Haggis on my birthday!

Try this for fun. :D

Looks like fun! I'll have to spend some time at the wesite. Thanks for the link!

Btw, any pub recommendations for our walk down the Royal Mile from the castle? Lunch with a pint or three:D !

Bankofdad

I recently had a very nice lunch in The Worlds End Bar (haggis funnliy enough!) on the right hand side as you walk down the Royal Mile.

Regards

Scottie

Thanks Scottie! I'll give it a try, and I'll raise my glass in a toast to you while I'm there:D !

Sorry on the pub front. We rarely eat and drink on the Royal Mile as we have other favourites around the city. However, there is a huge choice of pubs and places to eat, just browse menus etc. If you are here in August you might not have as much choice. Edinburgh is bursting at the seams then and you might need to go into whichever pub you can push your way into. Remember to look at side strreets as well. Theres lots of pubs and eating places in the streets just off the Royal Mile.

And because of the huge crowds and the fact that parts of the Royal Mile are used for street theatre, your progress along here will be very slow, one because of the crowds, two because theres lots to distract you. Keep close together and take extra care with wallets, valuables etc. This is not because Edin is particularly bad for pickpockets, its simply because theres often crowds, even a crush,plenty to distract you, and some will take advantage of that.

Three suggestions for you.

If you are heading into Edin Castle try to get there as soon after opening time as possible, and once in, go directly to the buildings where the crown jewels are. Once you enter the castle you will be tempted to wander, admire views etc, but you can do that later so dont put off time here now. The crown jewels attract very long lines and the shorter the line the less of your precious time you will lose. Its hard to tell how long the line is as its set up "Disney style" with covered corridors, corners etc that you cannot see around. Theres sometimes a board with a waiting time indicator. The Prisons of War walk around exhibit is interesting and well planned as it has "sounds" etc in it. I recommend that too.http://www.historic-scotland.gov.uk/index/properties/visiting/edinburghcastlehighlights.htm

And I know your time is limited and theres much to see, but one attraction I can recommend is The Real Mary Kings Close. Theres a link to it it from this link. It regularly sells out and you should book this ahead of time. Theres only a tel no on the contact us/tickets section, but if you use the site map theres an email address (on disclosures) which you could try as you are overseas. Otherwise, tel. Theres also more info on the attraction on the site map, such as characters etc. http://www.edinburghfestivals.co.uk/cityguide.cfm?vid=1803 There are several underground Edin attractions, but in our opinion this is probably the best. And its on the Royal Mile across from St Giles Cathedral so easy for you to find.

The People Story Edinburgh. http://www.gnws.co.uk/edinburgh/peoples_story.htm This is a good museum to visit as it has lots of "sounds" (voices etc) It is fun and interesting. Another personal recommendation. Again, its on the Royal Mile so its not a diversion. Its further down on the left as you walk downhill, right next to Canongate Kirk. Immediately before the Kirk so if you arrive at the Kirk having missed it, take a few steps back. By this time you will be exhausted. Theres few places to sit on the Royal Mile. If the seats in front of the kirk are occupied, almost immediately after Canongate Kirk, look for a passage on your left. It is signposted Dunbars Close. http://www.edinburgh-royalmile.com/closes/close-dunbars.html Our kids used to call it the secret garden. Only steps from the Royal Mile its usually a quiet peaceful spot to sit and rest far from the madding crowd. This is helpful too.http://www.edinburgh-royalmile.com/onroyalmile.html

Enjoy Edinburgh. Its a wonderful city.

Thanks Edinburgher! The links are great. I really appreciate your advise on the castle and the warning about the crowds. One of the links you've proivided has a photo of an event taking place right on High Street as part of the Fringe Festival, crowds & all! As it is said, a picture tells a thousand words.....

• 11 months later...

Well, haggis just isn't the same in the USA, so we booked another cruise to the British Isles for next summer. We we're planning to come back sooner, but had to cancel our Spring trip due to another death in the family:( .

But, back to happy things!! It won't be my birthday this time, but who needs an excuse to over eat:D !

Hi There,

Did try and get Princess to serve haggis on my last trip to Greenock but they were not up to it, will try and see if they will serve haggis when in Edinburgh.

As to deep fried haggis sorry to say its OK after a few beers on a cold wet night, but not for a first time haggis eater,

find a quality hotel on burns night and enjoy all that such an evening has to offer,

many years ago I was a guest at the RAC club in Glasgow on such a night, with piper, toast and loads of wiskey.

yours Shogun

Hi Bankofdad,

Nice to see you are making arrangements for your return trip. Won't be like the last one mind you, now that you know the area.

What will you be wearing on formal nights????

Best wishes,

Mary and Jimmy

Hi Bankofdad,

Nice to see you are making arrangements for your return trip. Won't be like the last one mind you, now that you know the area.

What will you be wearing on formal nights????

Best wishes,

Mary and Jimmy

Hi Mary & Jimmy!

We've still so much to see in Scotland that our excitment is even at a greater level than before. I'm very drawn to the country and it's people and sooner (than later) look to take an extended land vacation there as well.

I plan to wear a kilt for formal night, though I'll have to reorder mine. The one I ordered during my last visit from Geoeffry Tailor and had delivered to me in late October had a different use...

This is something I wrote in an email to Scottie around Christmas time this past year. He was going to post it at CruiseCritic.com, but opted not to out of respect for my privacy. Here is also a link about my son as well http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061109/REPOSITORY/611090327/0/LIVING02

Here's what I wrote:

Hi Matt,

It's very nice to hear from you. I hope you and yours have a blessed Christmas and a healthy and happy New Year's.

Thank you very much for sending the roses. They were beautiful. I have been meaning to write a note of thanks to you. I'm really sorry I took so long to do so. I particularly appreciate the kind words that you had written in your card.

As you know, it's been very difficult for me since Ryan passed away November 7th. One comfort I do know, after seeing him, is that he lost his earthly life instantly, and did not suffer. Being his father, I was allowed to see him, but the services were all closed casket because of the nature of his wounds. He was buried with his Marine Corps dress uniform on his upper half, and his Scottish kilt on the lower (this is the one I had been fitted for in Edinburgh this past summer, and it arrived about two weeks prior to his death). In addition to his funeral service being done with full military honors, a lone bagpiper played Amazing Grace at the funeral. It was all very moving.

Each day does get a little better, and Christmas is a time to rejoice and praise the birth of our Savior. Without that faith in Jesus, this time would have been exponentially more difficult.

Again, thank you so very much. I hope you enjoy the holidays with many family and friends around you!

Sincerely,

Tom

Tom,

Please accept Mary and I's deepest condolences with the death of you son Ryan. To lose a son must be a terrible thing, but to lose one so young in life, must be a dreadful ordeal for you and your family.

I will pass on this sad news to our little group of 'Golden Idols' that I am still in contact with.

Once again, our deepest condolences,

Mary and Jimmy

Tom & family,

I can't even begin to comprehend your loss and therefore won't even try. There can surely be nothing worse than to lose a child. You must all be, quite simply, heartbroken. Sending my love and condolences.

Laura (ourLOL) ~ Golden Idol

Archived