HEADS UP Travel Channel Wednesday Nite "Safe at Sea"

JunPOA

Just an FYI to alert you'll whats up on the media this week concerning cruises.

The cable channel "Travel Channel" is airing a segment titled:

"Travel Advisory: Safe at Sea" scheduled for Wednesday May 17 @ 8pm & 11pm EDST and May 21 @ 2am EDST.

"Safe at Sea recounts the recent stories of the harrowing, life-threatening and sometimes deadly events that have happened on cruise ships.Safe at Sea recounts the recent stories of the harrowing, life-threatening and sometimes deadly events that have happened on cruise ships."

My only intent here is to disemminate the information, I have no idea what content will be presented. This info was copied purely from the Travel Channel website. Cruises have been in the news a lot lately as you ma have noticed, although nothing negative of NCL. The Fox News Channel Greta Van Sustren does a lot of coverage and follow-up as does Bill O'Reiily of the cases of 1.) RRCL mysterious death of the newlywed man, 2.) and the Carnival Cruiseline case of the overboard 15 year-old Irish girl under age teen who was served alcohol to the brink of intoxication fell overboard, and lost her life. :mad:

I hate these shows (although I will watch, of course :p ), because they always slant the stories to make it seem like it's not safe to be on a cruise ship - and that's just not true. In the majority of these so-called "mysterious" cruise ship deaths, excess consumption of alcohol was involved and likely played a part. The case of the 15 y.o. is very sad and certainly the employees who served her should be charged, but where were her parents while all this was happening? Didn't they think to check on her at some point in the evening?

OK my curiosity is kiling me $40 cruiser. RE: the RCCL newlywed death,

With all due respect, What is the credible source and what is the factual evidence that the "SOB deserved it and had built himself quite a reputation". Where did you hear these facts? Or is it anecdotal?:)

• Administrators

As an FYI: our Editor, Carolyn Spencer Brown was interviewed for this show and she's been told she's "on".

Don't miss it!

Laura

I love all of these negative reports!! I don't watch them myself but if they keep others from cruising it keeps the prices down for the rest of us who know that the reports are all media bs!

I love all of these negative reports!! I don't watch them myself but if they keep others from cruising it keeps the prices down for the rest of us who know that the reports are all media bs!

LOL

- you and I think somewhat alike.

-Monte

I agree with momofmab. The parents should have been aware of the 15 year old drinking if that was the case. I am a parent who has gone on many cruises and took our teens on the last one. My son was told when to check in and believe me he did everytime. Just because you are own vacation and cruises does not mean you don't keep in touch with what you kids are up to. A 15 year old dieing is terrible anyone involved should be held accoutable for serving them the booze. I find it very safe to cruise and would not watch this show because one will never know the real truth about what happens and most is just speculation and a news station trying to get ratings.......

And now the remake of the Posiden Adventure is coming out now. When the director of the movie ask if he would go on a cruise ship his reply was he would rather be on a small boat with a fisherman. I hope they don't run this movie on our Dec 3rd Cruise. Last time we were on a cruise ship they ran Pirates of the Caribbean!

Well it's the Travel Channel, and when we cruise we travel. All in all, I thought it was a more a true crime episode rather than a travel program. I did feel that NCL wasn't a target, but RCCL and Carnival were sort of in the crosshairs!:eek:

Saw the show tonight (too many commercials) and thought they did a balanced job. Carolyn of cruisecritic made a good contribution to the program. The incidents featured should be viewed in the context of the percentage of incidents in relation to the millions of annual cruise passengers. They gave some good advice on remaining safe at sea.

I thought this show was nuts. As a former employee of the advertising agency that represents Royal/Celebrity I can tell you they will be up in arms. RCCL spends millions of dollars on The Travel Channel... you will even see special shows featuring a RCCL ship... that's just the added value RCCL gets from making such a large media buy.

The Travel Channel is funded by so many cruise advertisers I am really surprised they put that on. Did you notice how every segment ended with a positive spin on crusing? Like, "our cabin caught on fire but we still think cruising is great." That was probably The Travel Channel's way of smoothing things over. I'm very surprised!

I hate these shows (although I will watch, of course :p ), because they always slant the stories to make it seem like it's not safe to be on a cruise ship - and that's just not true. In the majority of these so-called "mysterious" cruise ship deaths, excess consumption of alcohol was involved and likely played a part. The case of the 15 y.o. is very sad and certainly the employees who served her should be charged, but where were her parents while all this was happening? Didn't they think to check on her at some point in the evening?

I don't agree with your view on this matter in the least. I watched this segment and IMO I thought the Travel Channel to be well rounded in presenting their information. Is there a website with supporting facts pertaining to your statement, and I'll quote: "because they always slant the stories to make it seem like it's not safe-and it's just not true." Not At any time in the duration of this one hour special did I see any edivence that the Discovery Channel focuse or stated that cruise ships are not safe. In Fact they were sure to end each negative fact with positive statement from the victims involved. Would you be so kind in sharing the link with supporting facts to one of your more tasteless comments? I'll quote: "The Marjority of "so called" mysterious cruise ship deaths,excess consumption of alcohol was involved and likely played a part in it."

To even refer to these deaths as "so called" is adding injury to insult. What a cold and callous assessment of unsuported Facts. Discover Channel was merely reporting what HAS occured during certain cruises.

The special even began with a positive remark: "Cruiseing is one of the most popular vacations around." It ended on a positive note: "The cruise industry's safety & security record is excellent & outstanding, you are virtually safer on a cruise ship than you are in any community in this country" to quote another: " Cruising is the highest rated crusing expierence" another: "People walk off a cruise ship very very satisfied, the great majority"

I enjoyed watching the "Safty at Sea" special. Very well organized and sympathatic in presenting situations that did occur. They also gave a few tips on how to stay safe on a cruise ship. So IMO this program did noting to warrant any negative reviews. They mere televised what did happed. I believe this will help future cruisers to very careful and less carefree when on a cruise. This method of commonsense would be an asset to anyone on vacation (not only cruise ships):)

well we only watched the last 10 minutes so will watch the rest in about 1/2 hour when it's repeated. I really feel sorry for RCI, it seems they are getting the bunt of everything lately. NMNita

I watched this program in its entierty, and didn't notice where RCI was getting the brunt of anything. In fact there seemed be no cruiseline bashing at all. Yes the program did show different cruise ships at different times, because they were showcasing them. After all the program was about cruise ships. Though said nothing negative concerning them at any time. This special was a mere coverage of some unfortunate things that have occured while cruising. It ended on a very positive note giving the cruise industry high praise! :)

I thought this show was nuts. As a former employee of the advertising agency that represents Royal/Celebrity I can tell you they will be up in arms. RCCL spends millions of dollars on The Travel Channel... you will even see special shows featuring a RCCL ship... that's just the added value RCCL gets from making such a large media buy.

The Travel Channel is funded by so many cruise advertisers I am really surprised they put that on. Did you notice how every segment ended with a positive spin on crusing? Like, "our cabin caught on fire but we still think cruising is great." That was probably The Travel Channel's way of smoothing things over. I'm very surprised!

I did not find this true at all... the only ship mentioned was the "pirated" ship of Seabourn. Ships of all lines were shown and if anything saw more Princess than any other. I only recall seeing one Celebrity ship in the whole production.

I did not find this true at all... the only ship mentioned was the "pirated" ship of Seabourn. Ships of all lines were shown and if anything saw more Princess than any other. I only recall seeing one Celebrity ship in the whole production.

I am saying from an industry point of view... big no-no with their advertisers.

They may have a new one to add to the list. I just read that someone is unaccounted for on a RCL trip from Port Canaveral to Grand Bahamas.

More bad press.....

hey kevin! Yes it was another tragedy.....this young man was from a neighboring town. I see where this morning they said that they called off the search and that they saw from security cameras he went overboard at about 2;16am and he was alone at the time. so sad and no one will ever know how and why it happened.

hey kevin! Yes it was another tragedy.....this young man was from a neighboring town. I see where this morning they said that they called off the search and that they saw from security cameras he went overboard at about 2;16am and he was alone at the time. so sad and no one will ever know how and why it happened.

That is very sad. I saw that on the news. It's always sad when something like that happens.

I watched the show on the Travel Channel and found it to be very interesting, but most of the things I had already read about. I wonder what it's going to take to stop all this from happening.

Archived