Do you know who Carolyn spencer Brown is?

Seabee

How long have I been posting here...several years anyway. I just watched a "new" cruise special (new because it included the Star Princess fire) on the Las Vegas Channel (aka Travel). One thing I found out was that Carolyn Spencer Brown is the editor of CruiseCritic.com. I guess I need to spend more time on the Home page and less on these boards...I always thought Laura was the head cheese in this rat trap.:D

PS Travel Channel followed up the cruise special with poker. What can you say?! Where's the remote!

FYI:

According to Yahoo.com, the program repeats:

Travel Advisory, TRAV May 17 11:00pm

Travel Advisory, TRAV May 21 02:00am

My TV guide confirms the first one. East Coast time. I'm not sure if the Travel Channel has multiple time zone feeds.

Theron

I have had the pleasure to meet Carolyn on a cruise several years ago. She's a great lady....you would all enjoy getting to know her very much!

Laura trys to keep all of us here on the boards in order. ;)

My wife and I watched the show last evening, and we both thought it was rediculous. All it seemed to be was blame the cruiselines. :rolleyes:

Hal

Not only this , but cruise lines might even sue them. They told a story about one cruise line , but showed another. ( For example, story about person,missing on Alaska cruise. It was on Mercury!!!)

My wife and I watched the show last evening, and we both thought it was rediculous. All it seemed to be was blame the cruiselines. :rolleyes:

Hal

Really, I thought the opposite. I was impressed that most of the commentary and even the passengers giving their accounts of what happened praised the captain/staff/cruise line with handling the situations well.

The only segment I thought blamed the cruise lines was the women who went missing in Alaska. But I must say IF the events played out like what was described then the cruise line didn't act as it should have. I do realize that we only heard one side of that story so I won't make any judgments.

• Administrators
T

There is more to cruise critic than just the boards.

Yes, there really is...take a look!!!

I saw the show last night and noticed that often they were talking about one ship and showing another. They showed blurry video survailance segments and they showed the what the fire did to the Princess ship. They kept showing full views of ships and you would assume it was the ship they were talking about, but it seldom was. They never mentioned a cruise line by name. All the bad publicity has to be hurting the cruise lines. There are people I have heard saying they would never cruise, saying things like "have you heard all the things happening on cruises lately? It's not safe" and other such comments. Good, that leaves more room for me. The whole program just made me more anxious to get back on a ship!

Hi, was laughing out loud about the thread -- but thought I would introduce myself to y'all anyway. I'm the editor of Cruise Critic (and yes, Laura's right, there's a whole other aspect of the site -- you should check it out). I've been editor of Cruise Critic for almost three years. Prior to that I was a travel writer on the staff of The Washington Post, where my beats included cruising and the Caribbean, plus other ancillary stuff.

We really would like to encourage y'all to come visit (it's not far).:p

Re the show: I thought it was generally quite fair but was puzzled at the inclusion of the woman who disappeared in Alaska. Now I'm a grown up woman with a family of my own but I can't imagine taking off on a cruise without telling my daughter or parents. Didn't y'all think that was weird?

No question, it's tragic, but to me it sounded like she wanted to get lost.

Which is not to say -- and I said it -- that cruise lines HAVE to do a better job when things go wrong. This latest episode with Celebrity Summit is a perfect case in point (go here -- and there will be an update later today: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=1642).

I found confusing the use of various ships (so many were Royal Caribbean which wasn't entirely fair) to illustrate sections that were about other ships but I guess they didn't want to be sued....

I was surprised that the whole George Smith imbriglio wasn't really featured but frankly I was relieved. I have heard enough.

So come on over and visit sometime...and feel free to shoot me questions anytime --

Best,

Carolyn

editor@cruisecritic.com

HI Carolyn..I thought you were great...but most of all I ws thrilled to see that the Travel Channel really produced new shows...I thought that they had quit production about 5 years ago and were in the perpetual re-run mode!:D

Yep...you were gracious, informative and sexxy! (oops, can I say that??):o Now, can I have a job. You know, one that just pays me a lot of money to go on cruises and maybe occcasionally post a thread about my experiences. I can start in about two weeks....uh oh...the Queen bee just reminded me that we "ain't" going anywhere except to North Carolina to see Ba-Bee for the next few months.

I'll have to get back to you on that starting date...by the way did I mention what fantastic stage presence you had. So much better than Anne Campbell over at "whats their name.com";)

I found confusing the use of various ships (so many were Royal Caribbean which wasn't entirely fair) to illustrate sections that were about other ships but I guess they didn't want to be sued

I just finished watching the show, and I have an opinion on the strange use of other ships and blurred images.

Having been addicted to watching all things cruise-related as of late, I noticed much of the footage came from other broadcasts on the Travel Channel related to cruising. Especially the 2 bigs shows on Royal Carribean's ships (hour long documentary-styled episodes to showcase a particular ship). That's probably why much of the footage seemed slanted toward RCCL.

I've seen 4 or 5 different cruise-related shows on TC lately, and noticed splices from all of them included in this one. My guess is, it was a last-minute job that they thought they could get away with by using some of what they already had on film.

Archived