Celebrity Captain gets a DUI

bepsf

Hi,

I was a senior Hotel Officer onboard HAL for 5 years, and here are the rules: There is a BAL for on duty and one for off duty. Officers are encouraged to socialize with passengers and host tables, but you always need to be aware of when your next shift starts. The BAL level for off duty is fairly low, due to the fact that an emergency could happen at any time. Crew often buy bottles of alcohol ashore to take home or for a crew party because it is much cheaper than buying aboard.

Interesting......I really thought it would be less costly for crew to buy liquor aboard than duty free in St. Thomas (or whatever port.) Thanks for explaining.

:) :) Doesn't security confiscate the bottles until 'the end of their cruise'? Kidding, sorry, kidding.......couldn't resist.

You know, that is the best thing about being a crew member, our bottles aren't confiscated!!! Crew members typically get a discount at the shops onshore, in addition to the duty free price, so it ends up being very cheap!

Hi,

I was a senior Hotel Officer onboard HAL for 5 years, and here are the rules: There is a BAL for on duty and one for off duty. Officers are encouraged to socialize with passengers and host tables, but you always need to be aware of when your next shift starts. The BAL level for off duty is fairly low, due to the fact that an emergency could happen at any time.

Thanks for clarifying that. The policy makes good sense.

Maybe the "dry" policy I had heard about in the past perhaps only applied to "hard" liquor. You could probably consume a small amount of wine in a social situation without it having too much affect on blood alcohol levels.

I have seen senior officers in various bars onboard ship (the hotel manager and cruise director), but from my personal experience, they were either drinking water or picking up a soft drink.

In some respects, I feel sorry for that Celebrity Captain. I'll bet he had some sort of a serious problem to jeopardize such a great job just for a drink. Surely he must have known the Coast Guard could be coming onboard the vessel. You would think he would have had the sense to make sure he was stone cold sober before arriving into port.

He's probably dealing with a whole world of regret right now. It's a shame.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived