Difference between Princess and HAL

SYD-YYZ

Gross generalization of course, but we found:

Food slightly better on HAL, with slightly more polished service levels.

Entertainment venues have better sight lines on Princess. Several of the HAL ships' main lounges have flat floors, and are dual purpose rooms, not as well suited to production type shows.

HAL quieter in evenings, slightly older, more monied demographics.

Princess has wider range of itineraries.

We enjoy both lines, but find Princess' prices somewhat lower on similar itineraries.

Isn't it wonderful we have so many choices?

Have only been on HAL for a 21 day cruise around So. America. We found the food to be presented nicely but the taste was rather bland. No bad, just not a lot of flavor. We wondered if this was due to the many "older" folks on board. Otherwise we found service and events a little more "classy" than Princess. Tea time was held in a lounge with string trio playing classical music. The choclates each evening at the lounge we went to in the eveings were delightful. Shows were about the same. When we boarded we were shown to our cabin by one of the crew members; wearing white gloves no less.

They still hold muster drills out on deck at your lifeboat station while Princess has them inside at the show venue and other locations; which is nice.

We've sailed on HAL 5 times and Princess once. We have enjoyed both, but for us:

Passengers - Both ships have passengers of all ages, but HAL attracts an older clientele

Service - a draw

Food - Princess' menus are more gourmet, but we thought food was better overall on HAL, especially the deserts. Princess' buffet was slightly better than HAL's and the pizza was great, but we enoyed the fresh orange juice that HAL has in the buffet at breakfast.

Entertainment - In terms of shows, we prefer HAL, but Princess had better lounge music than our last HAL cruise.

Activities - HAL offers more traditional cruise activities (putting, bocci, shuffleboard, etc) than Princess.

We are about to take our 2nd Princess cruise. Why Princess again instead of HAL? We are traveling with family including children and teens. Also, Princess was less expensive.

I have been on both HAL and princess 3 times each. Agree with prior posters about slightly older passengers on HAL. Princess has more alternative dining choices on the ships and personal choice dining. HAL has the traditional dining and just one alternative restaurant, though you can also eat dinner at the buffet where you go through the line to get an appetizer and salad and the entree is brought to the table. Service and food quality seemed a little better to me on HAL and there is a slightly more elegant atmosphere. Princess has larger children's areas on their ships. HAL has a guy who walks through the ship ringing chimes when it is time for dinner and has free ice cream at the buffet. There are things about each line that I like better than the other. The choice for the next cruise will probably come down to price and availability.

Princess has better entertainment, better on board activities, and better shore excusions.

Holland America has better rooms, better food, and better service.

Both provide a wonderful cruise experience.

I haven't cruised HAL yet (will do so a year from now) but one difference I believe is true is that all Princess ships have do-it-yourself laundries so that you don't have to pack as much or send as much out to the ship's laundry.

We have been on both several times and I agree with most of what is posted above. We have enjoyed the PC dining option which HAL doesn't offer. Cabins are little bigger on HAL IMHO and the general atmosphere a little more refinined. But both are really nice cruise lines and I don't think you can go to wrong sailng on either.

Have a great next cruise.

Advantages HAL. Larger cabins, with flat screen TVs. Real OJ in the Lido at breakfast, and 'free' fancy coffees at dinner, and the regular coffee is far better.

Advantages Princess. Far better entertainment, and tours. Slightly better food, with more variety at breakfast and lunch, wonderful lunch deserts in the Horizon, on sea days. Traditional, or 'come anytime dining'.Friendlier and more helpful staff with a better daily bulletin, and daily events spelled out on TV by the CD, [the latter was not done on my last HAL cruise].

These observations are largely based on my last Princess cruise, [sea Princess Dec. 2005], and my last HAL cruise Statendam May 2006]. These points of interest however I believe are more or less common on most of the rival cruise ships, although the lack of the CD reports on HAL may have been an isolated case.

I favour Princess, largely because of the cruise staffs' attitude towards the cruisers, however this is not a 'put down' on HAL, it is only my opinion.

john

Archived