Perscription Drugs

I have yet to cruise with HAL, my 1st HAL cruise will be in November, but I have never brought my drugs in the original bottles. I also use a daily dispenser. However I always take at least 4 or 5 additional days worth of medicine with me just in case something were to prolong my trip. You never know. It is a good idea to have everything written down as to what the drug is and is dosage and placed in your luggage though so it can speak if you can't. I guess to be sure you should check with CS but I really don't know how they would know if you carried medicine.:confused:

I think one of the reasons they request this is that if there were a medical emergency, it would be easy for medical staff to know what meds/dosages the patients was on.

My husband takes a few meds, and he always packs his in those weekly dispenser containers. But he always packs one extra week's worth in a separate container in case something were to happen to the other one. And always keep it on your person in a carry-on; don't ever put your meds in checked luggage in case your luggage is lost.

It's also a good idea to write down all your meds with the correct strength and dosing information and keep it in your wallet. You'd be surprised how many people don't know the name of their med or what the strength is.

We take prescription medicine in the original container. I think laws in some places may require this. Also, if the medicine is in the original container it will have information on the label that might be needed in an emergency. We also make it a practice when traveling to carry over-the-counter medicines in the original container.

You might check with a pharmacist on this.

It's also critical if the drug you are taking is one that can be abused and sold on the black market. Having the original bottles proves that you can legally posses the drugs. We always carry our original bottles. Can you possibly cut the labels off the bottles? I'm not sure but that may be an alternative. Even a statement from your doctor may suffice.

Enjoy your cruise!

Blessings!

I always bring our Rx drugs in pharmacy bottles. My pharmacist provides manageable size bottles for us. Perhaps yours will put yours in small bottles for travel?

I bring our daily/weekly pill holders and fill them when we arrive on the ship.

Since I too get my meds in 3 month increments by mail and some of them are very valuable on the street, I do not care to carry that large a supply. By my calculations I will have a fresh 3 month supply just before I sail. My doctors have agreed to give me a letter on their letter heads with a statement that these are my legitimately prescribed meds. Takes up much less space.

My insurance has a strong incentive to go through the mail process. One month supply of one med from my local pharmacy with "discounts" is $64. By mail it is $35 for 3 months. I can take a hint.

Since I too get my meds in 3 month increments by mail and some of them are very valuable on the street,

This is why the cops like to see prescription medicine in the original container.

It's hard to tell what some of the pills are without looking at the pills in the bottle, just a letter won't do that.

Virgil

Since I too get my meds in 3 month increments by mail and some of them are very valuable on the street, I do not care to carry that large a supply. By my calculations I will have a fresh 3 month supply just before I sail. My doctors have agreed to give me a letter on their letter heads with a statement that these are my legitimately prescribed meds. Takes up much less space.

My insurance has a strong incentive to go through the mail process. One month supply of one med from my local pharmacy with "discounts" is $64. By mail it is $35 for 3 months. I can take a hint.

This is exactly the same with me. That's the reason I don't want to carry those big bottles!!! I will try to get a letter from my doctor. The advice about taking extra is good. I never thought of that!! The mail phatmacy would not send small bottles and probably doesn't even have them since they only dispense in 3 month quantities. Thanks for all the advice!!! It's just two more weeks and I am getting excited!!! Haven't cruised since 1999!!

DH has many prescriptions. We also get 90 day supplies (soon to change) and I always have the drug store put them in several small bottles - they know we travel a lot. It has never been a problem getting the smaller bottles. It is always wise to keep your prescriptions in their original bottles just incase anyone questions what the pills are.

We must receive our meds in those 3 months bottles by mail. We cannot use the local pharmacy for recurring perscriptions on our insurance.

I'll bet you can contact the pharmacy by phone or email and ask them to send or FAX you a printout (Official -:) ) of all your perscriptions. That might alleviate any questions as well as eliminating the need to carry all those giant bottles.

Beth

It is always the best practice to have your prescriptions in their original containers. That way there's little question if they are examined for any reason.

One alternative would be to have your physician give you a new script to take with you. We always take our vision prescriptions with us because should something happen to our glasses it would make it much easier/faster to get them replaced. Maybe if you had the Rx from your doctor that would satisfy the authorities. I don't know ... just a thought. But if something happened to your meds (like you dropped them in the bath water) having a script might facilitate getting them replaced while you're away.

Jim,

That's a good idea about the optical perscription. I do that, too.

If the pharmaceutical perscription is a controlled substance, it may be impossible to get a second 'script. If the medicine is that controlled, I myself would probably suck it up and haul the big three-month bottle. It is interesting that there is no way to look in the bottle and confirm that the contents match the label!

Beth

I am sure authorities that would be apt to be checking to be certain you are carrying the drug you claim it to be by Dr. Rx have access to PDR (Physician Desk Reference) and certainly internet sites and other books which picture exactly what a particular drug in whatever strength looks like. If this is what they do, they know what many of the controlled substances look like without needing reference materials.

Personally, in all of our (loades) of travel, I have never yet heard of anyone having difficulty traveling with their legitimately prescribed meds. It is always best for the reasons given to use the original bottles whenever possible.

Don't worry about it too much. The chance of your having a difficulty traveling with your prescribed meds is teeny, teeny tiny.

As others above have said, ALWAYS travel with more days of meds than you plan on needing. Too many variables can occur which may necessitate your having extra. When we leave the ship in port, I always bring a small pill case in my purse that holds 2 days worth of our absolutely necessary meds. Who knows what could happen ashore that would make us not get back to the ship. (Remember the pax in the Falkland Islands who had to stay ashore overnight due to seas being too rough to bring them back on tenders?) That is a time when I would have no Rx or original packaging to show authorities but none of them are controlled substances so I don't worry about that.

For those with 90 day mail order plans, you always get a sheet with counseling on taking the drug. This sheet usually has your name, name and dosage of drug, directions for taking drug, Dr's name, and refills remaining. Take a copy of this sheet with you.

For those with 90 day mail order plans, you always get a sheet with counseling on taking the drug. This sheet usually has your name, name and dosage of drug, directions for taking drug, Dr's name, and refills remaining. Take a copy of this sheet with you.

I get my meds from VA in 90 day supply and large bottles, but the VA supplys a copy of the lable and a info sheet per script, I take all 3 with me.

I don't wish to get stopped in some podunk checkpoint for any amount of time while it is checked out.

better safe(and quick) than sorry.

Virgil

ALWAYS, ALWAYS take prescripton meds in the original bottles. I have traveled all over the world and I HAVE seen folk stopped because they did NOT have the medicine in original containers.

Many of the countries have periodic "crackdowns on drugs" and YOU could make someone's quota.

The least you will lose is your time while you are detained. You COULD end up in jail (in some unfortunate places) WITHOUT the medicine you need.

Imagine what would happen if they just confiscate the drugs and send you on you way.

Yes, it probably won't happen to you---but, what if it does?

Even 3 month supplies do not take that much space!!

• 1 month later...

O.K. an example to close the subject. Today, 6/26/2006, talk show host Rush Limbaugh was detained today at Miami airport for having prescription drugs in his luggage. Limbaugh was carrying the drugs in a bottle without his name and after further investigation; it was found he had no prescription for the drug. Although these were arrest able offensives, Limbaugh was let go after a three hour hold.

Anything that doesn't kill you, just hurts a hell of a lot

Sea Princess

Star Princess

Carnival Pride

Diamond Princess

Sapphire Princess

What good ideas on this post! One more thought--when we travel we each carry a supply of the really essential meds--"just in case".

I have never thought to bring a couple of days' supply on shore excursions but what a great idea!! Here,I always keep a couple of pills for my husband in my purse in case we are away from home at dose time but never thought about bringing them on shore ex that were scheduled to get back in time to take them.

Thanks for the hints!!!

I think I just wrote a reply and forgot to submit it. if it's a duplicate, I apologise.

Wonderful ideas in these posts. One more thought---my husband and I each carry a supply of the essential meds when we travel--just in case...

Thanks for all the good ideas!!

We also have a mail in pharmacy that sends a 90 day supply. I called them and asked if they would please send labeled, smaller bottle for travel.

They did not , but sent duplicate labeled bottles so that I could at least carry a smaller number of pills than a 90 day supply.

If you use such things as the seven day pill holders, I would feel safe putting your pills into those holders as long as you BRING THOSE LABELS you received from your 90 supply pharmacy. If you have the labels with you, it is proof they have been prescribed for you.

The authorities are well aware that a great many people get their prescribed meds in 90 day supplies and that it is impractical to travel with such large bottles.

They know (can easily find out) what most of the common meds look like. The internet has loads of sites that picture and describe each tablet,capsule etc

Bring the pharmacy labels.

Archived