Snorkle Poll

meyerhaus

What snorkling equipment will you be using on your next cruise?  

188 members have voted

1. 1. What snorkling equipment will you be using on your next cruise?

• Ship rented equipment
    • Beach rented equipment
    • Use own mask and snorkle only
    • Use own mask, snorkle and fins only
    • Use own equipment (other than above)
    • Snorkle, I'm too busy smuggling Heiny's aboard the CP!

Thanks a bunch! I think that I am going today to buy a mask and snorle set for each of us, then I may, or may not, buy fins before we go. Most probably, I will do the latter and rent them at the beaches.

BUT, if we snorkle at 4 beaches (Barbados, Antigua, St. John, St. Lucia), that's $24, and we can buy them for $25...decisions, decisions.

JON

I use my own equipment, especially after being certified in Scuba. I had a good dive shop help me select the fins, and I now have very good fitting fins that have yet to cramp my legs.

I have seen far to much rental gear that is beat-up, worn-out, defective, unsanitary. Its not worth the risk to your health to use a mask that someone else has just spit in.

John

We bought snorkels and masks to use about a dozen years ago. I replaced them before our last cruise. As others have mentioned, fins take up a lot of room, so I did not buy them. We've used the fins on excursions where they were provided. We also enjoy snorkeling without them where there isn't much current. We managed fine without fins at the private island and Chankanaab on our last cruise.

We always bring out own. My husband has a prescription mask, his booties, and his fins from diving (and his snorkel of course). I just have mask, fins, and snorkle. We pack one bag on each trip which we call "the dive bag". It's a rolling duffle and we put all the dive gear in there, our large mugs, a couple of large bottles of water, suntan lotion, AFTER sun lotion (:eek: ), the whatchamacallit we hang over the bathroom door, and other miscellaneous odds and ends. It usually ends up being a fairly heavy bag! LOL!

TinaLee

Reply to mbw1024 - Fins are quite important for ocean snorkeling and ESPECIALLY if you do a snorkel a snorkel trip from a boat. The only time you may not need fins is if you are a very strong swimmer or in extreamly gentle water - very rare conditions.

To snorkel, you are simply using your legs to propel yourself through the water. Your arms are by your side, or holding on to a flotation device, or holding bread crumbs to feed fish or holding you waterproof camera. I notice when I swim that many people have difficulty moving across a pool by kicks only if they are not wearing fins - and thats a calm swimming pool. When you are in the ocean, you have waves and current of varying intensity.

Fins really help you move quickly through the water

We bought our masks and snorkels before our last cruise and we were thrilled to have them. Each excursion that we went on had fins available for free. With all of the virus issues on the ships I can't imagine not using my own snorkel and mask.

The only time we used fins were when we were on the edge of a reef that had a pretty good current that you had to fight. Most of the spots that we were taken to were in little coves and the water was smooth with very little current.

Thanks for all of the advice everyone! I went looking today, out of curiosity, and found a GREAT deal on two U.S. Divers complete sets at Meijer on clearance for $18.49! I was told that it was chain-wide, so check it out. It had a dry-top snorkel with purge-valve, a U.S. Divers "Cozumel" mask, and the new split-fin fins. Was originally over $30! :D

Thanks, again!

JON

You got a great deal Jon - my daughter just loves her split fins, says they are much easier to manage than her old ones ~ which I use now :rolleyes: ...

Have a great time snorkeling! Now you just need to find an easy to carry bag to hold all the gear when you go into port!

TinaLee :)

TinaLee,

I have a GREAT L.L. Bean Backpack that is reinforced, clear plastic. It is just like their great Backpacks that are so popular. I got it when I was working at Dillard's (another one of Jon's past lives) and had to carry everything in a clear bag. Most guys just didn't bring anything, but not Jon! I brought everything but the kitchen sink. I should have known then that I was destined to be a cruiser! :rolleyes:

They don't even make them anymore. They are big enough that I can fit 2 sets of fins, 2 masks w/snorkels, and several beach towels! I love L.L. Bean!

JON

That sounds like a GREAT bag Jon! Just what you need!! My husband has a mesh dive bag, but when he's toting snorkle gear for all 3 of us, we just use the duffle bag. It's huge, but at least we have everything (and then some) with us! LOL! Hey, I don't have to carry it, right?!?

I really need to look into a BIG backpack that he could use - thanks for the great idea.

Pam - my husband got his prescription mask thru our dive shop, but I have seen them at the local "optical" store in the mall too. Don't know how much they would charge there, but I think we paid a couple hundred dollars for his. He would bump into boats without it, so it was worth the cost for a certified diver. You'd be surprised how much better your vision is underwater though, even without your glasses. I wear my contacts (and my mask) when I snorkle.

TinaLee :cool:

TinaLee - Yeah, it ended up being perfect! You can find clear or mesh backbacks online. Try Yahoo! Shopping.

You said that you snorkle/dive with your contacts and a mask. I just recently got contacts again and was wondering if there is anything that I need to do special with them before snorkeling. I wouldn't think so. :o

JON

Never seen hubby sick in five years until about eight hours after we snorkeled in Cozumel last year. Deep respiratory infection. I never got sick. Salt water does not kill bacteria.

For about $25, we bought really practical snorkel sets at Costco. Fins are wide and short. Easy to pack..easier to walk in. Breathing tube has water flow-back device. Came in their own a mesh bag. Great purchase.

Amagar,
That equipment should be just fine. I've seen it at
Costco and is a bargain. You can pack it in an extra
suitcase and use it as padding for your liquid refreshment
that must be packed also. We will see on onboard the
Dec.3rd western caribbean Dawn.

Mike & Claudette

[quote name='meyerhaus']You said that you snorkle/dive with your contacts and a mask. I just recently got contacts again and was wondering if there is anything that I need to do special with them before snorkeling. I wouldn't think so. :o

JON[/QUOTE]
Jon -

Nope, I don't do a thing. Just pop the mask on and away I go. Do be careful removing the mask, make sure you have your eyes tightly shut, because the suction CAN suck the lenses right out of your eyes. I do always make sure I put my glasses in the dive bag, just in case I should accidentally lose a lens, and boy howdy it burns like mad when you get salt water in your eyes with the contacts in, but at least I can see the fish! :rolleyes:

Hope you have a great snorkling adventure... at least twice as much fun as you've had hunting for the gear!!

TinaLee

[quote name='lacruisecat']Reply to mbw1024 - Fins are quite important for ocean snorkeling and ESPECIALLY if you do a snorkel a snorkel trip from a boat. The only time you may not need fins is if you are a very strong swimmer or in extreamly gentle water - very rare conditions.[/QUOTE]
I'll second lacruisecat's response. If you plan to do anything other than drift on the surface fins are very important. Your feet are not very efficient at propelling you through the water, and water socks makes it even worse. With fins you can dive to the bottom and explore the reefs. Fins will also protect your feet against coral scrapes.

If you are concerned about the bulkiness of fins in your baggage consider [url="http://www.snorkelcity.com/travelfins.html"]http://www.snorkelcity.com/travelfins.html[/url] discovered by CC member Soraya.

Another hint about using fins learned in SCUBA class; keep your knees as straight as possible and kick with your whole leg for the best efficiency.

[quote name='Pam in MA']We don't have a Meijer's nearby. Another other suggestions on where to get snorkle and mask? And, where do you get the prescription mask? That would be awesome.[/QUOTE]

Pam,

BJ's, Costco, Sams Club have them. Probably Walmart and Target also.

A dive shop for prescription mask. I don't know how bad you eyes are but I wear glasses and just use a regular mask. I can still see underwater ok. A prescription mask would be nice but they are costly then when your prescription changes you need another mask.

Scott

LADY JAG

Which face mask and snorkle did you buy?

There is a face mask on the SPORT CHALET site that has a single lens for $50 and they seem to just offer one snorkle, is that the one you got?

Going to TAHITI this OCT. and need equipment.

THANK YOU M

we bought our own mask, snorkle & fins several years ago! well worth the investment (now the BC vests my DH insisted we needed, thats another sotry!)
got the snorkles where it dosent matter how high the waves are they dont take in water!
also got fins that go over all terrane aqua socks (they are for cold water diving but I wouldnt have it any other way!) great for walking about town to the snorkling slip on ins and mask and I am good to go!
I agree I know only my mouth (or DH) has been on my gear

june1300 - good point. Make sure the snorkel is long enough to be well above the waves and not so skinny to restrict the airflow. The US Divers one I bought (with mask and fins at Walmart) had baffles at the end that kept most of the water out, but being experienced with the old fashioned open ones it restricted the airflow too much for me. I pulled off the 2" baffle end and replaced it with a 6" piece of 1/2" PVC pipe. It worked great!

Boyd

We bought a set snorkel/mask/fins/handy carrying bag at BJ's for about $30. Fins are really nice - the shorter split fin type, which are great for our level of experience. Sold the snorkel/mask, and bought snorkel/mask at local dive shop, who helped us find mask with a good fit for each of us. Also able to get corrective lenses for mask.

The split fins are much shorter than regular fins, and easier to pack. We often find our own places to snorkel - not on a "tour" - much less expensive - so fins are not always available to borrow or rent.

Archived