Port of Messina

Argus Rentals is across the street from the pier. However, Argus is a consolidator, rather than a rental company so they don't have a big sign, counter etc. They are actually an Irish company, and I found their phone customer service to be quite good.

If you search back to March, we had a long discussion on renting in Messina. Tips include knowing how to use a clutch on a up hill in urban traffic conditions. You will face this challenge almost at once when you leave the car pick up.

I have done it sucessfully twice, but its not the time to be learning how to drive a clutch! Automatics are not "automatic" when you rent in Italy, and in most cases you pay a steep premium.

One problem with car rentals on Saturday is that the rental agencies may shut at noon or shortly thereafter, and may not be open at all on Sunday. This effectively prevented me from renting recently.

• 1 year later...

I've just read this topic, and I disagree with who say that in Messina there is nothing to do!:mad:

There is a beautiful museum with works of Caravaggio and Antonello da Messina. There are a lot of historic churches, like the Duomo, the Montalto church, the Cristo Re Sanctuary and Santa Maria Alemanna church. There are also a lot of sand beaches in the north side of the town, two beautiful lakes and the amazing panorama of the Strait of Messina.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
$50 USD is great!! But we are 8 and it seems all the cars are tiny!! Maybe there is public transportation?

have you found any infor of how to get between port of messina into

taormina???

am arriving by cruise boat on the 9th september into messina

want to do taormina on my own....

any suggestions

have you found any infor of how to get between port of messina into

taormina???

am arriving by cruise boat on the 9th september into messina

want to do taormina on my own....

any suggestions

Check the Italty forum. You will find alot on Messina and Taormina.

Sicily is part of Italy. :)

• 7 months later...
We just came back from a cruise on the Liberty and there is nothing to do at Messina. We went to the local bus and train terminal and rode a bus to Taormina about 1 1/2 hours. Seeing to countryside and the ride up to Taormina made the trip great. Interbus is the name of the bus company. Get to the terminal early so you can spend more time at Taormina. The bus will take up to the town, the train will not. Roundtrip cost us about 5.5 euros per person. If you decide you can take a bus down to the train station(same fare) and come back on the train. carraizo99@yahoo.com

Thank you for this awesome info! what was the bus experience like? is it comparable to our greyhound bus here or more of a school bus? I’m sorry if that sounds like a silly question this is very new to me. Also was station far from the port? ;)

Edited by mmento

We went to Messina in Oct. 2004. In the morning we walked down to the little museum they have (approximately 1.5 miles from where the ship docked) and than back to the Duomo to see the astronomical clock in the bell tower at noon. We took an afternoon ships tour to Taormina to see the Amphitheatre. It was a fun day, one of my most enjoyable days on our cruise.

Julie

How was the weather in October? Is it still hot enough to visit a beach?

Thank you for this awesome info! what was the bus experience like? is it comparable to our greyhound bus here or more of a school bus? I’m sorry if that sounds like a silly question this is very new to me. Also was station far from the port? ;)

You are quoting someone who posted in June 2006.....they probably will not respond to your question....... you might want to start a new thread asking about the bus ......just a suggestion as this is a very old thread.

We walked around for 2 hours looking for a restaurant with outside seating thinking we would go see the clock at 12 then go for a lovely lubch. The clock was excellent and worth seeing but we never found a restaurant. A few coffee shops with 2 or 3 tables but nothing else. There was one place next to the clock but the food choice was tiny, the tables unclean and drinks prices ridiculous. When the concierge told us to get off see the clock and get back on I thought he was joking. Turns out he wasn't. Those that went to Taormina had a great day and I wished we had done it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...