Haggis on my birthday!

We've just booked a cruise for this August aboard Golden Princess, and we'll happen to be in Scotland (Greencock/Glasgow) on my birthday!

Being of Scots-Irish decent (slan Mac Eachain), I would very like to try haggis for the very first time.

Can any of the local contributors offer opinions as to were we should dine? Thanks in advance for all opinions!:D

You will actually find it quite difficult to find haggis on a restaurant menu in Glasgow but there are a couple of restauants who offer 'traditional' Scottish fare.

There is one called 'Rab Ha's' in Hutcheson St in the Merchant City area of the city centre which I know serves haggis. I have eaten there and the food is very good. It is only 2 minutes walk from Argyle St which is one of the main shopping areas of Glasgow.

Thank you scottie! I found the website for this restaurant/bar, and it looks ideal! I believe it will fit in very well with our plans for the day. Thank you so much for taking the time to post!

Please Ignore Elaine's Advice -irn Brew Is A Repulsive Sugar Laden Soft Drink. Stick To Scotlands Original Drink- The Water Of Life- Whisky (I Would Also Avoid Chip Shop Haggis Unless You Are Looking To Promote A Coronery)

To Bankofdad

I am not 'au fait' with the means members can contact each other directly but if it is considered suitable let me know how I can contact you (email?) and I will happily send you some canned (tinned) haggis. It is very good.

To Bankofdad

I am not 'au fait' with the means members can contact each other directly but if it is considered suitable let me know how I can contact you (email?) and I will happily send you some canned (tinned) haggis. It is very good.

Thank you so much Scottie! This offer is very much appreciated. My email address is tmpower@prodigy.net (I am in the emergency power business), and I can provide my fedex acount information, etc.

Would you also be able to tell me some about the Galloway area of Scotland? My heritage dates back to A.D 247 in this area, yet (I'm ashamed to say) I really know nothing about it. Can you tell me what it's like?

Thank you so very much!

bankofdad

Galloway is in the South West of Scotland and is now part of the Dumfries & Galloway region. We spent a few days there last year (in Portpatrick - a little harbour village) and it is a very scenic part of the country. A car is essential as it is such a large area to cover.

Afraid I can't offer anything on the history of the area but this link might start you off in the right direction

http://www.visitdumfriesandgalloway.co.uk/

Incidentally, old maps show that my clan originated from the same area - maybe we are related ;)

Enjoy your haggis

Malcolm

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you so much Scottie! This offer is very much appreciated.

Hi Scottie99,

I sent an email to you, but also wanted to thank you publicly for your kindness and generosity. The Haggis you had sent arrived yesterday afternoon, and I'm looking forward to preparing it!

If there is anything I can do to reciprocate, please let me know. I can't tell you enough about how much I appreciate your graciousness and hospitality.

Thank you again!

Hi bankof dad and all you of you Scots out there,

I like my haggis as served and toasted at a Rabbie Burns' supper.

Of course the whisky helps it go down much smoother.

To The Bard. A short excerpt cited below:

ADDRESS TO A HAGGIS by Scottish poet Robert Burns

Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face (jolly face)

Great chieftain o' the puddin-race!

Aboon them a' ye tak your place, (above them)

Painch, tripe, or thairm: (paunch; small guts):eek:

Weel are ye wordy of a grace

As lang's my arm.

I'll save you the gory details of the other ingredients :eek:

in the other verses.

...Ye Pow'rs, wha mak mankind your care,

And dish them out their bill o' fare,

Auld Scotland wants nae skinking ware,

That jaups in luggies;

But, if ye wish her gratefu' prayer,

Gie her a Haggis!

Have a very Happy Birthday! :) :) :)

Bank of Dad

It has been a pleasure to help. I hope you enjoy it! Let me know what you think about (be truthfull now!-not everyone likes it!)

I am off to Barcelona on Saturday for a week on the Voyager.

Contact you later

Hi Scottie, I'm joking about the haggis. I'm sure the haggis you

sent is very good and it was good of you to do it.

By the way I do remember the movie house on Renfield St.

where your business is now. Have fun in Barcelona.

What a beautiful city it is. We did a Med.cruise out of it

in 1999. I'd like to go back again.

Bon Voyage!

So pleased to read that a fellow Scot helped you out! Yes, haggis is utterly delicious and I would eat it anytime. I do hope you enjoyed it. And do try Rab Ha's - excellent food and a great atmosphere. We're off to Tahiti in 2 weeks - reckon they won't be serving haggis!!

• 4 weeks later...

I had the perfect opportunity to try the haggis Scottie99 had sent to me last night, and I have to say I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it! A wee dram of Dewers while heating it up, and a glass of Dewers with the meal made me feel very satisfied! I still can't believe Scottie's generosity!

I tried to get my daughter to join me (she just turned 10), but she declined after she read the ingredient label. I did get her to try escargout on a previous cruise, and now she's hooked! So, someday, I will get her to try it....

We definitely plan to dine at Rab Ha's after a day of touring the Dumfries & Galloway region on our own (to my wife's horror, I'll be driving a rental car:eek: ). Fortunately our ship is in port from 8AM on the 15th of August and doesn't depart until 2AM on the 16th.

Can anyone tell me how late most of the stores stay open in the Glasgow shopping district/area, and what types of things would we find that are uniqely Scottish?

Thanks again to everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

bankofdad - re store opening times, most city centre locations will close around 6pm although out of town stores will close later. That said, stores within the larger city centre malls (e.g.Buchanan Galleries) will likely stay open until 8pm or even later. This is only an indication for you as actual times may vary.

You also asked for something uniquely Scottish to buy. How about a quaich (pronounced kwaych - a soft ch at the end). It is a 2 handed drinking cup which usually comes with a little card explaining its origins and history. A nice reminder of Scotland to take back to the States. Small ones will cost between 10 and 20 GBP and can be purchased at a good Jewellery store (try the Argyll Arcade - its full of these stores) If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

Enjoy your drive to Dumfries & Galloway.

You also asked for something uniquely Scottish to buy. How about a quaich (pronounced kwaych - a soft ch at the end). It is a 2 handed drinking cup which usually comes with a little card explaining its origins and history. A nice reminder of Scotland to take back to the States.

Thank you very much for the info! Sounds like something right up my alley!

• 3 weeks later...

Bankofdad, the things I buy in Scotland are:

1. A fifth of whisky--Oban is excellent, and on my last trip in May I bought Jura. Try one of the smaller distilleries' fare when you're having your haggis.
  2. Anything with a thistle on it - just bought a key chain this last time, but I have earrings, a glass paperweight with a thistle in it and can't remember what else.
  3. Woolen goods - in May I bought fabric in the Stuart of Bute tartan which I claim as I could find nothing made in that tartan. I ordered the fabric at a department store in Edinburgh, and it was shipped to me. I'm sure you'll find a woolen mill in Dumfries and Galloway.
  4. Sometimes a little trinket with a sheep or Highland Cow--maybe a refrigerator magnet.

You'll do fine driving, especially once you're outside the city. I'm the driver when DH and I go, and he serves as my co-pilot who warns me when I'm about to do something wrong. The roundabouts are fun once you get used to them.

I envy you as you can tell from my screen name. Enjoy your time in that wonderful land.

Archived