Just HOME from Boston/MAASDAM

FlorenceItaly

Boston - One day pre-cruise, and one day post-cruise - What a wonderful,

beautiful city. I absolutely loved it, and hope to return sometime. Pre-cruise was at the Hyatt through Priceline, and post-cruise at The Omni Parker House through Orbitz.

This was my first HAL cruise(previously cruised Carnival and RCI). I really enjoyed HAL. Service was good, honestly, and some won't like this, but didn't see a real difference in service from the other two cruiselines. It was good, NO COMPLAINTS, but not exceptional.

IMO, the dining room food was excellent. I ate several breakfasts, lunches, and all but one dinner in the dining room. Really enjoyed the desserts too.

I had wonderful tablemates, and some I spent time with aside from dinner(this was my first solo cruise).

I really enjoyed some of the extras on this line....the Java Cafe, the movie theatre(viewed one movie). Also, enjoyed the appetizers in the lounges before dinner, and the chocolate in the Explorer lounge. Also, the library was wonderful.

I have absolutely NO complaints, and really enjoyed the cruise, and this cruise line, and look forward to sailing it again. This was a wonderful itinerary.

Feel free to ask questions....more later, literally just got in :).

Marc - you and your wife will LOVE the Maasdam, and really enjoy HAL. Look forward to this cruise with wonderful anticipation because you are going to have a wonderful time.

Marie

Welcome Back, Marie. So happy to hear you enjoyed your cruise so much.l

Isn't Maasdam a beautiful ship? We think her very elegant.

Happy to hear the dining room was good. We were wondering (after some of the things we have read) if it was not up to what it should be. Happy to hear your opinion was so positive.

We are looking forward to our cruise....our countdown is getting very short.

:) Marie

Welcome home.

So glad that you enjoyed your cruise of the Maasdam. We have been on her several times.

Do you know: Has the air-conditioning been repaired in the piano bar?

Do you know: Are 8 elevators working?

We posted those questions on another thread and so far there hasn't been a response.

Thank you.

:)

KK - I spent some time in the Piano Bar, and in my opinion the A/C was not working. Also, the pianist had a fan beside her, so I think that was some indication too :).

To my knowledge, all elevators were working. Also, there was never a wait for the elevators.

This is a beautiful ship, and you will have a wonderful time.

** Well, I guess I could have put this all in one post, instead of 3 different ones, but I am tired, and not thinking clearly, LOL**

Clopaw - Most of my excursions were with HAL because I was cruising solo and felt more comfortable doing it this way, BUT, at every port there were operators also offering tours.

Martha's Vineyard - The ship DID offer one afterall, even though the website did not show it. I took the ship sponsored one and really enjoyed it. My tour guide was Leslie and she was delightful. She has lived on the island 50 years, and knew so much. Also, we visited another place beside MV but the name escapes me, will look tomorrow.

Portland, Maine - I took the Duck Tour(from ship) and the Kennebunkport Sightseeing. I don't recommend the Duck Tour, it was okay, but not worth $39 IMO. I would recommend taking a trolley tour from one of the local companies. I think it is only about $14 or so. It rained that day in Portland so my umbrella really came in handy.

St John, New Brunswick - took a tour from an independent operator at the port...a bus tour, we visited several sites, and I really enjoyed it.

Halifax - Went to Peggy's Cove(from ship). The drive is one hour each way, with windy roads, so if you are prone to motion sickness, take meds. This is information I wish I would have known. It's a must see.

Bar Harbor, Maine - Best of Both World's(from ship). Really enjoyed this tour. One of the stops is Acadia National Park, and this is a MUST SEE. I hope to sometime take a land vacation here and spend more time. I also did some shopping in town, after the tour. I really liked this port.

Feel free to ask questions, as I realize I was not very specific.

Marie

Marie,

Was just thinking about you today. Went to visit my son and DIL and we all went for a walk around the neighborhood. One of the cars had a license plate that read EXLTHIM.

Thanks for posting your thoughts. I'm really glad you had a great time and enjoyed the ship. Makes me even more anxious. This week people on the boards started discussing sailaway. I had asked my brother and his partner to join us a while back, but it didn't seem likely. But I spoke with him yesterday and I seemed to get him interested. Gave him details and he asked for the web address of my TA.

Welcome home, time to look forward to the next cruise.:D A friend at work just got back from his first cruise on the Mariner of the Seas and had the time of his life.

Marc

Welcome Back Marie, I am so glad you had a great time and that you had great table mates. It sounds like the "solo cruising" worked out well.

Now the unpacking and getting back to every day routine.

Once you get settled you can then play on the new boards.:D

Hi Marie!

Glad you are back safe and sound and that the weather was good:) Tomorrow you will wake up and wonder where your room service breakfast is???? :eek: Welcome home and back to the real world;)

Welcome home, Marie! And thank you for your kind words about our city.

What tour did HAL offer at the Vineyard? Was it the bus tour of the island that gave you an hour at your leisure in Edgartown?

Your review made me so homesick for the Maasdam. You seemed to enjoy and feel the same way we did and did many of the same excursions. I only wish they had offered the MV tour our week. Sounds like you did the Pinnacle one night. Did you? How was that? I saw movies almost every night and the shows. Lots to do or just sit in the wonderful library. We did the Hyatt too and thought it was just fine. Did you have a big cushy fluffy bed?

And did you get that Lobster in Boston? We will do this cruise again but probalby a different ship the next time.

And did you get that Lobster in Boston? We will do this cruise again but probalby a different ship the next time.
Sorry, but there is no such thing as lobster in Boston. It's lobstah. And by the way you can get some excellent chowdah there.

Also, why would you prefer a bigger ship next time? Just curious as I'm sailing the Maasdam in 4 months.

Hello All- My auto reply is not working, anyone else???

Lisa63 - Yes, that is the one we did, went to Edgartown. What a wonderful tour that was, and Leslie was a delight. I think many of the tour guides were locals.

I did not dine at the Pinnacle, because I didn't want to dine solo. Also, my tablemates were enjoyable, and the food in the dining room was very good. If I had not been cruising solo, I would have dined there FOR SURE. I did not find anyone who wanted to join me.

Yes, I did partake of the local cuisine while in port...that's part of the ambiance :). Even while in Boston, I dined at an outside cafe. It was a bit drizzly, and the server tried to talk me out of it, but I told him I wanted to experience Boston!

Marc - I do hope your brother and partner decide to join you. I observed many partners traveling together, and feel sure they would enjoy this ship.

The "nightlife" is not your typical Carnival or RCI, but there is plenty to do.

I did miss kareoke though, LOL. I enjoyed HAL so much that I wish my dh and I were traveling HAL in October, but for various reasons we must stay with our original plans.

Also, about solo traveling - HAL offers many opportunities for the singles to meet.

Marie

I keep forgetting to mention what I did as far as tipping. I left my auto tips in place, and tipped additionally the wine steward and yum-yum man. The yum-yum man and I established a relationship. He was very kind to me since I was traveling solo. There was another person who was also very kind to me, but I did not see him later on the trip, otherwise I would have tipped him.

Marie

Hi!

I'm glad you had a great trip. We are planning to be on the Maasdam the week of July 24th. Can you please tell me which night is Dutch night? We would like to eat in the Pinnacle on that night. Thanks.

Reggie

Welcome Home Marie!

I enjoyed reading your review(s) and am glad your first HAL experience was a wonderful one.

I will be sailing the Maasdam in a few weeks and am very much looking forward to it. It will be my first cruise on her and on this itinerary. I, too, am traveling solo and will be staying at the Hyatt pre-cruise. However, I am very fortunate to be joining a wonderful couple onboard that I met last year on the Zuiderdam who I became very good friends with and am anxious to see again. :)

I'm a southern lady who normally cruise the tropics, so it's interesting to me that in July I have to consider packing clothes in the event of cool days or nights. Can you share with me what the temperature was like during your week onboard? As much as I always try to cut back on my packing, it just never happens. I hate to be unprepared or wish I had brought xxx with me.

I remember reading your posts prior to your cruise and knew you were excited to go. I am truly glad that you weren't disappointed. :) Your review has increased my anxiety another notch. Thank you. icon14.gif

Now Orcrone........

Must I mention one should never generalize? :D

DH and I have lived in Boston all of our lives and have learned to speak English in a form understandable by all who speak the language.

We always eat lobstER, we parRk our caR and most people have no clue from where we hail when we first meet. But so many always feel it necessary to make a dig about "parking our car in Harvard Yard" when just moments previously they needed to ask where we were from. If it were necessary to tease about our speech, why didn't they know we were from Boston to begin with if our accent were so exagerrated? Guess that question answers itself. I find it insulting, franklyl.

(Now for those who are thinking I am ripping into Marc.....please figure out that I have a smile on my face and am teasing with him.....But truly iIdo get sick and tired of those from such states as the folks sound like they are speaking with marbles in their mouths and drawling their sentences to thinking no one from Boston has proper diction!!)

s7s,

Glad I didn't send my post directly to you.:D It was just poking a little general fun at Mass accents.

I understand what you say about comments from people speaking with you. I grew up in NYC and lived 10 years in Massachusetts. So I've picked up a little of that accent. However, I now live in the south but there is nothing southern about my accent. But I've had people speak to me with my Brooklyn/Massachusetts accent, and make fun of my southern accent.

Reggie - I believe Dutch Night is Wednesday evening. It is the one night I just happened to not dine in the dining room, but in looking at my papers, have figured out I think it was Wednesday. Can anyone else confirm that has been on this itinerary?

LovelifeatSea - You are going to love the Maasdam and this cruise. My Cruise Log indicates that our highest temp was in Boston when we sailed out at 79 degrees. Other temps ranged from high 50's - mid 60's, but I think in July you may have more 60-70's. Bring a windbreaker and umbrella and you will be fine. I mainly wore capri's and was fine.

I know you are traveling with another couple, but consider going to the singles meet and greets. I went, even though married, was interested in meeting other solo travelers. Oh, and about the Hyatt...you will love the heavenly beds!!!!!!!

Marie

Marc - I heard from someone else no upgrades were available....I did not inquire on my own, as I decided I was quite happy where I was.

Btw, my cabin attendant was just okay. As I mentioned previously, the service was as good as Carnival or RCI, not exceptional as HAL was once known for, or so I hear.

Marie

Weds is Dutch night on that one but they didn't mention it in the newsletter.

We knew by the menu and the hats! I dined Pinnacle solo since my wife just can't eat that much at one seating. I ate early at 6PM with the family sampling a few things I could not go without saving room for my 9PM at the Pinnacle. Eating solo I am able to savor the meal and feel like I am a food critic as I slowly chew each bite. You get that individual service too!

I don't neccesarrily need a bigger ship next time, just a different ship. We have a goal in our cruise experience to never sail the same ship twice since there are so many to choose from. It adds to the excitement when you first board a totally new ship to us. Size is not important as where it leaves from

(we have to drive to the ports) and the price. The ship line name does not bother us as we find things we like about all of them. The only expection we made was to Disney who only has 2 ships in the fleet. We've done Diseny 4 times and had to go again on the same ship.

Marie, thanks for the info on shore excursions. I was especially glad to hear you enjoyed the one in Bar Harbor. We selected that one also, and I have been dithering about sticking with it or trying to find something on our own.

Did you happen to notice the taxi situation at the pier? We opted not to use the HAL transfers because the price we were quoted by our TA was high. I know we can get to the pier fine, but I'm concerned about getting a cab back to the airport when the cruise is over.

I had absolutely no problem getting a cab from the pier at the end of the cruise. Embarkation and disembarkation was a breeze, unlike Florida ports, LOL. Also, we went through customs Friday evening, so we did not have to do it Saturday morning. It only took a few minutes on Friday evening.

Marie

Archived