Perscription Drugs

O.K. an example to close the subject. Today, 6/26/2006, talk show host Rush Limbaugh was detained today at Miami airport for having prescription drugs in his luggage. Limbaugh was carrying the drugs in a bottle without his name and after further investigation; it was found he had no prescription for the drug. Although these were arrest able offensives, Limbaugh was let go after a three hour hold.

Rumor has it he was on his way to meet Bill O'Reilly. ;)

Having over 40 years of international travel behind me by almost all forms of transport and all kinds of border frontier crossings, I have never been asked anything at all about any prescription medications.

That said, there are never any guarantees. I carry in my wallet (along with a copy of the data page of my Passport) a small list of each medication along with a USP description (provided by my MD) that will help a physician who may need to help me in a situation where I can't communicate.

Frankly I didn't even remember the "original container" rule until this thread reminded me (I use a pill organizer). I think I'll order a batch of smallest sized labeled containers from my drug store and put a sample or two in each container (just in case) while still using the organizer.

Have your physician write you new prescriptions for your medications, in the quantity necessary to cover the length of your trip. You may want to ask for a day or two extra in case of emergencies. Take the new prescriptions to a local pharmacy and have them filled. You will have to pay for them out of pocket. Do not charge them to your insurance company, for that will throw your usual refills out of sinc. and/or the insurance company will not cover because they will have been filled too soon. Use these when away on your cruise.

rxralph

On the World Cruise in 2001 we sideswiped another ship at 3am. The sound for muster stations, you get up, get dressed, lifejacket and grab your money out of the safe. The passports were held at the front office.

I had my meds in the orig containers in the bathroom, didn't even think of them. Now I put a 7day supply in the safe with the money. With our situation we could have been put ashore for quite a while. Now I know I'm good for at least a week.

Good idea about putting a small supply aside to grab in the case of an emergency exit from the ship.

As I wrote, I always have a pill box for both DH and myself in my purse (totebag) when we go ashore for just the day and it contains several days worth of our necessary meds.

Very informative thread. It is important to take labeled bottles for legal but also for identification in case of emergency. Many people take generic drugs which if not identified are almost impossible to identify. Also don't forget a list of all of the non-perscription you are taking.

Have your physician write you new prescriptions for your medications, in the quantity necessary to cover the length of your trip. You may want to ask for a day or two extra in case of emergencies. Take the new prescriptions to a local pharmacy and have them filled. You will have to pay for them out of pocket. Do not charge them to your insurance company, for that will throw your usual refills out of sinc. and/or the insurance company will not cover because they will have been filled too soon. Use these when away on your cruise.

rxralph

Our pharmacy gets us an extra 'vacation' refill for all our meds. The insurance co's will cover these ahead of time when the pharmacist designates that this is a refill which needs to be filled earlier than normal because patient will be out of town at the time of normal refill.

You don't have to go to the doc for new special prescriptions or pay out of pocket. Insurance will cover these because you are not getting more of any med than you should, you are just getting the next refill earlier than the normal date you would refill. We've done this under several insurance companies over the years and the pharmacists say it is standard procedure if you just ask for a 'vacation' refill.

Our insurance permits an 'early' for vacation refill three times a year.

They have never refused our pharmacist's request and probably would permit more if we needed it but that has always worked out fine for us.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS take prescripton meds in the original bottles. I have traveled all over the world and I HAVE seen folk stopped because they did NOT have the medicine in original containers.

Many of the countries have periodic "crackdowns on drugs" and YOU could make someone's quota. The least you will lose is your time while you are detained. You COULD end up in jail (in some unfortunate places) WITHOUT the medicine you need.

Imagine what would happen if they just confiscate the drugs and send you on you way. Yes, it probably won't happen to you---but, what if it does? Even 3 month supplies do not take that much space!!

I would add.... for those worried about having just receiving three months supply and hauling it along.... take what you need (plus continguency extra) in the original bottles and leave the other 2+months worth at home. ;) Then you do not have to worry about lugging along the extra weight or losing three months supply. :)

Archived