Cancelled Ports

stampincruiser

Was wondering if Alaska Ports get cancelled very often by the cruise lines after you leave for your cruise. Is there certain months that this would be more of a problem because of the weather or is Alaska a port that doesn't get weather related cancellations?

Not sure about this, but I did get a notice today that all excursions were cancelled for Ketchikan on my cruise next week due to shortening of port times. Someone else on our roll call posted their TA informed them it was due to tide changes, so I guess it's possible. That only leaves us 4 hours in port (3 1/2 after you count time to be back on the ship) but at least it hasn't been cancelled. Yet. ;)

Not exactly Alaska, but... we returned from our Alaska cruise last week (HAL's Zaandam). Our last port was Victoria, BC and that port was cancelled because it was too windy to dock and that particular port could not accommodate tenders. So everybody remained on the ship as it sat offshore for the originally planned duration.

I have been on three different Alaska Cruises and have never had any of the ports canceled. There is always a chance that a cancellation could occur for a variety of reasons but it is no more likely there than other areas of the world. Don't see where the month of the year would be a factor. The cruise season in Alaska is largely May thru September.

Keith

It does happen but very infrequent. As an example there were ships who had mechanical problems and not able to maintain the port times.

Independents refund fully, excursions, if your ship doesn't dock, but ALWAYS verify this directly when you book.

Archived