Whale Watching

BlondyX

Hi Everyone.

I am leaving on my cruise on Aug. 13th and spending 2 days prior in Vancouver. Most of the ports offer whale watching excursions but there are also trips to book in Vancouver. One of my biggest dreams is to see whales, so my question is which port should I book the whale watching excursion? Should I do it in Vancouver and then book something else in the Alaskan ports? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Juli:)

I am in the same situation. It depends somewhat on what type of whales you want to see. I want to see orca's (killer whales...shamu) the most so, we are going with seacost expeditions in Victoria on vancouver island...it requires getting over to the island though. If you really want to see humpbacks then I understand Juneau is a good spot. I'm so excited because we are leaving in 7 days!!!

I don't care if its humpbacks or orca's. I know the odds of seeing one breach aren't good, but to see the tail with the water dripping. I think I may have to wear depends on that excursion :o I would be so excited!!

I am jealous I wish I were leaving in 7 days!! I have 77! But that's better than the 150 or so that it was when I booked it!

Our cruise isn't until June 2007, but right now I'm leaning towards spending 2 days in Victoria and 2 in Vancouver before the cruise, and doing a whale-watching expedition out of Victoria. That will free up Juneau for other excursions - since there are so many things one can do there!

I wanted to see Orcas. Since we were arriving a few days early, we are doing the whale watching out of Anacortes, WA with Island Adventure. They guarantee whale sightings or you come back until you do. It just makes more sense to do the whale watching where there is a very large known population of them.

From an Alaska cruise. the port for whale watch tours is Juneau.

Vancouver in the past has been "iffy". If orcas are a priority, head to Victoria, or Friday Harbor. I have been going with Seacoast Expediations for several years out of Victoria, but I also most often go out twice. I always have a car to get to their loading. And I suggest you be sure to be their first pick up. They sometimes will stop along the way at hotels and pick up. I like the back row of the boat for full viewing, and not sitting facing out the side.

...It just makes more sense to do the whale watching where there is a very large known population of them.

Agreed. If you want to see Orcas, go to Victoria where there is a very large known population of them. If you want to see Humpbacks, go to Juneau or Icy Strait Point where there is a very large known population of them.

-Case

Archived