America's Cup Regatta

hac82

Thanks Barbara. I'm a little worried about the seasick issue. We usually have no problem on ships but this yacht has me a little nervous. Guess we wouldn't be the first or the last to get seasick.

I think I'll skip the job you described.......more work than I want to do on vacation!

Maybe you won't have a seasick problem if you're not looking down into the boat and can look out at the land. That usually does it for my DH. As long as he can look out at the horizon or land he's ok. Also on the Regatta, when one of the guys was really feeling ill they put cold water on the back of his neck--I don't know if it helped..?

Have fun!! It's incredible!!

Barbara

I think anyone who sails on the America's Cup boats will have a great time. I was fortunate enough to sail on Stars & Stripes in Newport after the boat returned from Sydney, Australia after the cup races when they were doing some sail testing. I steered the boat with the captain, Dennis Conner,while my husband was a grinder. We had a great time and I'm sure you all will too.

Regards,

Arlene

• 2 weeks later...

I went into the RCI web sight to book the tour but it is no longer offered. Does anyone know why this tour was pulled? I am sure I saw it available a few weeks ago. We are on the Serenade Jan 06 '07 and I really wanted to do this one.

Princess still has it available. The America's Cup website says it is best to book through your cruise ship--but if they don't offer it I'm sure you could book direct! Can't hurt to email and ask them. That way if the excursion is not available when you get ready to cruise you will know you can still book this excursion!! It is an incredible excursion and I'm really glad we experienced it!!!!!! We loved it!!! :D

Here is the America's Cup site in St. Maarten:

www.12metre.com/index.htm

Princess still has it available. The America's Cup website says it is best to book through your cruise ship--but if they don't offer it I'm sure you could book direct! Can't hurt to email and ask them. That way if the excursion is not available when you get ready to cruise you will know you can still book this excursion!! It is an incredible excursion and I'm really glad we experienced it!!!!!! We loved it!!! :D

Here is the America's Cup site in St. Maarten:

www.12metre.com/index.htm

Thanks for the info. I have been watching the Volvo Ocean Race on Public TV and got a chance to see the 70 meter yachts when they came to Baltimore. It got me very interested in doing this excursion. Over on the RCI boards they said that the web site will display this excurstion about 90 days out so I will keep looking.

Thanks for the info. I have been watching the Volvo Ocean Race on Public TV and got a chance to see the 70 meter yachts when they came to Baltimore. It got me very interested in doing this excursion. Over on the RCI boards they said that the web site will display this excurstion about 90 days out so I will keep looking.

The Volvo Ocean race was quite an exciting race! I work for a sailmaking company and know many of the crew on the different boats. I followed the race by receiving daily emails. How lucky you were to see the boats in Baltimore. I heard there was quite a celebration in Baltimore. Did you get to see Disney's pirate boat? Paul Cayard, the skipper is a great guy and I read how he brought school children on board and they pretended to be pirates. I hope you have the opportunity to sail on one of the America's Cup boats. It's very exciting and I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Regards,

The Volvo Ocean race was quite an exciting race! I work for a sailmaking company and know many of the crew on the different boats. I followed the race by receiving daily emails. How lucky you were to see the boats in Baltimore. I heard there was quite a celebration in Baltimore. Did you get to see Disney's pirate boat? Paul Cayard, the skipper is a great guy and I read how he brought school children on board and they pretended to be pirates. I hope you have the opportunity to sail on one of the America's Cup boats. It's very exciting and I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Regards,

I was able to walk close to Brazil 1, Ericsson, and Movistar. Pirates, ABN AMRO One and Two were out in the bay sailing that day. There was a Brazilian Tall ship in Baltimore’s Inner Harbor that day and the Brazilian crew from the tall ship were visiting Brazil 1.

movistarAsmall.jpg.a635fbc2fc0a3b89192f2bbaa68f88c6.jpg

brazilAsmall.jpg.088725c34eeb6cfa9a5df54493d715e5.jpg

ericssonAsmall.jpg.af234cc9a516433d8f36932ea945ae3a.jpg

ericssonBsmall.jpg.e978f968d185fb349a0f2e8f4f4e1700.jpg

I also have a problem with seasickness. But I went on the Regatta and was assigned the job of stopwatch person and bar wench. So I could look out at the sea and watch everyone working! I did not feel sick at all. It was great.

We are booked on the American Cup Regatta this Oct. I am now a little nervous, but excited too! My husband and I have never sailed before and I sure hope we don't get seasick. We have only been on a huge cruise ship out in the ocean. Been on many boats in the lake but that is totally different.

Also, do they frown upon those who don't want to participate? I really just want to relax and enjoy it. Are most of the people who do this used to sailing?

Thanks for all the info! I just love these boards! :)

We are booked on the American Cup Regatta this Oct. I am now a little nervous, but excited too! My husband and I have never sailed before and I sure hope we don't get seasick. We have only been on a huge cruise ship out in the ocean. Been on many boats in the lake but that is totally different.

Also, do they frown upon those who don't want to participate? I really just want to relax and enjoy it. Are most of the people who do this used to sailing?

I also was nervous about taking this excursion and passed it up the first chance that we had - I thought I would be too scared! After finding this board and reading about all the fun everyone had on this excursion, I got brave and booked it. I sure am glad I did!

We had never sailed a boat before and had a marvelous time! If you don't want to do anything strenuous, you could be time keeper or bar keeper :D(I don't think the bar keeper does anything during the race itself since everyone is too busy to drink anything)! I don't remember if some people did nothing, but maybe some did. It is such fun to race against another boat! I was lucky that when on the way back to the dock the captain let me be at the wheel! What a fabulous experience to be at the wheel of THE boat that won the America's Cup!

I think the reason some have gotten a bit sea sick is looking down while they're doing their job.

They don't frown at all no matter what you want to do or not do!! They are there for you to have the best time you can! Most people that were on with us had not sailed before. They explain everything really well and if you "help" they have practice and teach you how to do whatever it is you're going to do. It is a wonderful excursion!!!! We loved it!! Hope you have great fun!!

:D

Not only is THAT cool, I got to be at the wheel of Stars and Stripes as we came back into the harbor!

528946906ibezdT_ph.jpg

You look great at the wheel. And I know how great that feels as I was also at the wheel in Newport. I will tell Dennis Conner if he is ever looking for a skipper that you're his gal!

Regards,

Archived