Shopping for Jewelry in Wester Caribbean

Except for silver, jewely including diamonds is much more expensive than it is here in New York.(47th street, which is one of the jewelry /diamonds capitals) My Roberto Coin earnings that I wear all the time, I paid 295.oo in New York, the same one in the caribbean wre 550(but of coursem they were duty free and I did not have to pay tax) I gladly paid tax on the 295. amount Thank You.

I agree with breal6: Cayman for precious stones; sliver, and maybe gold, in Cozumel.

Remember, you aren't necessarily going to get a better price unless you do your homework. Most of us like to buy jewelry for the sentimental value. I like to shop for that reason on cruises, plus I think the designs are different and more unique in the Caribbean. A lot of the jewelry comes from Europe and India that you don't see in the US.

I have a pair of gold and onyx earrings I bought in St. Maarten years ago that I have yet to see anywhere in the US.

I priced anniversary bands in the states then went shopping for one in Caymand and Cozumel last November. I ended up with EXACTLY what I wanted for the right price in Cayman. For me, it was matching the style, color and weight to fit with my current wedding set, and I had so many choices in Cayman because of the huge number of stores. The price was just what I wanted to spend, too. It's like a jewelry shopping mall for blocks and blocks.

Works for me, but it might not if your primary interest is price.

Archived