Formal night question

justn15

We leave in 4 days for our cruise and we were planning on for our formal nights just wearing dress shirts, pants, and ties. Someone told us that they might not let us in without a suit on or a sport coat is this true? 2 of us have them no problem but the other guy does not. Any help on this would be great, hopefully they will let us in without any coats just shirts and ties.

We leave in 4 days for our cruise and we were planning on for our formal nights just wearing dress shirts, pants, and ties. Someone told us that they might not let us in without a suit on or a sport coat is this true? 2 of us have them no problem but the other guy does not. Any help on this would be great, hopefully they will let us in without any coats just shirts and ties.

You will be fine:) Alot of the guys that wear jackets take them off once they sit down anyway;)

Have fun!

Worst-case scenario, they'll ask you to eat at the buffet. But that's highly unlikely if the men are simply without jackets, but otherwise well-dressed.

It is theoretically possible, though, that you get a hard-assed, take-no-prisoners, 'just-had-a-fight-with-the-Carnival-dancer-he's-dating', 'doesn't-ANYBODY-know-what-the-hell-'Formal'-means-anymore?', cranky maitre d', so...

I personally enjoy the formal nights. It's fun to get dressed up and have my hair done and all, however, I do understand some people (especially men) not wanting to wear a suit. I do feel it's also how your present yourself. If you are wearing a nice clean button down and a nice pair of dress pants and shoes, I really can't see it being a problem. On the other hand it would be nice to see everyone dressing formal, but your on vacation and you should be able to enjoy yourself. We are traveling with a large group and there is one guy who refuses to wear a suit on vacation and doesn't like having to carry a garment bag on top of all his luggage. What can ya say - I just hope he will find something that is dressy enough and that he will be comfortable wearing for the few hours ad enjoy a nice dinner.

P.S: Last years cruise - all men in our group were in a suit and tie (all but 1) 1 had a nice buttn down dress shirt and dress pants. They allowed him in and I thought he looked fine.

There is a formal dress code which I'm sure the OP has read. People with class, self respect, and respect for others honor the dress code. It does not matter if the enforcement is lax or strict. If you're a class act, you honor the code with self-enforcement. Lacking class, it matters little what anyone here says, they'll dress poorly as is their wont.

Dan

Why take a gamble on something really easy to do? They have lowered the requirements for men down to just any old Rodney Dangerfield Bright Orange/Lime Green Sport coat with mulit-colored tie and mulit-colored checkard pants will get you in (oh don't forget those yellow socks with golf casual shoes with tassles). It does vary from ship to ship and sometimes week to week so you are taking that gamble they will turn him away to the Grand Lido Buffet where other "do it my way" casual dressers will gather on formal night. Some by choice, some by force. Local Goodwill/Salvation Army charges about $5 for a sport coat and they'll throw in a tie for quarter.

Make all the excuses you want but it won't be about the money if they can afford hundreds for the cruise.

Is it out of the question to rent the tuxedos? It's fun! My fiance did it last year. I don't think he is this year though but then, I don't know because we haven't talked about it.

Just tell your friend to wear a tie or can one of y'all bring an extra jacket he can borrow just in case?

They have lowered the requirements for men down to just any old Rodney Dangerfield Bright Orange/Lime Green Sport coat with mulit-colored tie and mulit-colored checkard pants will get you in (oh don't forget those yellow socks with golf casual shoes with tassles).

You must have seen my formal portrait taken on our last cruise.....

I to worried about the jacket/suit issue for my husband..

I went to Goodwill and I went on a day where they had a sale..

Anything with an orange tag was discounted.. I got a top notch jacket for my hubby for fifty cents!!! yes two quarters...

I just say do not give up... you can get a jacket for less than a coke!!! :)

Have a great vacation!!!;)

...............not looking like you crawled out from under a rock!
Please, spare us the drama here, the OP stated "dress shirts, pants, and ties." They asked a valid question and some members have given a valid reply. Others seem to find that difficult to do w/o adding snide comments.

To the OP, you should be fine, but as others have posted there are some very inexpensive ways to buy a jacket/suit if desired.

John

One more thing, I would take the jackets but if your friend isn't going to feel out of place not having one, then don't worry about it :) As long as he has on nice pants, shirt and a tie there should be no issue whatsoever.

If he feels bad about it (and yes, some guys do -- my fiance hates when he's underdressed) then maybe y'all two can just not wear your jackets :)

Good luck! I'm sure y'all will look great!

I like the way Zydeco is thinking! Most guys are not going to keep the jackets on anyway, those jackets hit the back of the chair immediately after sitting at the table! Also, it is fun to be sneaky! hehe;)

Archived