good hotel in Ft. Lauderdale?

lookin4ward

We are taking the Legend out of Ft. Lauderdale and want to go down the day before but I need some ideas for hotels. Also some ideas for things to do or places to go the night before. Like the Bayside Marketplace in Miami. We leave on Wednesday, Jan.3 and I understand there is a Bowl game there that weekend so I want to book early before the crowds start booking hotel rooms. Any help will be appreciated.

We are taking the Legend out of Ft. Lauderdale and want to go down the day before but I need some ideas for hotels. Also some ideas for things to do or places to go the night before. Like the Bayside Marketplace in Miami. We leave on Wednesday, Jan.3 and I understand there is a Bowl game there that weekend so I want to book early before the crowds start booking hotel rooms. Any help will be appreciated.

Book now! Many bowl rooms are already blocked. You would enjoy staying on 17th Street in FLL. Check out the Embassy Suites.

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express 12/27/05.

It was very nice.

Nice restaurants across the street. ( Probably will have to J-walk to get to them).

When we checked out the next morning there were 2 semi trucks unloading brand new beds for the HIEX. Thought that was a real positive thing even though we thought the bed we had was fine for a hotel bed.

Another vote for Holiday Inn Express. We were just there May 1 and the staff and the room was just great. Everything was nice and clean, the staff very friendly and restaurants were all around the area. This one is on 17th St. in Ft. lauderdale. They do have a shuttle from the airport to the hotel but not one from the hotel to the port. Not a problem we just called for a taxi. It is only about 1 mile to the port. Very inexpensive.

Marilyn

The Super Bowl if Feb.4th

An understandable mistake. Since for years and years and years it's been Jan.

Pat.

Again, no mistake, not the superbowl but the Orange Bowl. The attendence of the Orange Bowl is pretty much exactly as many people as the Superbowl.

I too have been looking for a place 1 day pre-cruise in January. I found www.sunny.org very helpful. I just booked a room at Angelas Beach Resort, a small hotel @300 yards from the beach and 5 min. from Port Everglades for $129.00/night. It's 2 full size beds, microwave and fridge, heated pool. About a 5 min. walk to the Water Taxi. They also have effeciencies and one bedroom apartments. The owner was very nice and knowledgeable. The web address is www.angelasbeachresort.com. Sunny.org had other smalland large hotels to check out, plus you can order brochures. Hope this helps.

We did our first pre-cruise stay in Ft. Lauderdale last month and stayed at the Renaissance. Be sure and get info on the water taxi at whatever hotel you pick and take the tour of the waterway. One entrance or stop is located beside the causeway across the street from the Renaissance on 17th. A good stop on the tour is #9 where you can window shop at Las Olas Boulevard and also get a very good meal. We ate at Mango's and it was delicious. It is near the water taxi stop #9. Also, if you like chocolate and/or ice cream, look for Kilwins at 809 E. Las Olas Blvd. They have huge chocolate pecan "tuttles" and the most delicious fudge I've ever eaten. You get to see the mansions and the yachts belonging to the rich and famous on the waterway and then on Las Olas Blvd. you can see your first Bentley.

We stayed at the Pier 66 and got a great rate when it was Hyatt off Priceline. New owners so don't know if it is being won on PL anymore. $95 per night. Tower rooms can overlook the pier so you can see your ship when you wake up in the morning. Great pools and restaurants as well.

http://www.pier66.com

New owners so don't know if it is being won on PL anymore. $95 per night. Tower rooms can overlook the pier so you can see your ship when you wake up in the morning. Great pools and restaurants as well.

www.pier66.com

Ownership of the hotel has not changed, it's still part of the Blackstone Group. In addition to owning the Hyatt Pier 66 they own the Ft.Lauderdale Grande, Bahia Mar, a few hotel chains such as Extended Stay Ameica, Wellesley Inns, LaQuinta and a couple of dozen upscale hotels around the country. They recently purchased Amerisuites and quickly sold it to Global Hyatt. They are all being transformed into the Hyatt Place brand to compete with Marriott's Courtyard brand. ;)

I thought some sort of investment company purchased it last summer, was renovating it and closing the revolving rooftop lounge to customers (events only). Has this changed? Did Hyatt keep it? Can it still be won on PL?

We may like to stay here again in 08 for our Freedom cruise for a couple days pre-cruise.

I thought some sort of investment company purchased it last summer, was renovating it and closing the revolving rooftop lounge to customers (events only). Has this changed? Did Hyatt keep it? Can it still be won on PL?

The Blackstone Group purchased it from *Boca Resorts Inc. in October 2004 and have continued to operate it as a Hyatt franchise. Blackstone has put millions into renovating the Lanai rooms and is currently renovating the Tower building. They have completed the landscaping planting that was destroyed during last years hurricanes. The revolving rooftop lounge has been closed to the public. Blackstone renovated it and have reopened it for private parties, weddings, corporate events. They make more money doing one private event in a night then opening it to the public for a month. Yes, it's still available on PL, avg lately 100-125 winning bid.

*Boca Resorts, Inc. was the owner and operator of five distinctive destination resorts located in Florida with hotels, conference facilities, golf courses, spas, marinas and private clubs. The Company's resorts include the Boca Raton Resort & Club (Boca Raton), the Registry Resort at Pelican Bay (Naples), the Edgewater Beach Hotel (Naples), the Hyatt Regency Pier 66 Hotel and Marina (Fort Lauderdale) and the Radisson Bahia Mar Resort and Yachting Center (Fort Lauderdale). The Company also owned and operated two golf clubs located in Florida (Grande Oaks Golf Club in Fort Lauderdale and Naples Grande Golf Club in Naples) that serve as additional amenities to its resorts, as well as components of its exclusive social club, known as the Premier Club. In addition, the Company owned and operates two golf courses in Boca Raton that are part of the Boca Raton Resort & Club. All of the above mentioned holdings have been acquired by the Blackstone Group.

Good to know Bequia. Thanks for your response. I will definitely try once I get closer to get her again for our pre-cruise stay. We leave out of Miami, but I think it may be worth it.

Yes, you can still win Hyat Pier 66 on priceline. I recently won it for our July 22 Princess cruise for $90. I'm looking forward to staying there and hope it will be nice.

You will love it. Sometimes you can ask for a tower room and they will grant it to you. Ask to overlook the pier and you can see all the ships in the morning when you wake up.

Archived