Do you think Istanbul is safe to visit?

Is Istanbul safe to visit?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Is Istanbul safe to visit?

• Yes it is safe. Don't worry about it.
    • Somewhat risky. Be carefull how you plan and where you stay.
    • Don't go! Put it off until things cool down.

"JoanneB, you made the statement that large hotels are sometimes the target of terrorists in these area. I don't recall hearing any terrorist incidents at large hotels in either Istanbul or Athens since 9/11."

I don't believe I said that the attacks were after 9/11. Terrorist activity didn't start with 9/11..that's just when most Americans became aware of it. I do know that there were attacks in both Athens and Istanbul around the time we were there a couple of years ago, not sure of the exact dates. The one in Athens was a bomb thrown in the hotel lobby, and in Istanbul hostages were taken at one of the major luxury hotels. We were surprised that security in our hotel was so lax--we were routinely waved around the security scanners. I do know there was another attack in Istanbul a year or so ago. But neither would keep me out of either Turkey or Greece. We have never been treated with anything but respect in either country.

Don't think this is a political issue. Most major cities have their own risks, and it is easy to get caught accidently in terrorist act. I've had several close misses in both London and Paris, was a frequent business traveler to the World Trade Center, just to name a few. The question was, what is the risk......yes, there is some risk. And each one of us needs to determine our own comfort level. Personally, I'll be careful, but it won't keep me home.

We just got back from the Diamond on back to back cruises. Turkey was absolutely incredible! Istanbul was amazing. The people of Turkey treated us better than anywhere we visited elsewhere, including Greece, Italy and Croatia. Extra security measures were taken. We were driven by a personal driver (included in post-cruise stay) to the hotel. The hotel had mirrors that they checked under the bus upon our arrival. The staff at the hotel did everything they could to make us feel welcome. Despite our initial fears of going to Istanbul, we had the best time. We NEVER felt fear or threatened. It was not just Istanbul, all of Turkey, including Ephesus, Dikili (Pergamum) and Istanbul were some of the most incredible places we have ever visited. What started out as my most apprehension ended up being a highlight of our cruise.

A review will follow...

• 4 years later...

To counter the sad story by the woman a Turk tried to BUY from her Dad, I want to tell about our precious Istanbul adventure.

My wife and I were looking at pastries in a window when a spiffy 50ish gent in a worn jacket and tie introduced himself and said he would like to "practice his English." I asked him his name and he said "Mustafa Kemal." Of course, the father of modern Turkey is Mustafa Kemal Attaturk.

Of course we were suspicious. For four hours, as he guided us most marvelously through the confusing streets of Istanbul, we kept waiting for the punch line, at least stopping at some rug shop run by some relative who would give us a 'great deal.'

The shoe never dropped. After we'd wound our way through historical thoroughfares and unforgettable back alleys, we found ourselves back at the pastries. He thanked us for the "English lesson" (which he didn't need, his was fluent), said goodbye, and went on his way.

When we described our sojourn back at the hotel ond on board, people were incredulous. We really saw a side of Istanbul you cannot buy. "Mustafa," false name or not, was the real thing.

Ironically, we bought a rug on a recommended tour, and spent $2k on a $1k rug. We wished he HAD brought us to his "brother-in-law's shop, for a special price."

We're spending a few days in Istanbul at the end of our RSSC/Navigator July17-24 2009 cruise, and hope "Mustafa" finds us again.

Rick and Cynthia

Wow -- this is one of the oldest threads I've ever seen come back to life. I'm glad it did so those of us who had not read Wendy's report on Istanbul can read it now.:)

As most of you know, there has not been a safety risk to tourists in Isbantul in recent years. There was a bomb attack in a residential neighborhood a couple of months prior to our October, 2008 cruise -- other than that, I feel safer there than in some large cities in the U.S.

We found Istanbul to be one of the most interesting cities we have ever visited -- wish we had spent more time there. Food was not an issue for us -- we loved the meals we had -- fresh fish, lovely vegetables --- yummm.

The Mediterrean cruises have become VERY popular -- for a good reason. The water, the ports, the people . . . hard to get any better!

Good Lord! You never know what you'll come across in these boards!

Don't feel bad Boatwright, we spent $7k on a $2k rug in Kusadasi last October while enjoying the Eastern Med on Voyager.

It's in our living room now and every time we look at it we feel it was worth every penny! The dogs love it too.

Yeah yeah..... I know.... sucker born every minute.... yadda yadda....

We're looking forward to getting to Istanbul in September.

we used Seasong and had a private Mercedes van a driver and a guide who carried all our packages. We did not have any bad "incidents" with shopping. We used Seasong also in Kudashi (I think this is spelled wrong) and we did go to a rug place. Fabulous. They showed us coccoons and how they make the silk ones. I have all Persian carpets in my home and honestly, the Turkish ones--the colors are fabulous. They bargain..but it takes a LONG TIME. Bottom line we got several carpets for just about what we pay here--not more. I was so hesitant to pay...then they said, just give us 50% and you can pay the freight person when they are delivered. The rugs were here one day after we got home. No tax, no duty and we paid the balance to the freight company. I am not sorry and frankly I would love to figure out how to go back. I know that tourists can really be taken, but if you know what you are buying and know what it costs here, you can come out all right.

I would love to have had the experiences that Wendy the Wanderer had. We did most of it--but I would love to see the beaches and other places. Go soon before they are on the Euro. Our money is good there.

On the subject of head coverings. My daughter-in-law and I are extremely respectful of the ways of other people. We did have white scarves that covered our hair and our shoulders. We were there during Ramadan. There was a pilgrimage of elderly ladies there and they came up to us and got on their knees and kissed our hands. I asked our guide why they were doing that and he said that they were so respectful of the fact that we were trying to respect them. I found the people there to be very friendly and nice. Of course our guide translated everything for us. That was helpful.

We just returned from a couple weeks in Turkey, most of it in a friends holiday home on the Bodrum peninsula, and a few nights in Istanbul.

If you read Saveur magazine, there is a great article in the latest issue about Istanbul culture and food. In was in our mail when we got home, and we had staying in the hotel they suggest just off Istiklal street about 3 blocks from Taksim square. This area is great for shopping and food, but it can get noisy at night due to the bars (we wear earplugs most places in Europe).

We have been visiting Istanbul about once or twice a year since 2005 (we are Americans on a temporary assignment in Baku). In the past we always stayed in a boutique hotel by the Haga Sophia, and the Taksim area was a nice change for us (not at touristy, many more food choices at much lower cost!).

We will be there again before we take our Voyager cruise in October 09, so we will get there a few days ahead of time just to enjoy the food! We may be the only Regent passenger who arrive at the ship by public transport (tram), which is very safe and reasonably priced.

Memories of Istanbul ( sounds like a President's Choice sauce) I have my own too. I was outvoted in a bus tour and was forced to skip the Hagia Sofia in favour of more time in the Grand Bazaar. I almost never take bus tours after that...

Wendy I have an answer to your question regarding Chai .. Hindi in India is derived from Sanskrit which is a member of the Indo Aryan family of languages - hence the same name in the Ukraine, Turkey and India. There are number of similar words in Latin and Sanskrit as well.

I didnt know you had been to India - I was born in Mumbai and lived there for 27 years.

Miriam

Funny Emdee, I was watching one of the TV series on the history of India recently, and it seems perhaps the Aryans came from around Turkey. I should have guessed about the linguistic connection, since I have read about these things in the past.

"President's Choice"--you don't even have to look up to be reminded that you're in Canada! I was in Mumbai in 2001 for a week on business, worked for an Indian company with a majority of Indian employees for 8 years.

I hate bus tours too.

we will take the Funicular from Taksim square down to the tram, then the tram to the cruise ship quay. probably just one checked bag and one carry on each, so not a big deal. one token for each ride, total of four for the two of us (token in Turkish is 'Jeton'!) 4 lira is about $2.48 usd!

Chai is also the name for tea in Russian and Azerbaijani language (chay)

Archived