Celebrity Captain gets a DUI

bepsf

I just saw the announcement - strangely on the Princess board. However, they are talking about it over on the Celebrity board too. It seems that the Mercury is just tainted with bad news.

Brian, I think this ship deserves a movie!

Yep, Brian ... you drove the poor man to drink! ;)

Very sad ... but drinking on the job is more common than we might think. We've learned it happens quite often among truck drivers. And we saw it not too long ago with a ferry skipper, didn't we? Let's just hope the inspections continue to keep everyone on their toes, and discourage violating company safety regs by those who might be inclined to do so.

I hate to make light of a disconcerting occurence such as this, but......as I contemplate this situation, I was wondering how Celebrity shares the information with their passengers that they are leaving Seattle with a, shall we say, very recently promoted Staff Captain -- and I cannot come out with a good scenario--

''Ladies and gentlemen, we would like to apologize. Our ship will be detained in Seattle an extra 90 minutes today because: (you choose, or perhaps you can come up with a better one)

--The Coast Guard Safety inspectors have detained us.....

--Our Captain has been arrested for DUI (or is it SUI in this instance?)....

--The Coast Guard Safety Inspectors detected inappropriate alcohol fumes on board....

They would probably say something like, "Captain Etoh was taken ill and Captain 'x' will be guiding you on your most enjoyable cruise."

Knowing Celebrity - they wouldn't say anything.

They'd pretend that nothing unusual is happening, and ignore direct questioning.

"Enjoy that half-glass of champagne!"

:rolleyes:

As you can imagine, this subject is quite a topic on Celebrity. One person said they were on pier as the Mercury sailed and heard the announcement to passengers as they left. This poster reported that nothing was said about the situation, just the usual announcements about evening entertainment,etc.

This whole thing really made me think, On our last cruise (different cruiseline) i was in the ships store and the captain walked in and bought a bottle of vodka, then in the next port i bumped into him again at a liquor store near the ship, buying another bottles of Vodka.

I really did not think to much about it until now.

exactly how drunk was the Captain driving the ship that my family and i were vacationing on.

Makes me wonder why a Captain would be in a store ashore buying liquor. Why would he dream of paying 'retai'?

Officer's Bars are a lot less costly. :)

Whatever drinks a Captain (or any officer may or may not be drinking) is much less costly aboard the ship than anything we buy in any port.

So....sometimes things are not what they appear to be. Maybe he was buying a few to bring home with him? Liquor is more pricey in some locations than others. Isn't it higher in Canada than lots of U.S. areas? Maybe his wife was aboard and was leaving soon and she was taking a few home with her? The speculation can be almost endless.

If a person bought all their liquor on board, there would be a record of how much alcohol was bought by that person over a given period of time. Alcoholics go to great lengths to conceal the true volume of their consumption.

This whole thing really made me think, On our last cruise (different cruiseline) i was in the ships store and the captain walked in and bought a bottle of vodka, then in the next port i bumped into him again at a liquor store near the ship, buying another bottles of Vodka.

I really did not think to much about it until now.

exactly how drunk was the Captain driving the ship that my family and i were vacationing on.

I brought this up on another thread a while back ... and was told that I was wrong. But, I distinctly remember being told (perhaps at a cruise director Q&A or some such event) that while the ship's crew can drink (within very strict limits) on their off hours, the ship's senior officers were not permitted to drink at all while stationed onboard ship. I don't know if that's just a cruise line rule (can't remember if I was told this on a HAL or a Princess ship), or whether it is Maritime law ... but the reason for the regulation, I was told, is that even if a senior officer was off-duty, an emergency onboard could put him back on duty real quick ... and also make him accountable for protecting human life. So, anytime the ship was at sea, senior officers had to go "dry."

Anyone else hear this? I was told I was wrong on the HAL board, but maybe I got this information on another line's ship ... perhaps Princess or Celebrity (the only lines other than HAL that I have sailed)?

Blue skies ...

--rita

I remember that discussion, it was on this board. But, as I posted then, I have drunk wine and stronger drinks with ship's officers, and their drinks were poured from the same bottle as mine. So, while I don't know what the regulations are, or whether it varies from line to line, I do know that it is not universally enforced.

We've enjoyed a number of dinners at tables with Officers and they always share wine with us.

In all honesty, I cannot say whether they may have only had a sip 'to taste' it before it was poured for their guests or if they enjoyed refills of their wineglasses.

We have Never been at an Officer's table and Not had wine.

In addition, when it is a Captain's Table, we always meet for drinks before going to the table in one of the Lounges and Captains have a drink with us. Again, for all I noticed or recall, they may have only had a sip.

I have most assuredly seen any number of Captains any number of times on all the ships in the Ocean Bar or Crows Nest or whichever Lounge having drinks.

There are assuredly strict rules but I have no clue what they are.......and probably don't even care. It isn't my job to be the on board 'drink police'. There are others who would be responsible for that role. IMO

I was surprised when we were invited to the Captain's table on an RCCL ship to see that the Captain did not have any wine with us. Before the wine was served, he was shown a red and white, and a sample was poured for his approval. He took a very small sip of each and then approved the pour. The steward then removed his glasses from the table and only the guests drank the wine....the Captain drank water.

Likewise, at the end of the dinner we were served an after-dinner drink which contained a small amount of liquor. The Captain left his drink sitting on the table. When I commented about how good it was, he pushed his drink over to me. (I'm not proud...I drank it.)

I had assumed that since the Captain was "off duty" he would be able to enjoy a glass of wine, but perhaps he is never really off duty. I don't know whether he didn't drink because of law, company policy, or personal choice, but I was impressed.

Archived