I've seen a few references to increases in Security????

sail7seas

A few folks have mentioned increased security measures for U.S. as of July 1. Is this reference to the new requirements for U.S. ports Homeland Security has enacted? What changes are expected....anyone know?

It is not much, just a short note in a recent copy of the National Geographic Traveler magazine . . .

"By no later than July 1st, all U.S. ports will have to put in place identity screening measures that pass muster with the U.S. Coast Guard. The notice goes on to say that it is likely that cruise passengers will be screened twice - once by the port authority and again by the specific cruise line."

I can only hazard a guess that like the airports, the flavor of this security check will have some variation depending on the local port authority. Will have to wait and see.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/05/25/terror/main619510.shtml

A week or so ago I saw on the news that cargo ships and cruise ships may have some problems come July 1. They said many Caribbean ports have not put in the required security. The ships that visited these ports would either be denied docking in the US or subject to a very heavy fine.

The above link does not mention cruise ships but does talk about the security to be in effect July 1.

Below is a link explaining the new port security in St.Thomas.

http://www.virginislandsdailynews.com/index.pl/article_home?id=6087385

An interesting security related note ... we had a story in the newspaper last week saying that after August 1 (I think) McCarran airport in Las Vegas can opt out of federal screening agents ... TSA. I don't know if they will, or who they will hire to put in there if they do. Will be interesting to see what happens.

That would be fine by me.

If our safety, the safety of crews and ships are not adequate....who needs to go there?

I also think cruiselines may have no choice but to stop going to certain ports if they will not be allowed back into a U.S. port after visiting a non-compliant port.

This appeared in this morning's edition of the New York Post:

WASHINGTON -- The Coast Guard will board every foreign-flagged vessel that sails into a U.S. port beginning tomorrow, [July 1], to check whether it is complying with rules aimed at foiling terrorists.

Rear Adm. Larry Hereth said 700 Coast Guardsmen will be part of the effort to board all ships as they enter the ports.

The ships must meet international anti-terror standards, which include an automatic identification system and access restrictions to the engine room and bridge. AP

We're certainly very pleased with this news. It's about time!

Archived