Poseidon! Who saw it? You Like? You hate?

M.S JAZO

What did you think of "Poseidon" The Movie?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of "Poseidon" The Movie?

• Loved it!
    • Hate it!
    • Ah, Could be better

I had to see it today, I personally liked it. It has great effects. The plot is ok but i say the scenes make up for it all. The ship looks like the QM2 on the a bit, and with the ballroom and inside looking like the Britannia resturant. All in all, i like it, and would watch it again.

I had to see it today and i liked the movie alot. The effects are great and worth the $9.00 alone. The plot is ok, but i still liked it. The ship looked like the QM2 in a way, outside and in with the Ballroom looking like the Britannia resturant on QM2. All in all i liked it and would watch it again.

Disliked it a lot!

The disaster happened five minutes into the film, the characters never developed at all (and a big complaint of the 1970s disaster films were wooden characters), the characters were not that likeable (except maybe the kid and the mother) and the wave from nowhere was spectacular but didn't make me a believer in how it just happened to arrive. There was no build up of suspense. It was just a non-stop roller coaster of special effects and action. Sure the SFXs were great but a comment I made to my other half first thing this morning about the film being shorter than the original about sums it up:

"They took out all the talking and kept the action".

I guess I was expecting more considering Das Boot is such a tight tense film and Wolfgang Petersen has a knack for sea adventures. So I guess my favourite sea film remains the original 1972 Irwin Allen production of The Poseidon Adventure.

David

If I was Irwin I'd come back and Haunt Wolfgang for making this!

JUST GOT BACK FROM THE "POSEIDON"...with our Cruise Planners of all people!

We liked it and will buy the video when it comes out to add to our collection of "ship" movies. We wouldn't rank it better or worse than the "original". We felt that the characters should have been developed more...perhaps that was left on the cutting room floor and the movie was relatively short. We didn't feel the need to "translate" the characters from the original "POSEIDON ADVENTURE" to the characters in this version, so we wouldn't really call it a "remake". We really enjoyed the exterior views of the ship at the beginning, but would have liked to see more of the interior spaces. The "disaster" portion was akin to the original and any other "disaster" film. The special effects captured us in their "realism". It was the ending which left me a bit flat...it wasn't as plausible as the rest of the movie. Did it make us a bit fearful of going on our next cruise? Not at all...even considering the fact that we cruised on the NORWEGIAN DAWN just two weeks after she was "attacked" by a "rogue wave" last spring!

Like I said...if the movie was longer-the character's personalities would have grabbed my emotions more. You have to really listen closely to learn that the Kurt Russell character was a former fireman and the other "leading" man was formerly in the Navy on a submarine.

As seems to be the vogue in Hollywood these days...there is some blatant "product placement" in the film. Do the "crew areas" on a ship REALLY have soda machines? That seemed a bit unrealistic.

There were some moments in the movie that reminded me of the "Titanic" movie (one of my favorites)...maybe it is just how both ships sank

Go and enjoy the film for what it is...an action/adventure film aboard a sinking ship!

Debjo

Waiting to see it on the Noordam this fall during our transatlantic, think it'll be a featured movie???:D :eek:

Yes - a double feature with "Last Voyage" which we saw on TNT aboard Oosterdam

;)

Haven't seen it yet, but will eventually.

The reviews I have seen aren't too good. They pretty much say the same as the above poster. The wave hits very early in the pic and they don't develop the characters like the first one.

I willl still go see it , if for nothing else the SFX

I thought I would run, not walk, to this movie. But not:( . As soon as I read in the reviews that they didn't bother any character development before disaster struck I said the heck with it.

Unless you're a special effects freak (like my DH), unless you care about the characters how can you care about the rest of it?

Loved the original. It was on TV the other night and I forgot. I'll catch this one on DVD.:)

Heather

you are right

as corny as a lot of those "Disaster" pictures were in the 70's (Poseidon Adventure , Earthquake , Towering Inferno, Airport)

They would have a bunch of little stories and backgrounds on each of the characters that would unfold as the disaster ran its course. True a lot of it was pure soap opera *LOL* But it wasn't all "Cue the Tidal Wave " "Cue the explosion" "Cue the fire"

You felt bad when Shelley Winters died in the first one, because they made her this lovable old grandmother. You felt sad when Ernest Borgnine loses his wife, because he was this big tough guy all through the picture and then he breaks down and shows his emotions.

A lot of movie today are all bells and whistles and no story

I

Loved the original. It was on TV the other night and I forgot. I'll catch this one on DVD.:)

I wouldn't even bother with the DVD when it comes out except for the curiosity factor for those who haven't seen it. Now that I've seen the film I'll pass on adding this to my collection. Its a rental movie only.

I guess in a bit of Poseidon public relations 20th Century Fox released the 2 disc Special Edition version of the original film with tons of goodies (mainly interviews and trailers and storyboard developments). They spent the money in cleaning up the film and putting it in stereo as opposed to a mono version of the DVD released previously. I am glad I bought this "definitive" Poseidon. This one will be my keeper. Yes I did buy it on its release date.

Oh I so agree with those who say character development is important. We all loved the cop's ex-prostitute's wife and the fat jewish lady with a heart of gold and felt the tension between the cop and the priest mainly because they were too much alike rather than different. We liked the upside down barbershop scene and the seasickness and suppository scene near the beginning. For those who hate heights and can't swim we can relate to certain scenes. Soap Operas were a good way of describing these film's character development in that era but they made us laugh and cry along with them.

I can only say I was pissed they killed off the stowaway girl off to see her ill brother in America. The mother and son were believable for a change - no super brainy kid or one that is just plain obnoxious and if I wrote this story these would likely be the only two I would have kept as survivors. The two main stars were supposed to be Kurt Russell and Josh Lucas but they were the most stereotypical of any cookie cutter characters I have seen. The remainders were fluff. I still have no idea why the blonde singer was even in the movie (except for another song tie-in) and why the actress (Jacinda Barrett) got star credit.

Okay. I've said enough. If you like action and adventure you might like the roller coaster ride but don't expect a classic. Titanic was by far better.

Now, can we film Brian's adventure on the Mercury from Ensenada? :D

i personally thought this was a horrible movie. there was no character development, a lot of fast moving chaos, and too much predictability, (i have not seen the original poseidon), and i wanted to strangle the little boy.

a good movie is one where you feel you are in the movie. a bad movie is one where you know you are the audience watching. this movie did not pull me or many others in our theatre into the storyline. this movie gives titanic a run for it's money... which imho isn't saying much.

that said, the special fx were pretty cool. josh lucas is always nice to watch, but why did it look like he was smiling or laughing in almost every shot?

Just saw it. Had to. Love cruises and there aren't that many cruise disaster flicks (we watched Titanic just before a cruise last summer).

In the opening scenes, the aerial shots of the ship are SO computer-generated. They maybe would have gotten by with that until they should the obviously computer-generated people on their verandahs.

There were some tense moments and some very good special effects, but the acting was cheesy.

the acting was cheesy.

Yup. Not a whole lot better than the made-for-TV movie earlier this year, but I still love Kurt Russell. I liked the movie a lot, but I didn't have high expectations going into it. I'd listened to our local critic's 'movie show' on the radio and heard his take on it and he warned about the lack of characterization. (What was the name of Richard Dreyfuss' character anyway? And just how old has he gotten???? Very elegant man.) It was a 'popcorn' movie and as such, I enjoyed it. Just know it's not great cinema, but it's not the worst I've seen ("Napoleon Dynamite") recently.

Robin

Yup. Not a whole lot better than the made-for-TV movie earlier this year, but I still love Kurt Russell. I liked the movie a lot, but I didn't have high expectations going into it. I'd listened to our local critic's 'movie show' on the radio and heard his take on it and he warned about the lack of characterization. (What was the name of Richard Dreyfuss' character anyway? And just how old has he gotten???? Very elegant man.) It was a 'popcorn' movie and as such, I enjoyed it. Just know it's not great cinema, but it's not the worst I've seen ("Napoleon Dynamite") recently.

Robin

haha. i thought Napoleon Dynamite was funny. :p i like kurt russell too. did it look like he aged or was that all make=up?

We went to see it last night. It was definitely an "excuse to go to the mall" movie, but we had to see it as we are leaving for our cruise in a few weeks. Lots of action, fire, suspense, fire, water and fire. Oh, there were a few fiery explosions too. Bottom line, pay attention to the thru- hull evacuation drills and work on holding your breath for long periods of time!

Further bad news for Poseidon. It was the #2 movie on opening weekend with Tom Cruise and Mission Impossible: III being the #1 film. This is as per the Internet Movie Database web site. With The DaVinci Code opening next weekend it looks like this is about the highest Poseidon will go. It will be interesting to see how fast she sinks.

Saddened by the whole mess of this film and the aftermath.

And that's being generous. I sure wish they'd established the characters and increased the suspense before the wave (because we all knew what was going to happen). I liked the shots of the ship in the beginning (and the percussion-driven music at that point) even though they were obviously CG. I liked Josh Lucas, who made Kurt Russell look tired and old -- and Kurt is younger than I. Maybe that was intended so we'd understand his motivation? Kurt will always be "Captain Ron" to me.

I paid $10.50 to see "Poseidon" and I'm glad I went, but the movie that has stuck with me this week was "Out to Sea," which I picked up at Target for $5.50 and watched twice already. I laughed out loud and thoroughly enjoyed the many scenes filmed aboard the old Westerdam. Maybe "Poseidon" shouldn't have taken itself so seriously.

Tot siens (with spelling apologies to Copper 10)

Mrs Muir

Zaandam September 15

Archived