Tampa. The closest hotel to the pier is the Hilton Garden Inn in the Ybor area of Tampa. We have also stayed at the Marriott Downtown and Doubletree Hotel Westshore. If you have any other questions about Tampa just ask away.

I highly recommend Marriott Waterside. Five minutes from the dock. All services you would expect. Nice rooms, good breakfast/lunch/casual dinner restaurant; very large sports bar; fun lobby bar. Swimming Pool on 2nd or third floor (outside). Nice hotel.

Don't know how far it is from there to the port and doubt they provide shuttle service, but we've stayed at the Marriott right in the airport before and it was very nice. Had one of the best breakfast buffets I've ever had there. We got an decent internet rate but I do know that their normal rates can be a bit pricey. Probably the nicest airport (or near airport) hotel that we've stayed at.

If time permits, try to have dinner at the Columbia restaurant in Ybor City

We have stayed at the Embassy Suites on Pacific Highway in San Diego many times both pre and post cruise. It is very handy to the ship terminal and the airport. Also within walking distance of Seaport Village, Midway, Horton Plaza and The Fish Market where we have eaten lots of times. If you get a room on one of the top floors facing the harbor, you can watch the ship sail away. The Fish Market is also on the harbor - great for watching all the sailboats, etc.

In Tampa I stayed at the Marriott Waterside. Very nice hotel. This is a large full service Marriott. No free breakfast.

I have stayed in other Hilton Garden Inns but not any in Tampa. HGI's are all fairly new and very nice. It is not a full service hotel but they do have a small place to eat and a small bar. No free breakfast.

I am not familiar with the Hampton Inn that was mentioned, but Hampton Inn's do have a free breakfast. They are usually ok, but every now and then you can get stuck with a bad one.

For San Diego, I prefer the Holiday Inn across the street from the pier. It is a large complex and oh so handy to or from the ship.

In January, I went on priceline and got a very nice hotel for my bid, but the name escapes me at the moment.

The Holiday Inn right across the street from the San Diego Cruise Ship Terminal is the Holiday Inn on the Bay. Note that it has free airport shuttle, as does, as I recall, the Hampton Inn. Here's a link to the HIOTB: http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/1/en/hd/sanem

There is a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse on the grounds of the HIOTB.

The Embassy Suites mentioned in prior posts is also very well located.

I highly recommend Marriott Waterside. Five minutes from the dock. All services you would expect. Nice rooms, good breakfast/lunch/casual dinner restaurant; very large sports bar; fun lobby bar. Swimming Pool on 2nd or third floor (outside). Nice hotel.

Sail, is this Tampa or San Diego?

I need a hotel in Tampa for a one-night pre-cruise stay for my Europe cruise next year. Can't risk missing the boat since the first port isn't until Portugal ... some seven days after embarkation. Is this conveniently-located hotel in Tampa? Do they offer free transfer to the pier on embarkation day?

Blue skies ...

--rita

For San Diego, I prefer the Holiday Inn across the street from the pier. It is a large complex and oh so handy to or from the ship.

In January, I went on priceline and got a very nice hotel for my bid, but the name escapes me at the moment.

I agree. The Holiday Inn across the street from the pier in San Diego is an excellent choice. I stayed there in January and got a good rate. Also got upgraded to a bayside room which offered me a wonderful view of the Amsterdam sailing into port early that morning. The hotel offered great ammenities and the room was huge. They even offered a free shuttle to/from the airport, and even the cruise pier for those with too much luggage to carry over ... or for those like me with bad backs. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

We will be going into Tampa a day early for our cruise and would like recommendations on sightseeing. What should we do with one day?

Same holds for San Diego. We are thinking of spending an extra day there?

Georgia

Sail, is this Tampa or San Diego?

I need a hotel in Tampa for a one-night pre-cruise stay for my Europe cruise next year. Can't risk missing the boat since the first port isn't until Portugal ... some seven days after embarkation. Is this conveniently-located hotel in Tampa? Do they offer free transfer to the pier on embarkation day?

Blue skies ...

--rita

The Marriott Waterside Hotel is in Tampa.

I don't know if they offer a free shuttle to the dock. It is possible they might but it is so close the taxi fare is very, very low so we never inquired.

There are a few excellent hotels in San Diego

The Holiday Inn seems to be a popular venue, but there are many other parts of that fine city that deserve mention. (Thanks to my compadre in SoCal :))

Try http://www.signonsandiego.com

You'll get hits on downtown, Coronado, Pacific Beach .. etc .... )

Depending on when you visit, you'll always get good deals from many properties.

Any questions, don't be afraid to ask.

All of the ones mentioned for San Diego are great. Try Anthony's Seafood Grotto walking distance from Holiday Inn. Book early. San Diego is a magnet for winter conferences, because of the wonderful climate.

Blue skies ...

--rita

No free shuttle from Marriott Waterside, but the cab fare is very low since it is so close. When I was there we could see a Carnival ship that docked from the back patio, but the Veendam was a little further down.

There is a cute trolley that has a stop across the street from the hotel that for a 1 day fee ( a couple of bucks), will take you to Ebor City, the Aquarium and a shopping center. I did this last year and enjoyed it. I didn't go to the shopping center but did go to the area where the Aquarium is and Ebor City.

Archived