Any talk of RCI offering Anytime Dining?

Just lurking around a little, thinking of doing a RCI cruise next year and came upon this interesting subject. Just to clarify some things, Princess does have a triditional dining room with 2 different time seatings. They also have 2 Any Time dining rooms, which we enjoyed because of not having to do the big hustle when coming back from an excursion. We (6 of us) usually ate around 7:30/8:00 with never a wait time with the exception of the first formal night (only a 10 min. wait.) People who have triditional seating can also opt to use the Any Time dining rooms, but Any Time cannot use Triditional. Of course they have the pay restaurants plus other options. Formal night is formal throughout the ship except for those who chose to dine at the Horizon Court or room service. Just came back last week from a NCL Freestyle cruise :eek: Really don't want to say anymore about that! The thing with the Princess cruise is that everyone has an option. You can go triditional or dine whenever you please. When I go on vacation the one thing I really don't like is having to be at dinner at a certain time. Just my 2 cents. Thanks for listening!

To all the people reporting here about no waiting times or almost no waiting times with anytime dining I can only say I don´t buy it.

I´m sure it was your personal experience and in no way I´m saying you are lying but I say I don´t believe it´s the norm.

If they had their act together that good that there wouldn´t be any waiting to be seated they wouldn´t have beepers ready to inform people once their table is ready;) :rolleyes: .

Ouch! Nope, not lying! Perhaps some people requested a certain table or waiter and had to wait but honestly we didn't experience much of a wait (perhaps we were just lucky?) Please understand, personal choice is not for everyone, I just enjoy it because on vacation I try to get away from structure (too much in my everyday life!) Not saying RCI should change, I was just telling you about my experience. Didn't mean to offend!

I recently was on the HAL Rotterdam and I was really happy about the 4 times 6:00 upper early 6:30 lower early 8:00 upper late and 8:30 lower late. However, after choosing 8pm which I thought was a perfect improvement over the too late late dining option. The problem is that you get done 45 minutes before the show, which made it way too easy for me to go to bed instead of killing 45 minutes until the show starts. If I do HAL again, I will revert to the late lower 8:30 time. On our 16 day cruise we only went to the shows that were before dinner. It really is impossible to improve on traditional seating for most passengers, and yet everyone wants to have their fast food habits while on a cruise. I think the tradition and pomp of dining on a cruise ship to be one of the positive vacation aspects of a cruise.

jc

I'm not talking about the 4 dining times they have on most of their ships. I'm talking about the Leisure Dining concept that they've been trying out on the Oosterdam.

I'm not talking about the 4 dining times they have on most of their ships. I'm talking about the Leisure Dining concept that they've been trying out on the Oosterdam.

Not aware of that concept. Would you mind sharing how it works in theory and reality? I can only imagine what the HAL regulars think of any change from traditional they are much more demanding of HAL remaining traditional than the RCI folks!

jc

Just want to point out a fact about Freestyle on NCL that I think has been overlooked. IF you want traditional dining, (same table, same time, same waiter) all you need to do is tell the maitre' d in one of the traditional, no charge dining rooms and your wish will be granted. My last 3 cruises have been RCI/Celebrity and I have opted to eat dinner in the Windjammer/Chops/Portofino/Seaview Cafe. My days of traditional dining are over, so as long as there is an alternative, im a happy camper!:D I will have a few breakfasts and lunches in the dining room just to experience the room itself and to be waited on.;)

This is a great thread. We returned from 2 Princess Cruises in October on STAR and CARIBBEAN and I can tell you that Perosnal Choice Dining is NOT a wonderful thing. PC dining is a lot of chaos and 2nd rate service. PC dining is not the fine dining experience that traditional dining offers. It takes us at least 2 or 3 nights to find a good wait team and then you can only get them if you dine at 8:30 PM. Traditional Dining is booked 1 year ahead and can not be accessed by a first time Princess cruiser. Everyone we talked to had tried to get Traditional Dining but could not. When I saw hundreds of pax dining in the Cafe in their tuxedos...I knew that there was something wrong with Personal choice Dining. I could see lapses in service that would never occur with Tradition Dining...there seemed to be an attitude problem with many waiters...apathy and lack of enthusiasm. I truly believe that Personal Choice Dining will lead to lower standards in the dining room.

I would love to see a few more specialty restaurants but I have no interest in seeing Personal Choice on either RCI or Celebrity. Tradition is a good thing.

ROSS

This is a great thread. We returned from 2 Princess Cruises in October on STAR and CARIBBEAN and I can tell you that Perosnal Choice Dining is NOT a wonderful thing. PC dining is a lot of chaos and 2nd rate service. PC dining is not the fine dining experience that traditional dining offers. It takes us at least 2 or 3 nights to find a good wait team and then you can only get them if you dine at 8:30 PM. Traditional Dining is booked 1 year ahead and can not be accessed by a first time Princess cruiser. Everyone we talked to had tried to get Traditional Dining but could not. When I saw hundreds of pax dining in the Cafe in their tuxedos...I knew that there was something wrong with Personal choice Dining. I could see lapses in service that would never occur with Tradition Dining...there seemed to be an attitude problem with many waiters...apathy and lack of enthusiasm. I truly believe that Personal Choice Dining will lead to lower standards in the dining room.

I would love to see a few more specialty restaurants but I have no interest in seeing Personal Choice on either RCI or Celebrity. Tradition is a good thing.

ROSS

Hi Ross,

I knew you would feel like this:D

Ouch! Nope, not lying! Perhaps some people requested a certain table or waiter and had to wait but honestly we didn't experience much of a wait (perhaps we were just lucky?) Please understand, personal choice is not for everyone, I just enjoy it because on vacation I try to get away from structure (too much in my everyday life!) Not saying RCI should change, I was just telling you about my experience. Didn't mean to offend!

:o Clutterlady, I´m sorry if you took my post as directed to you. It was not!!!

If you reread my pist I said that I believe all the posts about short or no waittimes, but I just don´t buy that it´s the norm.

I didn´t feel offended a bit by your post, in fact I think we both agree. PC is not for everyone, it´s great Princess offers it but don´t want to see it on RCCL.

Just want to point out a fact about Freestyle on NCL that I think has been overlooked. IF you want traditional dining, (same table, same time, same waiter) all you need to do is tell the maitre' d in one of the traditional, no charge dining rooms and your wish will be granted. My last 3 cruises have been RCI/Celebrity and I have opted to eat dinner in the Windjammer/Chops/Portofino/Seaview Cafe. My days of traditional dining are over, so as long as there is an alternative, im a happy camper!:D I will have a few breakfasts and lunches in the dining room just to experience the room itself and to be waited on.;)

I have to disagree on this one. On my NCL cruise it was impossible !!!

I recently was on the HAL Rotterdam and I was really happy about the 4 times 6:00 upper early 6:30 lower early 8:00 upper late and 8:30 lower late. However, after choosing 8pm which I thought was a perfect improvement over the too late late dining option. The problem is that you get done 45 minutes before the show, which made it way too easy for me to go to bed instead of killing 45 minutes until the show starts. If I do HAL again, I will revert to the late lower 8:30 time. On our 16 day cruise we only went to the shows that were before dinner. It really is impossible to improve on traditional seating for most passengers, and yet everyone wants to have their fast food habits while on a cruise. I think the tradition and pomp of dining on a cruise ship to be one of the positive vacation aspects of a cruise.

jc

I actually think this sounds like a great idea. We would probably do the 6:30 or 8:00 if this was offered on RC. I like dressing for dinner, and we have had great tablemates.

Not aware of that concept. Would you mind sharing how it works in theory and reality? I can only imagine what the HAL regulars think of any change from traditional they are much more demanding of HAL remaining traditional than the RCI folks!

jc

From what I understand, you still have your set table and waiter, and you either have early or late seating. BUT, there is a window of say about an hour where you can arrive. So what that means is if somebody arrives at the beginning of the window and somebody else at your table arrives at a the end, one of you will be eating appetizers while the other eats their dessert. HAL says they expect tablemates to work out when they will all arrive so that nobody is eating at different times and that the maitre'ds will facilitate figuring out this scheduling. I may be understanding it completely wrong, but it's not for me IMO.

From what I understand, you still have your set table and waiter, and you either have early or late seating. BUT, there is a window of say about an hour where you can arrive. So what that means is if somebody arrives at the beginning of the window and somebody else at your table arrives at a the end, one of you will be eating appetizers while the other eats their dessert. HAL says they expect tablemates to work out when they will all arrive so that nobody is eating at different times and that the maitre'ds will facilitate figuring out this scheduling. I may be understanding it completely wrong, but it's not for me IMO.

I asked about it over at the HAL forum and it sounds like a potential disaster, trying to have 4 couples that don't know each other negotiating a dinner time. I think it would be great for a family or a group of friends. I could imagine a different couple on 4 different schedules.

As far as the way HAL does it on the other ships, it is ok because it provides flexibility without any cost. IE 4 times to eat instead of 2. I just don't like having a long delay after dinner until the show starts so, I would never book the early early or the early late again.

jc

This thread has certainly opened my eyes to the different dining options on the various cruise lines. I guess I just hadn't thought about it too much! It also is interesting to see people's views on those options.

As I get older I think I am becoming more of a non-conformist, and I am also willing to take more chances, and try new ideas. On every vacation we have taken in the last few years I have tried something new, waverunners, snorkeling (I can't swim well), etc. maybe next it will be anytime dining. ;) Trying something new isn't so bad, after all you are on vacation and it might be nice to go with the flow, and not be so regimented. It certainly is nice to see so many options.

I really love this thread. I'm enjoying see how different people are and once again realizing you can never please all the people all the time.

I always will opt for traditional dining. I would feel totally ripped off to be on a cruise line and handed a beeper when I went to the formal dining room. I like to know exactly when my dinner will be then I set my plans. If we are in port late or there is an activity I want to do late, I then decide between WJ, room service from the dining room menu, or the specialty restaurent. Most of this I'll do before the cruise. If something happens at the last minute, I'll live with it and miss my usual seating if necessary (this hasn't happened except for illness and a different time would not have helped). I'll give up that flexibility for the guarantee of walking into the dining room at my assigned time to my assigned table and tablemates. And never risk being given a beeper or having to experience a variety of servers/table locations/tablemates (I do realize some people love that variety, not me).

To be on a cruise and not be able to walk to my table at the appointed time or to be given a beeper even one night would be a disaster. If Princess or any cruise line can't guarantee up front my traditional dining option, they will not get my money. If they can guarantee me my choice, it's ok to offer other choices. If they ever don't deliver, I'll vote with my dollars.

Happy Cruizin' to all!

BUT Princess can and does guarantee Traditional Dining. I indicate what I want when I book the cruise, and I know right then and there if I am guaranteed it or waitlisted. Since I am an Elite Princess Captains Circle member, I am always guaranteed whatever option I want.

Joan

BUT Princess can and does guarantee Traditional Dining. I indicate what I want when I book the cruise, and I know right then and there if I am guaranteed it or waitlisted. Since I am an Elite Princess Captains Circle member, I am always guaranteed whatever option I want.

Joan

Hmmm. Then I wonder why other elite members post that they were stuck with anytime dining? And none of them want to be there?

Hey, PK thanks for telling me about the Princess traditional dining guarantee. I do plan to give Princess a shot out of Galveston next year. But they will have to guarantee traditiona dining before I give my cc when booking. Think they will do this for a normal Travelocity online booker? I've been on Princess twice long ago but I usually book online but to be sure to get my dining preference I guess I'll have to call someone. Otherwise I'll be booking on Voyager or the Conquest. Thanks!

Hey, PK thanks for telling me about the Princess traditional dining guarantee. I do plan to give Princess a shot out of Galveston next year. But they will have to guarantee traditiona dining before I give my cc when booking. Think they will do this for a normal Travelocity online booker? I've been on Princess twice long ago but I usually book online but to be sure to get my dining preference I guess I'll have to call someone. Otherwise I'll be booking on Voyager or the Conquest. Thanks!

Your best bet is to book now if you plan to sail in 2007. You will note in Philly's post that he is an elite passenger, and states that when he calls to book he finds out on the spot if he is guaranteed traditional or "waitlisted". Even elite passengers get waitlisted.

There are even postings on the Princess board that pax are confirmed in traditional. only to board and learn they've been bumped to anytime. So even if you are "guaranteed" traditional, unfortunately you may get bumped. Which would be a lot harder to take than never getting traditional in the first place.

My advice to you is to call Princess direct (1-800-PRINCES) and tell the reservations agent that you want guaranteed Traditional Dining. After your booking is made, you'll be able to check that you are guaranteed traditional in the online booking record, the Princess Personalizer.

TexasMom2: I have never been given any dining room assignment I did not request. I have never been waitlisted.

Joan

My advice to you is to call Princess direct (1-800-PRINCES) and tell the reservations agent that you want guaranteed Traditional Dining. After your booking is made, you'll be able to check that you are guaranteed traditional in the online booking record, the Princess Personalizer.

TexasMom2: I have never been given any dining room assignment I did not request. I have never been waitlisted.

Joan

You appear to be in the fortunate minority since people on the Princess board have many tales of being waitlisted and ending up being forced into anytime dining. If, in fact, they will guarantee elite members the seating they request, doesn't that imply that many if not most non-elite members are unlikely to have their request met?

I'm not going to cut and paste a bunch of posts, so here is just one (Cindy, if you're out there, hope you don't mind):

I'm a creature of habit, and I like late traditional dining. On our Grand cruise in March we somehow ended up in "Anytime Dining" even though we had been confirmed for late traditional since July of 2005. We got switched back, but it was a bit of a hassle and we had to eat in one of the PC dining rooms the first night. I didn't care for our waitress that night, and I didn't think the meal "flowed" as well as dinner in the traditional dining room. To be fair, I was irritated about the last minute switch and I was probably predisposed to find fault with anytime dining.

Archived