Pet Cruise

[quote name='mconthehighseas']Rowtyd - it looks like you are sampling all the cruise lines! How did you like the Pride of Aloha? I saw the article that one of their cruises was cancelled. Do you know anything more about that?[/QUOTE]

Hey Mc-

What you read about one of the POA's cruise's being cancelled is correct-the official word from NCLA is that the crew was "exhausted". The trip they cancelled was a week after the cruise I took, and I must say that my ship experience was less than stellar. In short, this was the first cruise following a rehab under which the NCL Sky was turned in NCLA Pride Of Aloha. The ship was nowhere ready to be put in service. Deck pieces, duct tape, water stains, out of order bathrooms (and caution tape roping off the "dump sites") and more could be seen throughout the ship. The service was fine, had no problem, the crew was nice while working (while on shore during leave was another matter), and I could even give some leeway on the ship not being ready yet...but the absolute worst part of the trip was the food! It was horrible, cold, and mismatched! Well anyway, I won't go on and on, because I really had a nice trip-had to find burger joints while in port to eat most of the time, but everything else was nice. The whole issue of BOTH the POA's first two cruises was a very hot topic on the NCL boards for the past two weeks. Now the ship has made it to Hawaii and it appears from recent posts that things have improved. I might try NCL again at a later time, but it would have to be a very good price for a cruise and a ship that was no older than 3 years. I would not take the POA on a cruise in Hawaii, don't know which line/ship I would take there, but I know and won't recommend the POA for a cruise around the islands.

If you're interested in finding out more of the gory details here's a link to a rather detailed review (both good and bad) of the four day trip:
[url]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=28118[/url]
Also, if you want to check out some of the negative aspects of the ship here's a link to some pics that we snapped onboard:
[url]http://community.webshots.com/album/152413276whvvjI[/url]

Well, after sampling the three lines I've been on so far Carnival's Pride has impressed me the most (it's also been the newest ship-). I can't wait until T'giving to try out the Brilliance!
And oh yeah, if there's ever a cruise where you can take you pets I'll be booking a cabin on that ship for sure! :D

Wow, Rowtyd, that's quite an indictment of a cruise, when you have to wait to get to port to buy fast food. I was on a NCL cruise in 1990, and the only complaint I had was the cruise was too short. Sounds like yours was too long! (Especially since you had to be away from your dogs as well. ;) )

I haven't been on the Brilliance, but you should have a fabulous time. There are a lot of repeat cruisers for that ship, which is always a good sign. (I have read about the thermal suites, and I am envious!) If you see any notes on the board with the initials BBC in the title, - or in people's IDs! - it stands for Brilliant Brilliance Cruiser(s). You apparently are about to join an elite bunch - hope it makes up for your Aloha cruise.

[quote name='mconthehighseas'] I have read about the thermal suites, and I am envious! [/QUOTE]

Please, tell me about these "thermal suites"-I've never heard of them (and I could always use something extra to get pumped about!) ;)

Rowtyd - I don't know much about them, but this is from the RCCL website:
"Thermal Suite
The Thermal Suite is a communal relaxation center that has an ambiance similar to a Turkish Bath. Different grottos and chambers release a variety of dry heat, steam and mists into the air with aromatherapy-filled vapors. Relax on a heated ceramic lounge and allow the pressures of life to rinse away. "

As I understand it, there are a few suites in the spa, and they rent them out; you can pay for one session or purchase a pass to let you in when you "need" it thruout the cruise. If you go to your roll call and ask, ther's bound to be someone who has used one on a previous cruise. and of course, you can find out at the spa when you do cruise. These are only on the Radiance, Brilliance, Serenade and Jewel, last I checked.

• 2 weeks later...
Actually, I remember (decades ago) dogs and cats on a transAtlantic voyage. I was much younger then, and cannot even remember the name of the ship, but I believe that it was English. This was back in the days of 3 classes!

I love my English Springer to pieces and often the hardest part of leaving for the cruise is leaving her at the pet lodge however....she would be no fun on a cruise because of motion sickness. She loves to ride in the car but turns green after about a minute of traveling. Some one posted about dramamine for animals.....I have to give Lacie dramamine anytime she needs to ride in the car like to the vets or to the pet lodge. If not she gets, well, sick as a dog!

Archived