America's Cup Regatta

hac82

Is there any requirement for foot attaire when participating in this excursion? We are wondering if regular sneakers are acceptable of if you need deck shoes.

Can anyone help with an answer?

My recollection is that we were barefoot. Shoes collected and stored during the race.

That said, I may be mis-remembering America's Cup, but on Bluebeard and the Golden Eagle there are NO shoes, they're collected at the dock.

We did the America's Cup Regatta last December. Any sort of tie shoe with a non-slip sole is fine. They just don't want people to wear slip-ons or flip-flops. It is a total blast, by the way---enjoy!

"Scout" aka Carol

Dayton, OH

Carnival Valor~December 2005

We were on the Stars and Stripes on May 17th and wore sneakers. The whole experience was great fun and we would do it again. I was the main sail trimmer.......everybody had a job. We had been told what a great excursion it was and it lived up to it's reputation.

What was the timing of this excursion for Princess sailings? We'll be arriving on the Crown Princess.

I sailed alot as a kid in a 23 ft. boat but I really don't like heeling (tipping) alot. How far over are you, obviously depending on wind conditions? Is this not a tour for those who aren't crazy about amusement rides like rollercoasters?

We went on a rather windy day. 3 of the guys got a bit sea sick but all said they wouldn't have missed it for anything! It was really a lot of hard work--what an experience!!! Everyone should go at least once!! We loved it!! :D I was worried about the tipping but it was very secure feeling even though the top edge of our boat was in the water.

Barbara

Barrbara,

Thank you for your reply. I thought I saw the edge of the boat in the water!!! Just my luck that will be my side!!! I'd rather that than the other side, feeling like I'm going to end up on the other side, I guess! Thrills are just not my thing but I've got to get over it or I'll miss out on some good experiences!!!

Bobbie

I have also wondered about pictures on the Regatta. It does seem that I would not want to bring anything but a waterproof camera. Do they video the Regatta for us and allow us to purchase copies?

No video when we did the excursion, but they had a chase boat that took pictures, available for purchase afterwards.

After the 'race' they brought out backpacks, etc. that were stored below and the crew took pictures with your own cameras.

Next time I'll take a single-use waterproof camera with me.

I also like the idea of giving such a camera to someone on one of the other boats to take snaps of you on yours!

gary

• 2 weeks later...

Beware!!! We also were having a great time until we went up a wave and when we came down, my dh fell back on the rear winch cracking a rib. He continued to do his job but I could tell something was wrong. If he had been wearing a lifejacket, which they offer but don't really push, the lifejacket might have saved him from 4 weeks of physical therapy and some horrific pain. We wrote Carnival suggesting they upgrade the activity level of this excursion. By the way, my dh is a solid built, muscular person who seldom complains, until he cracks a rib, and can't do everything he's used to doing. Have fun but be careful.

• 3 weeks later...

there is a lot of good info on their website. I'm not sure if I can list it or not? (i've seen things on here about not putting third party websites)

however, the company that does the regatta is called, "12metre"

google it and you'll find the site and it describes everything about footwear, photos, food, etc. etc.

there is a lot of good info on their website. I'm not sure if I can list it or not? (i've seen things on here about not putting third party websites)

however, the company that does the regatta is called, "12metre"

google it and you'll find the site and it describes everything about footwear, photos, food, etc. etc.

It is okay to put those kind of websited on this board. They don't want us to post websites for different TAs, though.

This is a fabulous excursion!

Does anyone remember about how many $ per person this will cost?

Just curious. Their website says book through your cruise line and Carnival

is listing it between $50-99 PP. Nothing specific.

We love to sail, so this is right up our alley:) Can't wait!

I have booked this excursion for my DS (18) and DD (13) through the Mariner of the Seas on July 13. Should we wear bathing suits or will shorts be okay. I'm hoping we have enough time to Marigot when we get off and need to know if I should bring dry clothes to change into.

Barbara,

Thanks for the info. I plan on sitting and holding on for dear life while watching my children work!

We leave one week from tomorrow. I have the suitcases out, but nothing in them yet! Last minute shopping to finish this weekend.

Have a great weekend everyone. Cruise Critic members are the best!

have a question here...obviously the boat goes fast and rocks all over the place. I am NOT one who is good with seasickness. I always have to wear the patch on any ship/boat but then I am fine absolutely no problems at all. I have been on ships where the waters were very rough with everyone getting sick and me with my patch was absolutely fine. I will be having my patch on of course so do you think I would have a problem on the small sailboat? I have never had experience with a small boat and extreme conditions. It sounds like so much fun but I dont want to get sick either. Thanks.

We were primary grinders. The problem I had is that I'm short and with short arms I was really putting myself in danger as my head had to be right down in there!! One slip and I would probably have had a broken jaw or worse!! But I held on tight and worked hard and made it through!! It would have been fun if my arms had been longer!! It was really hard work, but great! Three of the men including my DH became seasick. The problem is you work really hard and are looking down the whole time you are grinding. So 2 of the primary grinders and 1 of the main grinders did not feel well at all. They made it to shore but they headed for the "head" as soon as we hit shore and were a little on the green side!!

What a great experience!! Wouldn't have missed it for the world!! We won!!!!!

Next time I would just be the "iceburg watcher"!! I just didn't have long enough arms!!

Barbara :D

Archived