hotel in London-cruise from Dover

I know I have almost a year but I'm doing some research on hotels in London - we'll be staying 2 nights before we leave on a Scandanavian cruise out of Dover in May 2007. Hotels are quite pricey plus I can't figure out which section of town would be the best to stay in. Seems like the tourist attractions are scattered througout the city. Also, if you have stayed in London and sailed out of Dover, how did you get there? Did you use the train or cruise transportation? Was there anything worth seeing in Dover? We're going on a Celebrity cruise.

Okay, assuming your flight arrives in the early morning hours, you'll probably wind up at your hotel around 930am or thereabouts.

Best thing to do (if your room is ready) take a hot shower and a nap.

Then in the afternoon, do some sightseeing. Perhaps the Hop on Hop Off bus.

Dinner at the regular time, then beddy-bye.

Up early, breakfast and hit the sights you really want to see. We crammed in: London Museum, St Paul's, Tower of London (had lunch there), one pub stop, then on to Westminster Abbey, then the Food Halls at Harrods. Stayed in the Bayswater Section (Lancaster Gate).. between two tube stops. Did all our traveling on the tube. That was just one day of our 6 full days!

I have been most successful in having a room ready to check into upon morning arrival when booking my hotel through the airline I used. (Both Virgin and BA). Also did the LHR-Hotel transfer through the airline.

Now... down to Dover, we took the train.

having lived in London, I feel I can help you with your query.

You are correct in saying that hotel prices are expensive. In my opinion, the location of the hotel is important, as you don't want to end up in a scummy area.

Holiday inn express are very good value..and you know what you are going to get. At the end of the day, with all the attractions London has to offer, a clean bed and a clean bathroom are the priority.

There is a HIE in Pimlico, this is a VERY nice area, with Knightsbridge, Buckingham Palace and places you would like to go to all within striking distance.

The link to the booking website is:

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ex/925/en/availsearch?errorURL=/h/d/ex/925/en/home%3FquickResCache%3Dasd&availCheckCaching=n&_requestid=724981

or you could try www.ichotelsgroup.com, and search for london, and then pick the one in Pimlico. It is a bit more expensive than the other HI's..but I strongly suggest you pick this one over the others!

PLUS...Victoria train station,with services to Dover is a very short distance away. You can see the timetables at

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/JourneyPlanner.asp?&T2ID=1145_2006518214219

and plan your journey. Its Dover Court Station that you are after.

Fortnums and Mason's on Piccadilly is lovely for afternoon tea and a look round. Its smaller and less crass than Harrods And then theres Liberty's ( fantastic) and Harvey Nichols, and covent garden. The Natural History Museum is fantastic too, and theres Chinatown,...and heaps of theatres.

Hope this helps, and let me know if theres any thing else.

Now have got to sort out my dilemma of parking in Fort Lauderdale and car hire and hotels for 5.

regards,

Bigdasher

Well, that is a lot of information - and from an "insider" - thanks so much Bigdasher - I'll check out the hotel. At least I have someplace to start. There are so many things that I want to see in London, we're never going to do it in 2 days.

I live outside of Fort Lauderdale - a good place to park at the port is Park n Fly (parking for airport there too). Its safe, their shuttle bus takes you right to the ship - when you return, you call their number and they are there within a few minutes since they are located right outside the port. Check them out at http://www.pnf.com/ftlauderdale/default.htm

FTLcruiser

I know I have almost a year but I'm doing some research on hotels in London - we'll be staying 2 nights before we leave on a Scandanavian cruise out of Dover in May 2007. Hotels are quite pricey plus I can't figure out which section of town would be the best to stay in. Seems like the tourist attractions are scattered througout the city. Also, if you have stayed in London and sailed out of Dover, how did you get there? Did you use the train or cruise transportation? Was there anything worth seeing in Dover? We're going on a Celebrity cruise.

Check out the Best Western Mostyn in Bryant Street; it's 2 minutes from Oxford St, 2 minutes from Marble Arch tube, very near Hyde Park, and not horribly expensive. Get a room at the back away from the noise.

Wherever you decide to stay, strongly recommend you check it on tripadvisor first.

Mary

Try the County Hall Travel Inn- it's a well kept secret....shhh.

Rates are usually great,it's right next to the London Eye and a short walk from most major attractions/shopping/theatres:) ...

For Bigdasher- if you start a thread on this board with the subject 'Question for Bequia" she will answer all your questions re Fort Lauderdale- hotels/parking/where to go-not go. Great source of info....

bigdasher -

For your Ft Lauderdale cruise, check out the Embassy Suites holds up to 6 with cooked breakfast and manger's drink special with shuttle to pier and Amerisuites, also holds up to 6 with cooked breakfast and shuttle from airport/hotel, hotel/pier Both near shopping plaza and restaurants. Amerisuites is changing hands to Hyatt Place sometime soon. It is cheaper to make a cancellable reservation through http://www.valuetrips.com for Amerisuites.

Now back to a hotel in London. What is the best way to get from London Airport to a hotel in London.

I was unaware that, as Bigdasher states, trains go to Dover from Victoria Station. I do know, however, that trains do go to Dover from Waterloo East Station. We took one in September, 2004. Check it out on nationalrail.

I believe planes from the U.S. fly into both Heathrow and Gatwick. This was some years ago, but we have flown into and out of Gatwick on American Airlines from the U.S.

I believe trains from Gatwick go to Victoria Station and trains from Heathrow go to Paddington Station. You can check that also. We like the Gloucester Street area where there are several hotels, including a Holiday Inn and two Millenniums. The Museum of Natural History is Three blocks away. as is The Victoria and Albert Museum. The Underground station there is also great, with three lines. One, Piccadilly, goes directly to the theater district. It is ,however, somewhat removed from Waterloo.

Bob :p

I just learned something. Trains do indeed go direct from Victoria Station to Dover. They also go from Charing Cross before getting to Waterloo East. I west to Waterloo from close to Heathrow, and then changed to Waterloo East.

Now have got to sort out my dilemma of parking in Fort Lauderdale and car hire and hotels for 5.

regards,

Bigdasher

Could you expand on your parking dilemma? Is this for a place to leave a car during a cruise? ParkNFly has some special rates with shuttle to/from the port.

Phabric- from Heathrow you can get on the Heathrow Express train which will take you in 15 mins to Paddington Station ( for about $25) which is close to the West End and convenient for hotels/shopping/entertainment. Go by taxi from there to your hotel.

There are cheaper alternatives- National Express bus service takes about an hour and runs hourly. The tube (underground) is about $4 but time consuming and difficult with luggage.

Of course if money's no object you can get a taxi from Heathrow but expect to pay about $100+

We live in London and on the Galt - Ft.L Beach.

I heard that the Cumberland at Marble Arch is giving 'good deals'. Newly renovated, now very modern and unbeatable location - give it a try. Hilton Metropole on Edgware Road is OK. Millenium Mayfair - great up-market location.

You can get the train to Dover - we always do that - from Victoria Station. When you get to the station, make sure you have one pound coins for the luggage carts!!! This is refundable! You then get a taxi (I think now £10) to the ship. Sometimes you have to cross a small bridge at the station - look for the elevators!! Honestly, not a problem - just watch your luggage on the train when you get to the stations on the way. Don't want anyone to pick up one of your cases 'by mistake'!!!!

Archived