lost luggage

Kroosin

As my cruise date approaches I find myself worrying about the most ridiculous things! This ones really got me wondering though. We're arriving in Rome two days ahead of our cruise. The cruise company didn't book our flight. What if our luggage doesn't make it before the ship leaves Rome? Will/can the cruiseline or the air carrier make an effort to get our bags to us in another Itallian port? Should we have a copy of itinerary available to give to the airline just in case. I was fine about this until I saw a report on 60Minutes about lost luggage! Now I'm jampacking my carryon. I think I'm going to give up all news media until I take off! Needless to say I'll be passing up the new Posseidon movie!

With coming in a couple of days early I think that the extra time would be enough to get your luggage to you if it should wander. Here is a suggestion - make sure that the top thing inside of your luggage is your itinerary, including the hotel you are staying at in Rome. Maybe even put a piece of duct tape on the outside with the hotels address and phone number?

We put colorful duct tape on the corners of our luggage so they are easily spotted. This has also helped keep it together when we take a bump and our luggage goes ahead of us.

You could also take a digital picture of your luggage so that the airline could identifiy it easily, also. It makes it easier when telling them what it looks like from those placards they use for identifying different types of luggage.

I also make sure my carry-on has changes of clothes - just in case!

Also, I suggest to cross pack just in case some of the luggage doesn't make it. Put some of each type of each person's clothing in each suitcase.

After you do all of this, your luggage will surely not wander!!!!!

I have always wanted to go to Rome. Through a coin in Trevi Fountain for me!

Have a great cruise!

If you are going 2 days early your luggage should arrive with you or soon afterwards. It should come the next flight and the airline will deliver it.

I would as other suggested put your hotel & ship information in an outside pocket in your luggage. I also have Aerotags on my luggage

http://www.aerotag.com/new/PP_E/1PPwhatis_E.cfm

Do NOT put your cruiseline tags on the luggage till you are leaving the hotel

Do not stuff that carry -on to much as they do have weight restrictions for them at the airport.:)

Stop worring and enjoy the cruise.;)

Thanks so much for those tips. Cross packing in everyone elses suitcase is a great idea! So is the duct tape. I had no idea they were weighing carry-ons! That's good to know.

I have never had my carry-on weighed - - - yet. I have had my regular luggage weighed and almost had to pay the $25 because it was 52 pounds! A nice agent let it slip past! Just be sure to keep your checked luggage under the 50 pound weight limit.

Michelle

Archived