Lobster bakes (or rest.) in Halifax and St. John?

Where can I find lobster bakes in Halifax and St. John??? I don't want to sit down at a restaurant and be served, I want a more "raw" experience of a lobster bake. All the ones that the ship does are combined with other excursions, which I don't think I want.

Am I right that this is a better way to have lobster rather than sit down at a regular restaurant? I guess I would not be totally opposed to having lobster at a restaurant, as long as the lobsters are great, and the decor is funky/cool/neat. What would you recommend me to do? Having real, fresh lobster is going to be one of the highlights of our day, I don't want to waste our time and money in some restaurant that serves lobster that's no better than what's onboard... or even worse, get caught in a tourist trap with crappy food.

i have asked this question before also and have come up empty with replies :rolleyes: . i want to do this in portland and get a real maine lobster at a bake of some sort '' not ''' with the ship. my next option is too go to the web and do a new england/canada lobster bake search. there has too be a tour co. out there that offers them. good luck in your lobster adventure :D

All the restaurants in downtown Halifax serve fresh, local lobster. They are just as real as ones you would eat at a lobster boil (they are not baked). They will not be the same as the ones you eat on the ship - the waiter will not remove it from the shell for you, there will be no special seasoning or cream sauce.

I don't know of any tour companies in Halifax that offer lobster boils....probably because there are lots of seafood restaurants on the waterfront anyways. Here are just a few:

Murphy's on The Water http://www.murphysonthewater.com/dining.html

Salty's http://www.saltys.ca/

Waterfront Warehouse http://www.rcr.ca/waterfront_warehouse_welcome.html

thanks for the links and the names of the places to eat. i will check them out and save them.

i am not booking any tours before i get too the ports. ( actually i have almost maxed out the cc card :eek: ) so i am not charging anything on it for months. it sounds like it will be easy to get all the lobster i want on my own and i might see a tour to do that is cheaper than the ship that i can pay cash for. it is more fun anyway to see what i can spure of the moment when i get off the ship besides eat and shop. :D

Where can I find lobster bakes in Halifax and St. John??? I don't want to sit down at a restaurant and be served, I want a more "raw" experience of a lobster bake. All the ones that the ship does are combined with other excursions, which I don't think I want.

Am I right that this is a better way to have lobster rather than sit down at a regular restaurant? I guess I would not be totally opposed to having lobster at a restaurant, as long as the lobsters are great, and the decor is funky/cool/neat. What would you recommend me to do? Having real, fresh lobster is going to be one of the highlights of our day, I don't want to waste our time and money in some restaurant that serves lobster that's no better than what's onboard... or even worse, get caught in a tourist trap with crappy food.

In Saint John across from where the boat docks there is a resturant called steamers. they have an outdoor area where they have large boilers where they cook the lobster and they have tables and chairs for you to eat at. there is usually someone there singing as well.

steamers sounds like the place i want. i am going to put it in my folder for things to do in the port. i am finally starting to think about things that i really want to do in the ports and spend the '' ole buck '' on. i am not making any tours in advance so this is great info.

thanks alot. i want to be up too my elbows in butter and lobster in a mannerly way where it wont bother other patrons :D .

• 2 weeks later...

Loved Murphy's on the Water in Halifax..and you don't need a tour there.. you can walk up to the fortress, down along the dock to Maritime Museum, take inexpensive harbor cruise (book that the day you get there early).. this is such a great port with so much in walking distance to more than fill up a day. The maps you might see online make the fortress etc. look furtehr than they are..

Archived