Formal night question

justn15

We leave in 4 days for our cruise and we were planning on for our formal nights just wearing dress shirts, pants, and ties. Someone told us that they might not let us in without a suit on or a sport coat is this true? 2 of us have them no problem but the other guy does not. Any help on this would be great, hopefully they will let us in without any coats just shirts and ties.
Ignore the scare tactics and Salvation Army wisecracks and other insults - you will be fine.

Carnival Website (again!)

Is there a dress code for the dining room? Depending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

On formal night a coat is required. They probably won't enforce that and will let you in, but you won't be "fine". It's your call whether you want to go by the rules or not.

I'm not judging you. I smuggled alcohol on my first cruise. That's against the rules too.

The May 7-14 Miracle cruise, the folks at the table next to us who were ... um ... "style-challenged" ... she came in a skirt and blouse, he came in clean jeans [the oil-stained jeans and shorts he wore on the informal evenings were just too outre] and a shirt that actually had buttons.

While the rules say a jacket is required, if the guy shows up in a tie he's almost certain to be seated.

One suit, two shirts and two ties makes two formal nights easy.

We leave in 4 days for our cruise and we were planning on for our formal nights just wearing dress shirts, pants, and ties. Someone told us that they might not let us in without a suit on or a sport coat is this true? 2 of us have them no problem but the other guy does not. Any help on this would be great, hopefully they will let us in without any coats just shirts and ties.

What would you wear to a wedding? or a fancy restaurant? I don't think that the above description is suitable for either of these. So why would you wear it on FORMAL night?

Two jackets is plenty. Worst case - two go in and one comes out with two jackets. Two go in, double click done.

What if they're not the right size? The maitre d' won't let you in if your jacket is ill-fitting. No poly-wool blends either. Obviously.

Asking someone who doesn't own a sport coat and won't go to Goodwill on double nickel day to get one, I'd say renting a $100 tux for one night is pretty much out of the question wouldn't you say? I just live these fine folks here that say "ah go ahead and disrespect what the cruise line says and make your fellow guests feel out of place and do what you want" After all it's only Formal night! What could possbily be wrong with a nice yellow polo shirt and nice pair of pressed black jeans with my fancy Bill Blass sandels if I wear black socks with them? No we can't judge people here but we can sure make our private comments behind their backs on the cruise!

What if they're not the right size? The maitre d' won't let you in if your jacket is ill-fitting. No poly-wool blends either. Obviously.

Get one made out of spandex.

The rudeness of many posters continues to prove that fashion doesn't equal class.

Carnival Website (again!)

Is there a dress code for the dining room? Depending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

On formal night a coat is required. They probably won't enforce that and will let you in, but you won't be "fine". It's your call whether you want to go by the rules or not.

I'm not judging you. I smuggled alcohol on my first cruise. That's against the rules too.

From the Valor, once onboard - Suggested, not Requested, and certainly not Required.

9DaE38I3WQiC8G2TmrAuHmRzDL0upUPN0300.jpg

Yes it is rude to point out your rudeness. It is just a desparate measure trying to show you your rudeness. Alas it fails. you are completely rude, and don't seem to realize it, and seem to relish your rudeness. Case in point is pointing out the dress code is "suggested", those with manners and proper education know this DOES MEAN REQUIRED in polite circles. And while you may pick out a printing that does say suggested, others can find other printings that do say required. Both cannot be correct. The rule of thumb is to go with the more stringent. Of course, you don't like and will ignore that as well.

(the very rude)Dan

Yes it is rude to point out your rudeness. It is just a desparate measure trying to show you your rudeness. Alas it fails. you are completely rude, and don't seem to realize it, and seem to relish your rudeness. Case in point is pointing out the dress code is "suggested", those with manners and proper education know this DOES MEAN REQUIRED in polite circles. And while you may pick out a printing that does say suggested, others can find other printings that do say required. Both cannot be correct. The rule of thumb is to go with the more stringent. Of course, you don't like and will ignore that as well.

(the very rude)Dan

Uh Oh proper education:( now you have gone too far:(

Your rudeness is noted as is your incorrect interpretation of rules that don't exist. Your rudeness, however, is misdirected. If you need clarification of what isn't allowed, take it up with the cruise lines. Perhaps start with their Guest Relations department. I'm certain they will help you. ;)

If it's required, then they it should read required. But then what would we do for entertainment on cc:confused:

Also what's up with casual resort wear. Isn't that old school? In Calif. we call it smart casual wear;)

That's awesome! No wrinkling, so I could just roll it up and cram it into the suitcase!

Then I could un-roll it, and cram myself into it! :D

Appetites could be affected in the dining room that night!

Don't forget the best part -Honey, does this make me look fat?

If it's required, then they it should read required. But then what would we do for entertainment on cc:confused:

Also what's up with casual resort wear. Isn't that old school? In Calif. we call it smart casual wear;)

Old school is resort casual. Carnival even corrupted that to casual resort and watered down the meaning to meaningless. But it is a similar debate.

Geeez people.... GIVE IT A REST ALREADY!!!!

This nauseating topic has been around since the inception of Cruise Critic and it will never, ever, never be resolved!!

Go ahead and wear whatever the heck you want people.... jeans, tee shirt, no jacket, or even a tie.... show as little respect as possible for the "suggested" attire, because it as, after all, "yoooour vacaaaaaation (whine) and therefore you can do anything you want because it's obviously all about YOU!!

The cruiselines have made it very clear what is SUGGESTED to wear aboard the ship, and there is NO excuse (can't afford it, don't wanna, ain't gonna) to dress otherwise except for pure laziness and disrespect. :(

I went on the Elation and a tie and dress up shirt should be fine. I saw much worse allowed in the dinning room. I saw many men with-out tie's. So go for it!!! Have Fun on the Cruise thats all you should be concerned about!!!!:) :) :)

Geeez people.... GIVE IT A REST ALREADY!!!!

This nauseating topic has been around since the inception of Cruise Critic and it will never, ever, never be resolved!!

Go ahead and wear whatever the heck you want people.... jeans, tee shirt, no jacket, or even a tie.... show as little respect as possible for the "suggested" attire, because it as, after all, "yoooour vacaaaaaation (whine) and therefore you can do anything you want because it's obviously all about YOU!!

The cruiselines have made it very clear what is SUGGESTED to wear aboard the ship, and there is NO excuse (can't afford it, don't wanna, ain't gonna) to dress otherwise except for pure laziness and disrespect. :(

Hmmmmmmmmm.........would you like a little cheese with that:D

Archived