Negative complaints/reviews

ryansmemom

For the reasons posted above - and for many others - several of my colleagues are advocating opening a Walk-in Psychiatric Clinic in the Atrium of every cruise ship. Not only will it help those in need, but provide more onboard revenues for the cruise lines. This will help to keep cruise fares down. Additionally, a legal office should go in right next door to the shrink. This gives a head start to all of those people who want to sue the cruise line. It also means that even when the cruise line loses the lawsuit, they still get a cut of the profits........

I so value your posts, Jim, and am grateful for all you contribute, but this makes me cringe just a little.

Do the crew really think so poorly of ALL of us? Do they think we are ALL unreasonably hard to please?

Regarding Tipping - we can understand there might be questions. So - personally we appreciate the new system of a daily amount added to our shipboard account. And we understand we can add additional amounts to those who contribute additional assistance to us.

Especially due to my limited mobility - we always add extra to those who help me - for embarcation/disembarcation as well as the cabin steward. The only time we truly didn't now what was appropriate was our first time in a Suite - when we had no idea what was appropriate to tip the Concierge - so we attempted to ask others for their guidelines.

For the reasons posted above - and for many others - several of my colleagues are advocating opening a Walk-in Psychiatric Clinic in the Atrium of every cruise ship. Not only will it help those in need, but provide more onboard revenues for the cruise lines. This will help to keep cruise fares down. Additionally, a legal office should go in right next door to the shrink. This gives a head start to all of those people who want to sue the cruise line. It also means that even when the cruise line loses the lawsuit, they still get a cut of the profits........

May they should just add an antidepressants "patch" to the document package for people to wear.:rolleyes:

As long as there are people who judge everything by how much it costs and everybody by how much they have, make, or spend, conversations like this are sure to arise from time to time.

DH and I spent 25 years as hot air balloonists; one of the local balloonists was also an airline pilot, and his wife NEVER failed to bring money into any conversation you had with her. How much money they had, how much this or that cost, whatever. It didn't take long to learn to avoid being around her. I'm afraid her attitude even spread to their child. The little girl was about 4 or 5 and heard me refer to her father as a "Delta pilot", she let me know in no uncertain terms that he was a "Delta Captain".

Poor and proud of it! :p

LOL:D ... hysterical!!! Thanks for the laugh. It's perfect.

About discussing financial concerns at the table, I see nothing wrong with asking for guidance. For guidance they wouldn't need to ask Tricia how much she was leaving. Sounds more to me like the person wanted everyone to leave the same amount or less than he was so he sort of walked into the whole thing backwards . When it didn't work with Tricia, he simply announced what everyone else should leave!:)

You can't go wrong in conversation at the table generally if you stay away from money, religion and politics.:o

How much are you charging per walk-in visit and should people leave a tip?

The OP is right on! TAs can go a long way towards educating those new to cruising but many of them don't. Either because they don't know the product (they've cruised on one line but not on another and give incorrect advice) or they don't take the time and trouble.

I've had to miss Grand Cayman a couple of times and once, it was still sunny albeit windy and choppy. You should have heard the people grousing! Once, we had to bypass Rhodes due to 45 mph winds and heavy seas. Two ships had been stuck in the harbor for two days, unable to leave. Yet you'd think that not putting the ship into the same situation had ruined their cruise.

People grouse about seeing their cabin category on another TA's website for $45/pp less and you'd think it was the end of the world. Last year, there was a thread by a new cruiser who said that if her husband couldn't see his college football game in his cabin, it would totally ruin his cruise and he wanted to know what to do to get the cruiseline to broadcast the game.

Once I board a cruise ship, I don't care what the news is (unless it's the tsunami that happened while we were on a cruise last year); if there's anything important being broadcast, TiVo will record it; if I can find a lounger or chair and open my book, I'm a happy camper. I'm on vacation, someone is making my bed and cleaning my cabin 2x a day, and I can get great food any time I want it while I explore new and interesting places around the world. What's not to like?

[QUOTE=HeatherInFlorida]About discussing financial concerns at the table, I see nothing wrong with asking for guidance. For guidance they wouldn't need to ask Tricia how much she was leaving. Sounds more to me like the person wanted everyone to leave the same amount or less than he was so he sort of walked into the whole thing backwards . When it didn't work with Tricia, he simply announced what everyone else should leave!:)

Heather....you got it! This particular person was a long-time HAL cruiser (almost to silver medal level) and an authority on EVERYTHING. He was also VERY money conscious....brought it into the conversation quite often.

One of the inexperienced couples at the table brought up tipping because they were unsure of what to do....and you're right....I don't see a problem with them asking for guidance. But, before there could be a general discussion, he proceeded to tell them exactly what they should tip as though it was locked in concrete.

In my opinion, I thought his suggestion was too low....which is why I said we might give more. I didn't want to say what we were planning to tip, but I probably would have discussed the industry standards if given a chance. He was upset with me, I think, because he didn't want someone to show him up but I figured that was his problem....not mine. I believe when people ask for guidance, you give them as much information as you can and then let them make up their own minds.

Fortunately, this only happened to us once....the other people we have dined with have been great.

Half of the negative things I hear on board, and read here as well, I never understand. I personally am there to relax. In fact, I can't think of a single thing that actually stressed me out on any cruise (ok, being under Code Red on the Veendam was different!).

I love cruises and love being aboard, and I really don't see why people get so worked up because maybe there wasn't a salad they liked in the past, or maybe something was different from X Ship and Y Line. That being said, I appreciate all the information and guidance found on this board - I think being an informed cruiser helps in terms of knowing what to expect and being able to deal with little issues that may arise.

As many have stated above, at dinner price seems to come up a lot. I usually just say I'm 'happy with the price I booked at'. There's always going to be someone who gets it cheaper, but in the end, we're all on the same ship :)

I'm just happy to be onboard, and I try not to let the negative opinions of others affect my enthusiasm!

I have been on 12 cruises, none of them perfect, and yet I managed to love them all.

How much everyone paid for their cruise is indeed a big topic of the dinner table. There are indeed a lot of people that need the perception that they got a deal- something more than the next guy, to have a good time. I usually knock-off $150 from the price I paid to get their goat.

Sail7seas,

I didn't mention ALL of the passengers - you did. A bit of paranoia perhaps??? You and I know perfectly well that most cruise passengers are very nice people who behave themselves and have a great time on their cruise. That only makes the few weirdos and nut cases stand out even more. These are the ones who need the shrink.

As my old Psychology Professor used to tell us, "Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean that they are NOT out to get you..................

Okay.......so maybe not all??? :) Most :)? Many:) ? A Majority :) ?

A large number :) ?

On the one hand, I did find humor in your post; on the other hand........!!!!

Our tablemates volunteered how much they paid for their cruise. I was surprised they did it; it's not normal dinner conversation. We did not volunteer what we paid, but did say it was substantially more. They recommended their TA. I wasn't upset that they mentioned their cost because it confirmed something we've known all along. We are not good at finding cruise bargains! We really liked these folks and a little breach of etiquette didn't influence that. Being seated with someone who constantly discussed financial matters would have been uncomfortable, though.
Unfortunately this is becoming more likely as capacities and price competition increases.

Compared to cruise dining room chat, the likelihood that air fares become a topic of conversation remains remote.

But returning to the OP, I read through taht and started to feel a bit targeted. I am guilty of all of those reactions to some degree. The I decided to book a full suite, for example, I fretted before and during the cruise about the cost and wanted everything to be just perfect. And it was too expensive for us and not everything was perfect. I almost felt jealous of the people at our table who were in regular cabins who got virtually everything we got (except free dry cleaning) at a much lower price.

In other words, I empathize, completely, with the underlying causes for anxiety on and after a cruise. However, if the 99% who loved the cruise were happy and the 1% were like me, uncomfortable with my own decisions, I wish the unhappy folks would do a little introspection before complaining about some detail that they found not up to their expectation.

That's a very long way of saying that I concur with the OP.

[quote name='HeatherInFlorida']Maybe I'm losing it completely, but I read Jim Gallup's post to be totally tongue in cheek ... wasn't it supposed to be funny????

If not, then there's no hope left for me and it's time for you to send in the white coats. Email me for my address.:D[/quote]

Who is Jim Gallup? Are you referring to ryansmemom who posted the original post?

[quote name='HeatherInFlorida']Maybe I'm losing it completely, but I read Jim Gallup's post to be totally tongue in cheek ... wasn't it supposed to be funny????

If not, then there's no hope left for me and it's time for you to send in the white coats. Email me for my address.:D[/quote]

[B]Yes, I'm sure he meant it to be funny...or at the least sarcastic. But sometimes humor is based more than a little in truth???!!! ;)[/B]

[B]I'll pass on trying to speak for Jim. He is more than able to speak for himself. :)[/B]

hammybee, too funny! I don't [B][I]think[/I][/B] so!!! You'll have to beat up my husband first.

Sail, yes of course I agree that there's always a bit of truth to sarcastic humor ... humor of any kind, I guess. For some reason, it just tickled me.

Walt, when I referred to Jim Gallup, I was using his screen name. He posted on this thread earlier.

I think there's one more category to add to the OP's list of negative influences:

e) People Who Are Chronic Complainers: They live to complain, whether it's about their health, the government, or the placement of the salt and pepper shakers on the table. They walk (or shuffle) around in a cloud of discontent and poison the atmosphere around them. If you've been lucky enough never to share their table at dinner, you've sat near them in the Lido and couldn't avoid hearing the litany of grievances. Everyone they know stopped listening to them years ago, which just makes them complain louder and more often. You have to wonder what disappointed them so bitterly in their lives that they now live to be disappointed. And then you just have to tune them out.

[quote name='MBeamTX']I think there's one more category to add to the OP's list of negative influences:

e) People Who Are Chronic Complainers: They live to complain, whether it's about their health, the government, or the placement of the salt and pepper shakers on the table. They walk (or shuffle) around in a cloud of discontent and poison the atmosphere around them. If you've been lucky enough never to share their table at dinner, you've sat near them in the Lido and couldn't avoid hearing the litany of grievances. Everyone they know stopped listening to them years ago, which just makes them complain louder and more often. You have to wonder what disappointed them so bitterly in their lives that they now live to be disappointed. And then you just have to tune them out.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Amen to that McBeam! I have seen them:eek: [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

I guess I am either very lucky, MBeam, or totally oblivious:) and that's possible. When I'm on a cruise (except for one specific instance) I have not been anywhere near this. And most important, never at our table. I guess we're just blessed or I tune it out:D .

But here on CC it's quite another story.

Archived